Glasgow City Council Electoral Roll Shenanigans.

Broccoli Dog

Only if they live alone.

Not true. If you are a full time student and you live with one or more non-students you will not be held liable for Council Tax. There will still be a council tax charge to the property, and depending on the circumstances of the non-student(s) they may be eligible for a discount on the Council Tax, but those acknowledged by the Council to be full time students will not be held liable for the charges accrued.

See also: http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=10886&p=0

I am a student living with non-students. Will I get a Council Tax bill?

Providing you are a full-time student, and have completed our Council Tax exemption/ discount claim form and supplied proof of student status, you will be made non liable for Council Tax and the non students that you live with would receive a bill. However if you are the resident owner or sole leaseholder of the property you will still receive a bill even if you are a student.

Why?

Students are excluded from liability for Council Tax where they share liability for a property. This means that only the non-students in a property will receive a bill and will be responsible for making sure it is paid.

Example:

A student and a non-student jointly rent a flat. Upon providing proof of their student status, the student will not be held liable for Council Tax and the non-student will be billed for the 75% remaining.

I know this to be true because, incidentally, these circumstances also happen apply to my current living situation. I have filled in the forms and personally spoken to Council Tax administrators to declare such a situation and received correspondence from my local authority telling me that as the student in that situation, I would not be held liable for Council Tax.

Not true. If you are a full time student and you live with one or more non-students you will not be held liable for Council Tax. There will still be a council tax charge to the property, and depending on the circumstances of the non-student(s) they may be eligible for a discount on the Council Tax, but those acknowledged by the Council to be full time students will not be held liable for the charges accrued.

See also: http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=10886&p=0

I know this to be true because, incidentally, these circumstances also happen apply to my current living situation. I have filled in the forms and personally spoken to Council Tax administrators to declare such a situation and received correspondence from my local authority telling me that as the student in that situation, I would not be held liable for Council Tax.

So you have applies your living circumstances to all full time students. What you are saying is only partially correct. Full time students who live with a partner in full time employment are only entitled to receive the single persons discount for their household. I know this because that was my situation for a number of years. Firstly when my wife trained as a teacher for a year and subsequently when I went to uni for three.

So you have applies your living circumstances to all full time students. What you are saying is only partially correct. Full time students who live with a partner in full time employment are only entitled to receive the single persons discount for their household. I know this because that was my situation for a number of years. Firstly when my wife trained as a teacher for a year and subsequently when I went to uni for three.

You are conflating two different issues.

Issue 1 - the amount of council tax payable in respect of the property

This is the "single person discount". This is a concession made by Councils that means instead of charging the full amount of council tax on the property where only one person is liable for council tax, there will be a discount to that amount (in Glasgow it is 25%).

Issue 2 - who is liable for the council tax in respect of the property

In the scenario you described, the student would not be held liable for any council tax levied on the property. This is stated clearly in the Glasgow City Council document I quoted in the previous post. This means that the Council would levy any and all council tax only upon those who were not full-time students in the property. In practice, this means in your example that your wife was fully liable for whatever discounted rate of council tax was levied on your household when you were at University and vice versa.

Initial thoughts on seeing one on face book was that it was fake. Dear Sir/madam rather than personally addressed, dodgy cheap paper, no logo.

The name is correct, Hugh Munro is the Electoral Officer for Glasgow, the phone number is correct, but as Karen Dunbar says, I smell shite...

A number of government departments use recycled paper in the interests of cost/the environment, etc. It doesn't surprise me.

^^^ State sponger

Only if they live alone.

Where do you get them, they can hardly tie their laces or pour boiling water into a pot noodle without help ffs.

^^^ State sponger

After receiving long-winded legalese correspondence from Ad Lib there's not a council in the land that's going to risk getting a 2nd letter containing even more long-winded legalese gobbledegook enquiring why he's not entitled to a discount.

Imagine the poor Indian telesales gent that phones Ad Lib looking for a sale.

Archived