£200 Million

Enigma

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you actually read it, the £200 million is only the begining, read the full gist of it below.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/10918530/Independent-Scotlands-200-million-immediate-start-up-costs.html

More fibbing from the seps.

Ah the Telegraph. Not skew whiffed at all. A quick skim through the comments shows they, like the vast majority of the MSM, are BetterTogether's bitches.

Ah the Telegraph. Not skew whiffed at all. A quick skim through the comments shows they, like the vast majority of the MSM, are BetterTogether's bitches.

Still more accurate than business for scotland or wings over scotland though.

WOS and BFS have consistently dismantled unionists lies for months. That's why the unionists don't like them very much.

Oh dear. You're falling into the trap of listening to what Half_Brick says, aren't you?

What's upsetting you more, is it the fact that Newsnet and Wings are usually bang on the money, or that it's part of the wider Yes campaign to not sit and do as we're told?

What happened to a 2 billion start up cost.

I am certain that is what Better Together were quoting.

Why did the BBC not quote them and expose their fail.

Oh aye. Now I remember, because.....

Sorry. My mistake. It was not 2 billion. It was 2.5 billion.

That ridiculous figure was not better togethers. IT WAS THE UK TREASURIES.

Seems they made a mistake with their zero's.

Still waiting to see the fail exposed on the beeb.

When did they start financing our government?

The yes campaign would be screaming and spitting venom from the rooftops if that £level of support had been greedily received from some ' posh Tory fat cat' down south on behalf of BT!

No?

The yes campaign would be screaming and spitting venom from the rooftops if that £level of support had been greedily received from some ' posh Tory fat cat' down south on behalf of BT!

No?

I'd rather have taken the abuse JK received than the abuse the Weir's received.

Doesn't really have anything to do with the drivel you posted previously.

No?

Do you not even have the slightest inkling of how your approach here is so utterly dripping in fail?

Apologies if posted earlier

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/alex-salmonds-letter-david-cameron-3754706

Dear David,

You will be aware that last month your government gave a highly misleading briefing on the structure and cost of the Scottish Government in an independent Scotland.

In a presentation which received extensive coverage, HM Treasury issued the following statement:

The Institute for Government (IfG) and the London School of Economics (LSE) have published independent analysis which puts the average cost of setting up a new policy department at £15 million. Applying this to the 180 departments the Scottish government states it would need could see Scottish taxpayers fork out £2.7bn.

That £2.7bnn figure was then repeated in the Treasurys formal paper published on May 28th.

However, one of the authors of the report on which this claim was based, Professor Patrick Dunleavy, said this £2.7 billion figure was bizarrely inaccurate and said the UK Government had misrepresented his work.

On Sunday Professor Dunleavy issued a detailed academic report on this issue which said:

A UK Treasury briefing in late May 2014 did not help, containing as it did some spectacularly wrong information, which greatly muddied the waters.

I would therefore ask that you launch an immediate investigation into why your government issued spectacularly wrong information. The investigation should establish which minister signed off this grossly misleading claim.

Yesterday the Secretary of State for Scotland on the BBCs Good Morning Scotland programme appeared to accept a figure of up to £200 million for the set-up costs of an independent Scottish government.

He said: In as much as it is possible to put a figure on these things, I have no basis on which to challenge it at the moment.

Why did one part of the UK Government issue a figure of £2.7 billion when the Scottish Secretary himself believes the figure is around one-thirteenth of that claim?

The fact that such a misleading claim was made in a special briefing to journalists in London and Edinburgh and published in a Treasury document means it is now very difficult for people in Scotland to trust any information on the independence referendum issued by the UK Government.

Professor Dunleavys report this weekend has vindicated the Scottish Governments position and demolished that of the UK Government.

As such, I am sure that you will want to clear this matter up quickly by holding an inquiry into this extremely damaging episode for the UK Governments credibility.

Your governments intervention on this issue demonstrates once again the extent to which your administration is heavily involved in the independence debate.

This week you have used public money to send out UK Government material to every household in Scotland as part of the campaign for a No vote.

In addition we now know your administration has also spent around £140,000 on political polling in relation to the independence referendum.

In the light of these developments and the deep involvement of the UK Government it is simply not credible for you to refuse to debate the issues. I therefore urge you once again to take up the invitation to debate with me on July 16.

Yours, etc

Alex Salmond

Archived