A letter in last night's English newspaper

Scottishyeltz

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to believe we have arrived at this point, where the future of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will be decided by less than 10 per cent of our citizens! Better together, vote NO!

Should all EU citizens have a vote on whether the UK should stay in the EU or not ?

Hard to believe we have arrived at this point, where the future of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will be decided by less than 10 per cent of our citizens! Better together, vote NO!

Although on the other hand the future of Scotland is being decided by the citizens of Scotland. Basically the opposite of a general election.

Finally we have arrived at the point where the future of Scotland will be decided by the people of Scotland and not the electorate of another country.

Independence. Vote YES

Expat Scots voting on whether Scotland becomes independent is like the former owners of my house coming back now and again to tell me what colour wallpaper I must buy.

As for the rest of the UK having a vote in the referendum, that's like the UK's in/out referendum being opened up to France, Germany and all the other members of the EU.

It's a stupid argument, from stupid people.

Expat Scots voting on whether Scotland becomes independent is like the former owners of my house coming back now and again to tell me what colour wallpaper I must buy.

I assume in your analogy that the former owners of your house no longer contribute to the economy of the house and that the future of them and their children is largely unaffected by your choice of wallpaper colour. Strange analogy.

Expats, including those living abroad rather than just elsewhere in the nation of their birth, have voting rights in UK elections. Its not simply stupid to suggest that stakeholders might believe they should have a vote.

Some people's plans to return to Scotland will be impacted by the vote. They are not ex Scots.

I assume in your analogy that the former owners of your house no longer contribute to the economy of the house and that the future of them and their children is largely unaffected by your choice of wallpaper colour. Strange analogy. Expats, including those living abroad rather than just elsewhere in the nation of their birth, have voting rights in UK elections. Its not simply stupid to suggest that stakeholders might believe they should have a vote. Some people's plans to return to Scotland will be impacted by the vote. They are not ex Scots.

They left the UK. in the event of a Yes vote they can come back to an Independent Scotland or they can return to the UK. Their choice.

I assume in your analogy that the former owners of your house no longer contribute to the economy of the house and that the future of them and their children is largely unaffected by your choice of wallpaper colour. Strange analogy. Expats, including those living abroad rather than just elsewhere in the nation of their birth, have voting rights in UK elections. Its not simply stupid to suggest that stakeholders might believe they should have a vote. Some people's plans to return to Scotland will be impacted by the vote. They are not ex Scots.

Not only do they not contribute, but they keep hinting that one day they would like to come back and live with me!

Not only do they not contribute, but they keep hinting that one day they would like to come back and live with me!

:-) You probably want to consider changing the locks.

The only comfort I can take from this thread is that it kills P&B's favourite method of discourse - the argument from analogy.

However this became a popular means of supposed logic is beyond me but thankfully the wallpaper bloke has shown how absurd a means of argumentation it is.

I assume in your analogy that the former owners of your house no longer contribute to the economy of the house and that the future of them and their children is largely unaffected by your choice of wallpaper colour. Strange analogy.Expats, including those living abroad rather than just elsewhere in the nation of their birth, have voting rights in UK elections. Its not simply stupid to suggest that stakeholders might believe they should have a vote.Some people's plans to return to Scotland will be impacted by the vote. They are not ex Scots.

How can you be a stakeholder if you don't live in place where you're supposed to have a stake in? The citizens of Scotland have a vote, it's not an ethnic thing.

How can you be a stakeholder if you don't live in place where you're supposed to have a stake in? The citizens of Scotland have a vote, it's not an ethnic thing.

I live in Britain. I have a stake in Britain. I think it is perfectly reasonable that I have an voting opinion on this constitutional change. The only chunts who will gainsay me are 1. the walloper wallpaper bloke and 2. the Nats who know they would lose. Every other sane person kens that Scottish independence has ramifications for the rest of The UK.

Oh and anyone talking about 'the right to self-determination' or somesuch is a fanny.

I live in Britain. I have a stake in Britain. I think it is perfectly reasonable that I have an voting opinion on this constitutional change. The only chunts who will gainsay me are 1. the walloper wallpaper bloke and 2. the Nats who know they would lose. Every other sane person kens that Scottish independence has ramifications for the rest of The UK.

Oh and anyone talking about 'the right to self-determination' or somesuch is a fanny.

:lol:

Why should 60M people have a say over the destiny of 5.3m folk? Surely it's up to the people who live here who should decide how they live?

Why should 60M people have a say over the destiny of 5.3m folk? Surely it's up to the people who live here who should decide how they live?

All you are doing is regurgitating the sad, tawdry line of the SNP. Britain has been thoroughly conjoined since James the 6th. This makes it everyone's business.

Silly argument.

The obvious analogy would be the UK EU in/out referendum. Would you have that vote open to persons living in the rest of the EU?

After all they all have a stake in the unity of the EU.

The only comfort I can take from this thread is that it kills P&B's favourite method of discourse - the argument from analogy.

The obvious analogy would be.........

And still we get the argument from analogy. Right, I'm on my way to asses you wallpaper.

All you are doing is regurgitating the sad, tawdry line of the SNP. Britain has been thoroughly conjoined since James the 6th. This makes it everyone's business.

Er...nope...the union of the crowns has nothing to do with the union. Have another go.

Archived