Salmond Vs. Darling - The Debate

ham89

Whats the format of the BBC debate? STV appear to want a presidential style head to head. Is the BBC offering the same thing or will it be a Question Time stlye panel. Salmond, Darling, Myrphy, Brown, Carmichael, and Ruth Davidson hosted by the impartial daughter of a former Labour party leader?

It would be funny if it wasn't quite so far from the truth. Maybe they'll throw in a yes supporting washed up, half cut, popstar against the proper politicians in the interests of 'impartiality' like last time.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be funny if it wasn't quite so far from the truth. Maybe they'll throw in a yes supporting washed up, half cut, popstar against the proper politicians in the interests of 'impartiality' like last time.

Noooooooo not Eddie Reader.

I'm starting to think that there might be a plan in place for the 16th July anyway. Maybe a video will go up with Salmond facing an empty podium or something like that. It would spread through social media pretty fast and could embarrass Cameron if it's done expertly.

Or Darling versus an empty podium and a copy of Alex Salmond's diary (page blank) facing him.

Or Darling versus an empty podium and a copy of Alex Salmond's diary (page blank) facing him.

Darling would still probably lose.

I would imagine that the closer to the vote, the better chance a debate would have at resonating with the public.

I would imagine that the closer to the vote, the better chance a debate would have at resonating with the public.

You mean like the August BBC one?

Has a BBC debate been arranged? I was not aware.

Well, BT and Darling have accepted.

Salmond I'm not sure. Might be washing his hair or something.

Well, BT and Darling have accepted.

Salmond I'm not sure. Might be washing his hair or something.

Perhaps you missed Salmond publically accepting on Twitter. You really, really don't want this to go ahead do you? You must be filling your Marks & Spencer Y-fronts at the prospect.

Perhaps you missed Salmond publically accepting on Twitter.

I don't do Twitter.

Good to see he clearly has a spine operation booked in between July and then.

Perhaps you missed Salmond publically accepting on Twitter. You really, really don't want this to go ahead do you? You must be filling your Marks & Spencer Y-fronts at the prospect.

For f**k sakes get a grip :lol:

salmond announcing it on twitter like a school fight , "me and darling behind the shed on friday troops."

I don't do Twitter.

Good to see he clearly has a spine operation booked in between July and then.

Neither do I. Amazing eh?

Better Together” spokesman, 27 September 2013:

“David Cameron does not have a vote in this referendum. Alistair Darling does. He is ready to debate Alex Salmond any time and any place.”

Letter from Danny Alexander MP to Alex Salmond, 30 Jan 2014:

“Alistair Darling, leader of the Better Together campaign, has said he is willing to debate with you, as leader of the pro-independence campaign, anytime, anywhere.”

The Herald, 25 June 2014:

“Better Together, the pro-UK campaign led by Mr Darling, reacted angrily after STV indicated it was willing to change the date at the request of the First Minister. A senior Better Together source said Mr Darling would take part on July 16, as agreed, but not at a later time to suit Mr Salmond.”

For f**k sakes get a grip :lol:

Meh.

If there is a debate and I mean if, (still not convinced Salmond really wanted to debate anyone, think he just liked calling them "feart" for not debating him) it will be Darling and Salmond, Cameron is not coming and never was, Better Together will keep the "London" Tories as far away as they can

If there is a debate and I mean if, (still not convinced Salmond really wanted to debate anyone, think he just liked calling them "feart" for not debating him) it will be Darling and Salmond, Cameron is not coming and never was, Better Together will keep the "London" Tories as far away as they can

Aye. Okay.

post-23243-0-15798700-1403715812.jpg

I always reckond that Salmond never wanted to debate with a back bench mp who is accountable to no one and has free reign to lie through his teeth on every issue.

The PM of the UK you would hope should have no such unaccountabilities.

Not sure why there's any confusion about this. Cameron's got the Civil Service and Cabinet on overtime spouting the "Project Fear" message, while pretending it's got nothing to do with him. Salmond's called him out on this, asking for a debate with the grinder rather than the monkey. There will be very little media or popular interest in a Darling debate, but keeping the message going that Cameron is chicken is worth keeping going, with a date free on the calendar. If the polls swing he might even agree to it. Has Alistair Darling even got a job at the moment?

Archived