Summer Football Back On The Agenda

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-president-campbell-ogilvie-believes-3741562?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Hooray, everyone's favourite topic is back on the agenda.

Ogilvie said: “I seriously worry about our clubs starting in Europe in July and going up against a team from Sweden, who’ve had a head start – 18 games under their belt.

“From that side we’ve got to look at summer football. A Supporters Direct survey found 40 per cent were interested in this, so there’s your customers.

“I seriously think it’s something we must take to the next level. It’s one of the areas we should be putting top of our agenda.

“We’re working closer with the SPFL. We now have a solid base to build on. We take three or four key topics and focus on them.

“We have the Professional Game Board and can focus on some of these issues instead of league reconstruction. Summer football is definitely one of the key topics.

“The playing season only used to come up in January and when it became the summer people didn’t want to know about it.

“But now, for practical reasons with players, the supporters seem to be coming round to it.”

A few logical curiosities here.

1. The chances of drawing a Swedish side in the first round is pretty low.

2. 40% of people interested implies 60% of people are not

3. Implying a summer season wouldn't require reconstruction unless you want the league to start in February and finish in December

4. No one cares about summer football in the summer because we are too busy watching major tournaments every other year. So unless we play through these competitions we would still be hitting the first UEFA rounds cold

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-president-campbell-ogilvie-believes-3741562?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Hooray, everyone's favourite topic is back on the agenda.

A few logical curiosities here.

1. The chances of drawing a Swedish side in the first round is pretty low.

2. 40% of people interested implies 60% of people are not

3. Implying a summer season wouldn't require reconstruction unless you want the league to start in February and finish in December

4. No one cares about summer football in the summer because we are too busy watching major tournaments every other year. So unless we play through these competitions we would still be hitting the first UEFA rounds cold

5. Only one side with a summer season is ranked above Scotland on the UEFA coefficient list, and that's Belarus who are one spot ahead.

6. Celtic and St Johnstone both beat sides who play summer football (Elfsborg & Rosenborg) in last season's European competitions. Hibs lost to Malmo, but that was more to do with Hibs being Hibs than anything else.

Interestingly, when SPFL's new rulebook was drawn-up last summer, they added a rule saying the season cannot start before 31st July.

At the end of the day this has been discussed before. Frequently. There are loads of issues. Season running January-December, or having to severely curtail the number of games to play March-November. Clashing with the World Cups and Euros, or asking clubs to play without first-team regulars. Clashing with major holiday periods and alternative leisure pursuits. Doing pre-season in January. Moving out-of-kilter with English and continental transfer windows. Managing reseeding/relaying grass pitches in December/January.

Losing festive derbies and July glamour friendlies. Playing concluding qualifiers, league climaxes, play-offs and the Scottish Cup Final at the year's end and in poor weather. Asking clubs reaching CL/EL knockouts to play 2 seasons running. Asking players moving from abroad to play 18 months running. Managing the transition season - 6 months? 18 months? Finding dates for late-season postponements when the weather is worsening and FIFA/UEFA dates abound. Asking non-league clubs in the pyramid to cope with it.

If it's the future, why are various countries moving away from it. Why do Denmark or Russia not play 'summer football'. Why aren't 'summer' leagues more successful - their clubs rarely advance in CL/EL. Why hasn't it worked in Eire. And so on.

I think the UEFA competitions thing is just a canard, tbh. It's fiction.

In the last 2 'football cycles'... i.e. the last 8 seasons... Scottish clubs have reached 1 UEFA Cup Final. Our clubs have reached the CL Last 16 thrice. Our clubs have reached groupstages on 12 occasions (mainly Celtic and Rangers but also Aberdeen). That absolutely wipes the floor with the performance of clubs from 'summer' leagues.

Over the same time the combined strength of every current summer league in Europe could only muster 20 groupstage appearances in total. Not a single CL knockout appearance. Infact only a handful of EL knockout qualifications, and I don't think any progressed.

Scottish clubs reached the CL groupstage 8 times. All the 'summer' leagues combined reached the CL groupstage 4 times.

In "head-to-head" meetings Scottish clubs have actually beaten 'summer' league rivals 9 times (Helsinki, Helsingborg, Elfsborg, Karagandy, Dinaburg, Breidalbik, Aaeslunds, Rosenborg, Molde) and lost just 7 times (Hacken, Derry, Elfsborg, Malmo x2, Kaunas, Minsk). However we should note that of those 7 defeats there were 2 defeats of SFL1 clubs and 1 defeat in the Intertoto Cup.

Even internationally, only Sweden did better than us, i.e. qualified for major finals.

After a nightmare couple of years financially - there should be f**k-all in the way of reconstruction talk or further tinkering. Summer Football is a solution to a problem that hasn't been defined. From a European point of view, 'Well's best season was arguably when we played two summer teams (Breidablik and Aalesunds) and one that started earlier than us (Odense) - so I'm not convinced at all.

Based on last season, we finally seem to have hit on a decent league format - so the governing bodies should be doing everything to get behind that instead of creating uncertainty and especially should be focussed on getting a sponsor...

Going to the football is entertainment for the shitey winter days when there's f**k all else to do but sit-in the house.

I do think there should be a few amateur and youth leagues that play through the summer. Would be good for public health.

No, for purely selfish reasons. There is a lot more to do in the summer, whereas in January and February my life is dull and having football is pretty much the only thing that stops them from being pointless and boring months.

Apart from anything else what happens when Scottish teams are playing in Europe and are in between seasons but still having to play competitive football?

I enjoy going to games far more in warm weather than cold and attend more games at the start and end of the season. Personally I'd like to see our season start in July but have a big winter break over December and January, having the season end as late as is possible. That's just my personal preference though. Nothing worse than sitting in Livingston or somewhere in the dark with your feet like ice blocks and your nose numb because its -2 or what.

I enjoy going to games far more in warm weather than cold and attend more games at the start and end of the season. Personally I'd like to see our season start in July but have a big winter break over December and January, having the season end as late as is possible. That's just my personal preference though. Nothing worse than sitting in Livingston or somewhere in the dark with your feet like ice blocks and your nose numb because its -2 or what.

Wear thicker socks. :P

Div should start a new forum, Dead Horse Flogging, and we can put this, reconstruction and bringing back standing in it.

"Sectional League Cup" would have to be in there :)

f**k summer football

f**k what we currently have also

Play every Saturday 52 weeks a year and when Falkirk are top of the premiership, call that the end of the season.

Stick with Gaz FFC for more top ideas like this 1.

Scrap the league cup. It's shite and meaningless.

It's lost a bit of its appeal I grant you. Although Killie and St Mirren fans may argue with you.

Anyway, in the interests of making it more appealing I'd like to see the winner play the winner of the English version.

Interestingly, when SPFL's new rulebook was drawn-up last summer, they added a rule saying the season cannot start before 31st July.

At the end of the day this has been discussed before. Frequently. There are loads of issues. Season running January-December, or having to severely curtail the number of games to play March-November. Clashing with the World Cups and Euros, or asking clubs to play without first-team regulars. Clashing with major holiday periods and alternative leisure pursuits. Doing pre-season in January. Moving out-of-kilter with English and continental transfer windows. Managing reseeding/relaying grass pitches in December/January.

Losing festive derbies and July glamour friendlies. Playing concluding qualifiers, league climaxes, play-offs and the Scottish Cup Final at the year's end and in poor weather. Asking clubs reaching CL/EL knockouts to play 2 seasons running. Asking players moving from abroad to play 18 months running. Managing the transition season - 6 months? 18 months? Finding dates for late-season postponements when the weather is worsening and FIFA/UEFA dates abound. Asking non-league clubs in the pyramid to cope with it.

But apart from that...

Archived