Bit Of A Pedant?

Could someone please explain to me how being a grammar pedant automatically means they should be spending more time chasing lassies? Not that I was any good at either myself when I was that age, but I knew my fair share of people who could pull off both comfortably.

It probably didn't take this guy much more time to email BMW than it did for the OP to start this thread too. It's not how I was spending my time at his age, but it's hardly going to prevent him from having time for a social life.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It probably didn't take this guy much more time to email BMW than it did for the OP to start this thread too. It's not how I was spending my time at his age, but it's hardly going to prevent him from having time for a social life.

^^^has just emailed BMW imo......

But BMW aren't the only ones he has contacted.

True that. I think the more telling point people should be taking from this is that a 15 year old kid, pedant or not, still showed a better understanding of the English language than a globalised company did.

FWIW, I wouldn't have thought anything of that grammatical error had it not been fused into the back of my head from watching Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang.

More importantly for him he needs a better English teacher who'd prevent him making a right chunt of himself on the interwebs. There is nothing wrong, grammatically, with '“Bites As Bad As It Barks”. English isn't Latin or Greek and if English wants to use 'bad' as an adverb it's perfectly acceptable.

More importantly for him he needs a better English teacher who'd prevent him making a right chunt of himself on the interwebs. There is nothing wrong, grammatically, with '“Bites As Bad As It Barks”. English isn't Latin or Greek and if English wants to use 'bad' as an adverb it's perfectly acceptable.

Badly is an adverb, but it is used in the wrong context. 'Bites as bad as it barks' implies that it bites and barks poorly.

tumblr_n72v5hV3gC1rtwmxqo2_500.gif

Badly is an adverb, but it is used in the wrong context. 'Bites as bad as it barks' implies that it bites and barks poorly.

Bollocks.

A perfectly acceptable 'English' phrase would be, say,, "Its bite is as bad as its bark". I am sure even you would accept that.

Changing these words around only a little would end up with, "Bites as bad as it barks". This is quite different to, "Bites as badly as it barks".

You have either little grasp of English or you're Albert. Which would you prefer to confess to?

NB no adverbs were harmed in the making of this post.

^^^^ kens the FT style guide and keeps attendance figures at Lithgae ;)

Ha ha. I'm not sure about the FT style guide but I did do a course on presentation and although I don't always see the logic of certain rules (see the numbers one for example) I do use them.

I leave the attendance figures to others but, yes, I am guilty of being a figures person as well. I assume it shows. :lol:

You should really have written "three" rather than 3 there. It's the general rule for small numbers. :P

At least we're on the correct thread.

Bollocks.

A perfectly acceptable 'English' phrase would be, say,, "Its bite is as bad as its bark". I am sure even you would accept that.

Changing these words around only a little would end up with, "Bites as bad as it barks". This is quite different to, "Bites as badly as it barks".

You have either little grasp of English or you're Albert. Which would you prefer to confess to?

NB no adverbs were harmed in the making of this post.

I never said that wasn't how it should went.

Archived