Salmond Vs. Darling - The Debate

ham89

Think people are vastly over estimating the importance of these debates.

The reality is most people won't watch, and most of those that do will have made up their mind long ago and won't be for changing.

Think people are vastly over estimating how much the Scottish people have actually looked into anything to do with the referendum. A handful of my friends will be watching this.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dip in and out of the independence debate so perhaps I'm missing something but I just find it staggering that Alistair Darling is the face of the No campaign

He isn't.

He was replaced some time ago.

It was on Wings over Scotland.

Think people are vastly over estimating how much the Scottish people have actually looked into anything to do with the referendum. A handful of my friends will be watching this.

I agree with your first point. The average Scottish person has paid virtually no attention to the debate, and that's simply not going to change in the next 5 weeks.

It will be interesting to compare viewing figures of this debate and the match between two of the nations biggest football clubs, the Rangers and Hibs, which is being broadcast live at the same time.

It will be interesting to compare viewing figures of this debate and the match between two of the nations biggest football clubs, the Rangers and Hibs, which is being broadcast live at the same time.

That's a very good point. Swathes of No voters otherwise engaged. These are YOUR people, Lex. Or should that be peepul?

Didn't he also say that a lot of the costs after the immediate period were to do with computer systems costs ? Costs that we would have to pay anyway under the union ? I'm sure he said these costs would be comparable to the costs we would bear in a future UK anyway.

Yes, there are costs associated with running any government department and he included those.

My particular favourite example in this regard is when SNP types use Professor Crawford's opinion on timescale of concluding negotiations in their sales pitches.... (something he isn't an expert in)

in the same breath which they call his legal advice (which he is an expert in) arrogant and colonial.

It's almost admirable in its brass neck.

Do they, aye?

Frost V Nixon will have nothing on this.Darling is going to squirm and answers questions with questions devoid of any real substance

You know the difference between an interview and a debate?

The reality is both sides will claim their man won. Nothing will be said that hasn't been said already, most people won't watch, and it will have next to no effect on next months result.

You know the difference between an interview and a debate?

The reality is both sides will claim their man won. Nothing will be said that hasn't been said already, most people won't watch, and it will have next to no effect on next months result.

American presidential elections have taught us that the politicians have a set routine that they cling to for dear life. They're prepped beyond belief and each accusation is batted away smoothly and followed up by a well-prepared counter-attack.

But every now and then, something different happens. Superior intellect and force of argument wins through and a blow is laid that knocks a competitor off guard. From there, if panic sets in and the mind is scrambled - a politician's career can lie in tatters.

Every now and then (or have I been watching too much of the West Wing?)...

Think people are vastly over estimating the importance of these debates.

The reality is most people won't watch, and most of those that do will have made up their mind long ago and won't be for changing.

IIRC didn't Nick Clegg come out on top in the GE2010 TV debates. Despite both Brown and Cameron doing their best to brown nose him at the lectern, it didn't exactly do much for him or his party further down the line!?

In a quick poll out on the streets this afternoon...

48% Said they wouldn't be watching tonight

40% Said they would be watching tonight

12% Said they didn't know whether they wouldn't be watching or would be watching tonight. ;)

Cant see there being many DK's who will be swayed tonight whatever the outcome.

Most sitting down for an evening's thrilling debate between the biggest mealy-mouthed politician you have ever met, against one of the most boring & uninispiring will have already made their mind up, Yes and No respectively.

Bring on the Smugfest, glad I'm away oot.

That's 3 No voters I've counted that aren't going to watch the debate yet come on these forums to argue their side's case.

Hmmm...

Can we stick Ignorance down as one of the reasons for voting No?

I'm away to the football mate, tough choice I know !! ;)

That's 3 No voters I've counted that aren't going to watch the debate yet come on these forums to argue their side's case.

Hmmm...

Can we stick Ignorance down as one of the reasons for voting No?

Tbh I'm not watching to get informed, just in hope that salmond slaughters him. If you already know which way you're voting this won't change your mind

Archived