Road Tripping In Scotland

Apologies if a thread like this already exists.

Traveled around Canada last year and since I have came back I have always said I would explore our little country a bit. Now that summer is here, where do you guys suggest to go and explore?

Was up at Lochearnhead on Monday, really nice place and enjoyed the peace and quiet, and want to explore further north and west.

Will likely just be and my Labrador, so dog friendly recommendations are welcome.

NW Highlands beyond Ullapool without a doubt. Loads of cracking beaches for the dug too (Western Isles steal too much attention imo). Best pies in Scotland at Lochinver. Smoo Cave to reward those who venture right to the top. Bizarre set of superb hills.

Too many people get to Ullapool and think "done it". Best part of Scotland imo (with Weegies being non-existent in the pubs a big bonus).

How long have you got? :lol:

Time-permitting, head to Glencoe via Loch Earn, then up to Fort William and Spean Bridge, follow the road to Kyle of Lochalsh, which passed through Kintail/Glen Shiel. This is awesome. Across the bridge to Skye (on the rare occasions it isn't pishing down) and faff around there, particularly Glen Sligachan and Portree. Then back through Kyle and head for Applecross, which has one of the best pubs for location and scran I've ever been to. When i did this i followed the coast road to Torridon (fucking amazing place) then back down the A9, stopping by Rothiemurchus and Loch Morlich if you can be arsed.

If you've got loads of time, head further north to Assynt.

Scotland is fucking great.

NW Highlands beyond Ullapool without a doubt. Loads of cracking beaches for the dug too (Western Isles steal too much attention imo). Best pies in Scotland at Lochinver. Smoo Cave to reward those who venture right to the top. Bizarre set of superb hills.

Too many people get to Ullapool and think "done it". Best part of Scotland imo (with Weegies being non-existent in the pubs a big bonus).

Haud your wheesht Hedgecutter. Don't tell everyone.

Worth stopping off in Ullapool for great fish & chips which is combined with the excellent Seaforth Restaurant. (Eat in or takeaway)

Agree about the drive from there to Durness via Lochinver. Also worth thinking about a run along that northern coastline to Tongue, and then head south to Falls of Shin. The dug might be able to catch a salmon there.

Ullapool is great. music food and head up to Ardmair bay and watch the sunset over the Summer Isles. I have been in Brasil and the Caribbean and nothing beats Scotlands West coast. .

I used to work in the hotel at Torridon, if you're minted it's a beautiful place to stay. If not there's a campsite in the village and it's still a beautiful place to stay.

A trip to Knoydart, which has britains most inaccessible pub is a must. You need to either walk something like 12 miles or get a boat.

Aberdeenshire has some great places to visit, castles and whisky- what more could you want?

Orkney is worth a visit.

If you haven't done Loch Ness and you don't mind millions of yank tourists, that would be the place to start IMO.

There's loads of bits of Scotland that get bypassed by people going to the big cities - one of my favourite parts of the country although not in the NW is down in Galloway - the scenery looks like a scaled down version of the Highlands, and there's loads of cracking wee towns like Kirkcudbright, Gatehouse of Fleet and Wigtown.

For full-on bleakness though, go to the flow country on the way to Wick and Thurso - you end up coming out the other side of the Highlands, and it begins to look like subarctic tundra like you'd see in Iceland, with hardly a soul for miles.

Haud your wheesht Hedgecutter. Don't tell everyone.

Did I say Ullapool? I meant the area just north of Poolewe, sorry. What am I like. Nothing to see north of Ullapool. Flat and boggy with no good pubs or food establishments and a complete waste of petrol money.

...worth thinking about a run along that northern coastline to Tongue, and then head south to Falls of Shin. The dug might be able to catch a salmon there.

Lairg's just a dull place you pass through going to Durness for me (I'd hate to live there). The Altnaharra road down there from Tongue ain't going to be winning any great road trip awards either but the alternatives are coming back the same way you came or going via Helmsdale & Brora I suppose. The Falls of Shin visitor centre is also out of action since it was burnt to a crisp.

All of the above are good shouts.

Assuming you don't want to do 7/8 hour Hill walks I would recommend the following. Other than petrol they won't break the bank.

Take a drive north out of ullapool to see the coigach hills, walk up stac pollaidh (all good paths and a 2/3 hour walk) then carry on out west to the fuaran inn at altandhu for a pint and fish overlooking the summer isles.

Go to loch katrine and hire a bike. Get the boat along the loch to stronachlachar and then cycle back along the loch. Any number of great wee country pubs in the trossachs for a pint and dinner after.

Go to Skye and head to loch harport. Providing the sun is out fantastic views of the red and black cuillin. Take a walk at talisker bay then visit the talisker distillery. The old inn at carbost for dinner and a pint. Fantastic seafood and they do great folk nights on a Friday.

Glen clova in Angus. Take a walk from the ranger centre up to corrie fee,beautiful alpine corrie unique in Scotland, then back to clova hotel for a pint.

The great Glen is really nice. The eagle floating pub is recommended and although some people aren't into it I really like fort Augustus.

#Perthshire is just superb. Pitlochry, Kenmore, dunkeld etc are all beautiful and Invergowrie has a co-op and a choice of two hairdressers.

Glen clova in Angus. Take a walk from the ranger centre up to corrie fee,beautiful alpine corrie unique in Scotland, then back to clova hotel for a pint.

Folk that have made the effort to get to the waterfall there can also tick off a couple of extra Munros (Mayar and Dreish) with little extra effort... if they're into the walking scene. Piece of piss once you're up on the 'plateau' with views stretching from the North Sea to the Cairngorms on a good day.

The head of the glen is a weird place in the way that you'd think you were in Glencoe or something despite not being that far away from Dundee. A hidden gem indeed.

Apologies if a thread like this already exists.

Traveled around Canada last year and since I have came back I have always said I would explore our little country a bit. Now that summer is here, where do you guys suggest to go and explore?

Was up at Lochearnhead on Monday, really nice place and enjoyed the peace and quiet, and want to explore further north and west.

Will likely just be and my Labrador, so dog friendly recommendations are welcome.

Nice segue from Canada to Labrador in one post.

Haw mods, should this pish be punted to 'The Travel Forum' or NSFW?

Did I say Ullapool? I meant the area just north of Poolewe, sorry. What am I like. Nothing to see north of Ullapool. Flat and boggy with no good pubs or food establishments and a complete waste of petrol money.

Lairg's just a dull place you pass through going to Durness for me (I'd hate to live there). The Altnaharra road down there from Tongue ain't going to be winning any great road trip awards either but the alternatives are coming back the same way you came or going via Helmsdale & Brora I suppose. The Falls of Shin visitor centre is also out of action since it was burnt to a crisp.

Mohammed al Fayed insurance job?

Thanks for the advice guys. Heading to Ballachullish then driving over to the Cairngorms and spend the night in probably Kingussie or Newtonmore before coming back on Sunday.

It's a start but plenty more traveling to do.

Archived