A letter in last night's English newspaper

Scottishyeltz

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can you be a stakeholder if you don't live in place where you're supposed to have a stake in? The citizens of Scotland have a vote, it's not an ethnic thing.

Baxter, I'd say a Scot working outside Scotland temporarily earning to support a family in Scotland would be one example of a stakeholder. You can say its not sufficient in your opinion to give them the right to a vote, but the point is, its not stupid for them to feel they should have as much say as some others who do.

I don't include myself in that BTW, I wont have a vote and that's fair enough. Although my own plans to return would be very much affected by the outcome.

Changing subject a bit - I suspect that Salmon and co thought that Scots living elsewhere in UK would be more likely to vote no, hence the different eligibility rules to the general election. A bit like changing the age limit. I'm not so sure.

Changing subject a bit - I suspect that Salmon and co thought that Scots living elsewhere in UK would be more likely to vote no, hence the different eligibility rules to the general election. A bit like changing the age limit. I'm not so sure.

The Scottish Parliament does not have any political jurisdiction to hold a referendum outside of Scotland, nor should they because it would be a logistical nightmare, and nor should they because who decides who gets to vote and who doesn't. Giving the franchise to 16 year olds is perfectly sensible and right, as they will be the most affected by the result.

Baxter, I'd say a Scot working outside Scotland temporarily earning to support a family in Scotland would be one example of a stakeholder. .

Uh-huh and what would the limit of time away that would be allowed? Would it be enough to say that you're thinking of coming back or would you have to promise? What if you change your mind five years later and never come back?

Finally, people in Dundee West don't get to vote in Dundee East, no matter which street they used to live in and it's no different in the referendum. The people of Scotland will vote, there's no ethnic qualification.

The Scottish Parliament does not have any political jurisdiction to hold a referendum outside of Scotland, nor should they because it would be a logistical nightmare, and nor should they because who decides who gets to vote and who doesn't. Giving the franchise to 16 year olds is perfectly sensible and right, as they will be the most affected by the result.

Its the same logistical nightmare that's managed for each general election. A challenge that will be insignificant compared to many of the projects post independence. I don't think its an excuse worthy of Scotland's capability.

Its the same logistical nightmare that's managed for each general election. A challenge that will be insignificant compared to many of the projects post independence. I don't think its an excuse worthy of Scotland's capability.

I believe that the referendum eligibility is the preferred eligibility for future post independence elections.

Uh-huh and what would the limit of time away that would be allowed? Would it be enough to say that you're thinking of coming back or would you have to promise? What if you change your mind five years later and never come back?

Finally, people in Dundee West don't get to vote in Dundee East, no matter which street they used to live in and it's no different in the referendum. The people of Scotland will vote, there's no ethnic qualification.

In the general election its 15 years I believe. I'd say that's a bit long. Nobody voting will be asked to commit to where they will live in 5 years.

Dundee east or West isn't relevant. If that same Dundee east citizen left the UK, they'd still have a vote.

And no, ethnicity has nothing to do with it.

I believe that the referendum eligibility is the preferred eligibility for future post independence elections.

Fair enough. Meaning future elections post a yes vote would be residents only?

Silly man thinks britain was created with the act of union bollocks. The Britons were here way before the german/english come along and fucked everything up. Even strathclyde spoke welsh. did you know that eh? no you didnt because you an ignorant unionist.

Fair enough. Meaning future elections post a yes vote would be residents only?

Its only my personal belief and not to my knowledge a stated position but as this is the only vote which the SG has been allowed to lay down the criteria for then I would suggest that the eligibility would be as follows.

* UK citizens resident in Scotland.

* Qualifying Commonwealth citizens resident in Scotland.

* Citizens of EU countries resident in Scotland.

* Service and Diplomatic personnel serving outwith Scotland who are registered to vote in Scotland.

And of course this obviously includes Scottish citizens resident in Scotland and the reduction of the voting age to 16.

Again just how I see things panning out.

Silly man thinks britain was created with the act of union bollocks. The Britons were here way before the german/english come along and fucked everything up. Even strathclyde spoke welsh. did you know that eh? no you didnt because you an ignorant unionist.

Not sure who that's directed at, but would you like to go further? When or what did the English and German people 'f**k up' in Scotland?? and where do the Welsh speaking people reside in the West of Scotland today?

Not sure who that's directed at, but would you like to go further? When or what did the English and German people 'f**k up' in Scotland?? and where do the Welsh speaking people reside in the West of Scotland today?

They're still here, they're us.

They're still here, they're us.

They're not me mate, but for what it's worth, I'll accept either way what's coming in September, (not sure that will be reciprocated on P&B) I dread a Yes vote though!

Cheers

Rob

Don't disagree with any of that 'little lot', but think we're far better equipped to tackle those issues as a Union.

Yeah, it's not like the union is over a trillion in debt (and rising) from (pretending to) trying to tackle it already or anything.

Yeah, it's not like the union is over a trillion in debt (and rising) from (pretending to) trying to tackle it already or anything.

Yep and it will all disappear once we have independence! We'll have loads of money to throw at world poverty!?

They're not me mate, but for what it's worth, I'll accept either way what's coming in September, (not sure that will be reciprocated on P&B) I dread a Yes vote though!

Why do you dread it? You can't even articulate a reason other than some vague notion about being at a top table.

In the general election its 15 years I believe. I'd say that's a bit long. Nobody voting will be asked to commit to where they will live in 5 years.Dundee east or West isn't relevant. If that same Dundee east citizen left the UK, they'd still have a vote.And no, ethnicity has nothing to do with it.

Correct, so why limit the vote to Scots living abroad?

Yep and it will all disappear once we have independence! We'll have loads of money to throw at world poverty!?

It won't, but the system that ran up the debt won't be there.

Not changing means more of the same.

What was it Einstein said about insanity?

Because I believe as a Union we are best placed to deliver growth and prosperity for the Union and our contribution to the EU. I don't always get the government I vote for, but I'm still in the mix.

Growth and prosperity for who? Bankers? Rich landowners?

Certainly not your average Joe anyway.

And you're right, you don't always get the Government you vote for. In fact, since World War 2, only 3 times has a Government been elected that Scotland has voted for.

And, for the 3rd time of asking, can you tell me which Westminster party is going to tackle the issues that you admitted were problems?

Growth and prosperity for who? Bankers? Rich landowners?

Certainly not your average Joe anyway.

And you're right, you don't always get the Government you vote for. In fact, since World War 2, only 3 times has a Government been elected that Scotland has voted for.

And, for the 3rd time of asking, can you tell me which Westminster party is going to tackle the issues that you admitted were problems?

Yep, It's a tough choice to follow any of the current lot, but removing 60 Scottish MP's from Westminster wont improve that for the rest of the Union. I guess that's if you care about the rest of the Union, and if not fair enough! We'll just have to see what September brings.

Archived