Salmond Vs. Darling - The Debate

ham89

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder who'll be next after Darling's inevitable defeat.

Salmond might beat Darling "like a drum", but by the 5th of August it might be to late to make any difference, if the polls don't improve for YesScotland, in the weeks and days leading up to it

Salmond might beat Darling "like a drum", but by the 5th of August it might be to late to make any difference, if the polls don't improve for YesScotland, in the weeks and days leading up to it

I'm of the believe that Yes will never be ahead in the polls yet we still have a good chance.

I'm of the believe that Yes will never be ahead in the polls yet we still have a good chance.

As am I. I don't pay the polls too much attention. That said, if Yes were leading in the polls, I'd be all over it like a tramp eating chips.

:)

As am I. I don't pay the polls too much attention. That said, if Yes were leading in the polls, I'd be all over it like a tramp eating chips.

:)

I bet you would be :lol:

Yes need to be at 47% in the polls to have any chance. Not saying they won't get to 47%, but polling companies are sophisticated and the chances of them all getting the outcome wrong are quite unlikely.

More likely to vote. But you know this.

There are more Yes car stickers. More Yes follows on Facebook. The instigators of change are the more likely to vote.

More car stickers.

I think the clown collective have actually hit rock bottom here.

More car stickers.

I think the clown collective have actually hit rock bottom here.

How very unlike you, H_B, to focus on one aspect of what someone has said and ridicule it.

I've never seen you do this before.

Yes need to be at 47% in the polls to have any chance. Not saying they won't get to 47%, but polling companies are sophisticated and the chances of them all getting the outcome wrong are quite unlikely.

To be fair, the last polling data from PB, ICM and Survation had yes at these levels, we await their latest polls to see how that ahs changed.

The problem, as I keep banging on about, is that there seems to be no way to square the circle in terms of what different pollsters are seeing.

The thing that annoys me about these kind of debates is that most people watching them are cheerleaders who have already made their minds up.

They'd certainly be a valuable tool for undecided voters to make up their minds but social media is going to be full of predetermined spin from both sides who would have prepared their "victory statements" before the words "Hello, I'm John Mackay..." are even spoken

Alistair Darling from 2005 -:

"The Nationalists are on a downward slide under Salmond's leadership," Mr Darling told Labour's victory Press conference. :eek:

Asked if he was telling Mr Salmond to consider quitting as SNP leader, Mr Darling said: "It's not for me to decide who is the leader of the Scottish Nationalists.

"But it must occur to their members at some stage that all this bluster about winning 20 first-past-the-post seats - and at the last general election, when he tried to claim it was a victory when their vote went down again - it must occur to them one day that perhaps he's not going to deliver. :whistle

"Fundamentally, what is wrong with the Nationalists is not necessarily their leadership but their policies, their whole raison d'etre. And at some stage I suspect some of them will begin to think about that." :1eye

Archived