Group D final games, 5pm Tuesday

Mr Bairn

roy-keane_1342720c.jpg

is what they're talking about. A premeditated assault designed to put the guy in hospital. I'm certainly not defending Suarez but I would support those who say that a deliberate attempt to break a leg is a far more serious offence. A mistimed tackle is a different thing altogether.

Exactly.

Thought that was fairly obvious tbh.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would dish out a ban covering all competitions for between 6-12 months to Suarez. He finished the game really poorly, which might have been due to his mind being scrambled after what he did. He must know he won't get away with it and that the implications for him will be dire.

Chiellini is surely likely to be looking at a punishment for those comments as well.

Most likely, but at least he's forcing FIFA to make a decision.

In other news Prandelli is going to resign.

Not surprising. Thought he's done really well with the national team, Euro 2012 was excellent, but somehow never clicked this year.

More saddened that Buffon and Pirlo's international careers have ended this way.

Not a chance that will happen, they will distance themselves completely from this.

Huge chance for FIFA to either prove that they actually care about football, or that they don't and they carry through with another f**k up of a decision.

The stupid thing is, he is being linked to Barcelona and Real Madrid again. If you were Brendan Rodgers what would you do in this situation?

"You've been a bad boy once too often Luis, for that reason we are going to accept Madrid's £95M bid. Now run along and sign your £375,000 per week contract."

Fucking madness. I don't think he is as stupid as some people think you know.

A life ban is nonsense. But its clear he has learned nothing from a 10 game ban just a year ago. Something more significant is clearly warranted. The question is from what and how long? Should any ban apply to club football? If it doesnt it will take years to serve and in reality how much would he actually be bothered by an international ban unless it covered the next World Cup Finals?

Maybe a ban from all football for three months or something similar?

Was there an element of suspended ban in his FA ban? I cant remember. If so might it now kick in too?

Would Liverpool be entitled to any compensation if one of their players was banned by FIFA when on non-club duty? I'm guessing it's not the same as the police lifting him and sticking him in a cell for X period of time?

Basically, will the potential cost to FIFA be a major factor in what they dish out to Suarez?

Please explain why a life ban is nonsense. There is absolutely no precedent for this because it's not something normal people do, but if we have to set one I don't feel any punishment is more fitting.

Because nobody was seriously hurt. Even murderers get allowed back into the working community eventually. Talk of a "life ban" is absolutely nonsense. But a lengthy ban is clearly necessary and as an absolute minimum his tournament must be over.

Duncan Ferguson got 44 days in Barlinnie for a headbut. Given Suarez is a repeat offender, a more extensive period in a Brazilian nick would seem to be the most appropriate solution.

It wasn't just for the one offence, he had fucked up a couple of times previously.

Would Liverpool be entitled to any compensation if one of their players was banned by FIFA when on non-club duty? I'm guessing it's not the same as the police lifting him and sticking him in a cell for X period of time?

Basically, will the potential cost to FIFA be a major factor in what they dish out to Suarez?

Surely any compo would be achieved by fining suarez?

This is really taking the heat away from Hodgson and England's abject performances.

Whatever ban Suarez gets, he deserves it. I hope Liverpool punish him as well.

It acually makes things quite awkward for Liverpool now given all their comments after his previous offence and "excessive" punishment. They talked then about dealing with it as a club and making sure it never happened again. Now it would be easy to put their heads in the sand and point out it didn't happen on Liverpool duty and ignore it but it would be very hypocritical to do so.

The decision may well be taken out of their hands but if any ban only applies to internationals then Suarez is surely too important for them to take a moral stand and give him a club punishment.

The whole thing is madness. He's probably one of the best half dozen players in the world. He's done this twice already. It could hardly be more high profile with more cameras pointed at him. What on earth is he thinking? He can't possibly have thought he'd get away with it?

I don't know but it's not really the same as getting injured is it? That's simply an unfortunate accident but this is simply his own fault and surely the risk you take when employing a fucking nutcase.

I'd expect Liverpool to stand by him and get him the help he clearly needs. The transfer talk was just beginning to heat up (father in law comments and all) surely this will put an end to any move. Whether it's August, December or whenever that we next see him kick a ball remains to be seen.

There's absolutely no chance Liverpool would be entitled to compensation from FIFA. Probably not from Uruguay either. The responsibility for behaviour will be Suarez' own. I have no doubt there is a behaviour clause in his contract that will mean they are entitled to withhold salary or at least pay minimum wage or something during periods of unavailability for work due to disciplinary action. If there isn't one then there damn well should be. He signed a new contract since the previous biting incident.

Because nobody was seriously hurt. Even murderers get allowed back into the working community eventually. Talk of a "life ban" is absolutely nonsense. But a lengthy ban is clearly necessary and as an absolute minimum his tournament must be over.

Why does it matter if anyone was serious hurt? This is the third time he has done this which is frankly absurd, players shouldn't have to be scared to play against this nutjob incase he decides they're lunch. He quite clearly won't stop.

I can't believe anyone would suggest he should be allowed to keep playing.

Archived