Salmond Vs. Darling - The Debate

ham89

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really surprised by that, I expected Darling to lose badly. By nearly all accounts he at least got a draw.

Shows how strong the case for the union is, when even a hopeless debater like Darling doesn't lose to an accomplished one like Salmond when debating it.

Oh please piss off mate. You just don't like the answers, get over it mate.

No need to be an arsehole. Do you even know my political viewpoint? Going by that reaction, probably not. He refused to give a straight answer on a couple of things. Get over yourself.

As I said elsewhere, we should have been championing our own currency long, long ago in this debate.

Im confused.

The Yes clowns have told us consistently that there was a currency Plan B.

Its using the pound like Panama.

Why didn't Salmond just say this?

Its almost like.... Its so toxic a Plan B he can't possibly admit to it.

Oh

Really surprised by that, I expected Darling to lose badly. By nearly all accounts he at least got a draw.

Shows how strong the case for the union is, when even a hopeless debater like Darling doesn't lose to an accomplished one like Salmond when debating it.

What is the case for the Union. Explain.

Still aint heard it

Guardian has Darling winning comfortably.... Sounds like a bad night for Yes. Needed Salmond to win very very big and looks like its backfired.

Doesn't sound like its worth a watch on catch up ?

He was never going to win very, very big. Darling hammered away on currency plan B, Salmond refused to move off of the currency union (as he did six months previously) - probably the best bit for Darling. Salmond did better with the audience and had the better closing statement. Darling was negative throughout, relied on cliche after cliche. Pretty much a microcosm of the debate to date.

The thing on currency comes down to belief, I guess. Darling wants everyone running for the hills and Salmond wants them discounting Westminster intransigence out of hand. There is little room for nuance and subtlety. Salmond survived the original monstering, don't know if he will again.

Was hoping to watch this tonight but looks like despite STV saying the had relaxed Postcode restrictions to allow viwers in England to watch.......2 hours tof trying and NOTHING....site just not connecting to live at all. Pretty poor show that on the one thing they might actually want to show. Either rank amateurs or more likely a very convienient break down to keep people from getting the information they might need.

:lol:

Its a cunspuracy

Tonight is the long awaited Scottish debate between Alex Salmond and Alistair Darling. STV released their latest Ipsos MORI at the start of the debate – topline figures there are YES 40%(+4), NO 54%(nc), don’t knows just 6%. Excluding don’t knows that works out at YES 42%(+2), NO 58%(-2).

MORI tend to be one of those pollsters who show more favourable figures for the NO campaign, so by their standards its a favourable poll for YES. Then again, if MORI are right, then a sixteen point lead for NO is still a a big gap to close with only six weeks to go.

Following the debate the only instant poll I’m aware of is ICM for the Guardian, due to go out about 9.40 (results will hopefully be before ten, but it obviously depends on how quickly people respond!)

UPDATE: ICM’s instant poll crowns Darling the winner – 56% for Darling, 44% for Alex Salmond. The figures are, incidentally, very close to the sort of NO/YES figures ICM report in referendum voting intentions. We’ll know properly when we see ICM’s tables, but I suspect we may find that people who were voting YES anyway thought Salmond won, people who were voting NO anyway thought Darling won.

Lot of pish.

Expected to see a man with passion standing up for what he has believed in and fought for for years. Instead we get a coy, politician-by-numbers imposter who is unready for any of the big questions he KNEW were coming. Aye, you might not have answers to them... The answers for the big questions in an independent Scotland are never going to be clear, but you get your fucking shield out man and you turn them answers into positives.

So very disappointed in Alex Salmond tonight. Darling probably went into this debate thinking he was going to get slaughtered and smelled blood within the first few minutes.

Still leaning towards yes. That debate clearly won't change many minds... It's just harder to ignore these big questions now - they seem more valid than ever.

Im confused.

Oh

It's really not difficult. You never prepare for negotiation for plan A while stating your terms for plan B.

Oh please piss off mate. You just don't like the answers, get over it mate.

Oh FFS.

The only case appears to be the currency union. That was the only thing that appeared to stick.

Im confused.

Oh

Well, he didn't back when the original closing of the ranks took place. Currency Union is a nice big easy idea to try and sell. Sterlingisation - probably a short term solution anyway - becomes a bit harder, and once you have two concepts running, you can be monstered for both of them.

Thought the whole thing was very poor from start to finish. I expected AS to win comfortably and was hoping he would convert some undecided voters to Yes, I don't think he done either.

Seems like yet another great night for our union, even yes campaigners on social media are admitting Salmond has blew it.

As Professor Adam Tomkins has put it on twitter:

' Mark the date: 5 Aug 2014. Salmond's Waterloo. The day independence was lost. No answers. No credibility. No thanks. '

Archived