A letter in last night's English newspaper

Scottishyeltz

I left the UK almost 2 years ago. My life history and time in the UK still exists, as do my friends and family who live all across the UK. A Yes vote won't change any of that. This is a vote about the future, not the past.

It is indeed about the future, the future of the Union not just a separatist Scotland.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not embarrassed one bit of our place in the Union and as a citizen of our proud nationhood.

*sigh*

What's to be proud of?

The biggest gap between rich and poor in Europe?

Foodbanks?

Austerity?

Child poverty?

Wills and Kate getting a new helicopter and getting £4m to do up their house?

Lots to aspire to there.

*sigh*

What's to be proud of?

The biggest gap between rich and poor in Europe?

Foodbanks?

Austerity?

Child poverty?

Wills and Kate getting a new helicopter and getting £4m to do up their house?

Lots to aspire to there.

Don't disagree with any of that 'little lot', but think we're far better equipped to tackle those issues as a Union.

Don't disagree with any of that 'little lot', but think we're far better equipped to tackle those issues as a Union.

Oh really? Tell me please, which Westminster party has plans to tackle austerity, foodbanks and child poverty?

I'm on tenterhooks.

Those issues arose under this so-wonderful union and now we're supposed to believe that the union will assist in eliminating them?

I wouldn't pretend that we have a place of huge influence at the 'top table' anymore, but it will be further diminished if the Union is broken.

Why do you want influence at a top table? Do you believe the UK is taken seriously as a world force any more?

I think you know what I was referring to, if not my apologies for any misunderstanding.

Ah there you are.

So. Can you tell me which Westminster party have an active interest in tackling child poverty, austerity, food banks and the growing gulf between rich and poor?

The Tories, perhaps with their permanent austerity plan?

Labour maybe, who plan to go further than the Tories with austerity?

Or how about.. oh that's it really.

Why do you want influence at a top table? Do you believe the UK is taken seriously as a world force any more?

G7, G8, G20, UK still one of the top 6 economies globally and a still a major European power house amidst 6 years of financial turmoil across the continent.

I'd rather fight to stay in this position.

G7, G8, G20, UK still one of the top 6 economies globally and a still a major European power house amidst 6 years of financial turmoil across the continent.

I'd rather fight to stay in this position.

What do you want to be a European power house for?

And can you please answer my other question? I've asked twice now.

In Glasgow alone we have the shortest life expectancy in Europe, and the poorest health. We have the 2nd lowest pay of the advanced economies, and we come bottom of the league table for child happiness. Our industries are gone, house prices outstrip affordability. We are one of the richest countries in the Europe, and yet we have have people sleeping in the streets and people deciding whether to eat or heat their home. The majority of our population have to subsidise their earnings with tax credits because they aren't paid enough to live.

This is all under the current system of the UK, and no party is offering to tackle these issues.

You don't think it's maybe time to try something different?

[Edit]

And I'm not saying that Independence is some magic answer to all of these issues. But can you honestly see either the Union electing a party to tackle such fundamental problems, when the government is decided on the whims of middle England? This is an opportunity that you will never be given again, and it's an opportunity that has never been given for centuries before.

What do you want to be a European power house for?

And can you please answer my other question? I've asked twice now.

Because I believe as a Union we are best placed to deliver growth and prosperity for the Union and our contribution to the EU. I don't always get the government I vote for, but I'm still in the mix.

In Glasgow alone we have the shortest life expectancy in Europe, and the poorest health. We have the 2nd lowest pay of the advanced economies, and we come bottom of the league table for child happiness. Our industries are gone, house prices outstrip affordability. We are one of the richest countries in the Europe, and yet we have have people sleeping in the streets and people deciding whether to eat or heat their home. The majority of our population have to subsidise their earnings with tax credits because they aren't paid enough to live.

This is all under the current system of the UK, and no party is offering to tackle these issues.

You don't think it's maybe time to try something different?

Because I believe as a Union we are best placed to deliver growth and prosperity for the Union and our contribution to the EU. I don't always get the government I vote for, but I'm still in the mix.

Archived