Salmond Vs. Darling - The Debate

ham89

First Minister Alex Salmond has agreed to a live TV debate with Better Together leader Alistair Darling.

Both politicians were invited to take part in an STV programme on 16 July,

Mr Salmond said he would continue to push for Prime Minister David Cameron to debate him over independence, but he has offered to take on Alistair Darling after the Commonwealth Games.

Better Together campaign director Blair McDougall said it was a welcome development.

STV wrote to both campaigns proposing a plan for a live two-hour debate.

It would be broadcast from Edinburgh, hosted by STV's political editor Bernard Ponsonby, and attended by 500 members of the public representing both sides of the debate as well as undecided voters.

A spokesman for Mr Salmond said: "We will continue to pursue David Cameron to agree to the 16 July debate with the first minister.

"If he continues to duck from it - the first minister will take on Alistair Darling shortly after the Commonwealth Games."

Mr McDougall said: "People in Scotland deserve a TV debate between the leaders of both campaigns about the big issues in this referendum, like what would happen to our pound, pensions and public services."

The prime minister has previously said the debate should be "between people in Scotland".

Alistair Darling has the personality of a soggy potato.

The master of debating Vs. a man who cant co-ordinate his eyebrows with his hair. This will only go one way and can only be a good thing for the Nats.

Thoughts?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The date is good for the Yes campaign. Salmond will bitchslap Darling and we'll have two months of more calls for Cameron to get more involved.

Of course Better Together won't let Salmond get anywhere near Cameron but everyone will know that all the momentum is with yes.

The complacency and emptiness inherent of the No campaign has become such a problem that a re-launch of the re-launch is coming

The reliance on abstract concepts which bear little to the realities of a devolved Scotland in the UK and the appeal to the middle-class propertied niceties have undermined its claims to such an extent that the No campaign has little room to turn. Such was its confidence.

I expect very large viewing figures and a swing to the Yes vote. This may be the final piece in the jigsaw for many in moving from undecided to Yes.

Salmond will comfortably win this debate, he's a far superior debater and politician than Darling.

Can't see it making much difference to the result though, the issues at hand are too strong for many people to be influenced by a couple of guys debating skills.

How much is Darling get paid for this one?

Better Together is already painting this as Salmond blinking first.

As I see it, Salmond will be able to make huge capital on the fact that he is debating with the monkey, not the organ grinder. Darling can promise nothing and deliver nothing. If Salmond gets him angry enough he will blink himself into a fury and implode.

Is this debate number 2? debaters to be confirmed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27966132

Hopefully not John Swinney or Blair Jenkins - I don't think either have been that convincing in any debate I've seen them in.

Patrick Harvie has been impressive, and I think is also the politician most likely to appeal to 16 and 17 year olds too.

How much is Darling get paid for this one?

Better Together is already painting this as Salmond blinking first.

As I see it, Salmond will be able to make huge capital on the fact that he is debating with the monkey, not the organ grinder. Darling can promise nothing and deliver nothing. If Salmond gets him angry enough he will blink himself into a fury and implode.

He'll certainly not blink more than Darling, I've never witnessed a politician with a more pronounced tell.

Salmond will comfortably win this debate, he's a far superior debater and politician than Darling.

Can't see it making much difference to the result though, the issues at hand are too strong for many people to be influenced by a couple of guys debating skills.

Sadly, I agree.

Archived