A letter in last night's English newspaper

Scottishyeltz

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why people in rUK think they are entitled to a vote in the referendum. It would be the equivalent to giving everyone in Romania, Poland, Cyprus, Spain, etc. a vote in a in-out EU referendum in the UK.

Also annoys me when Scots who live elsewhere seethe at not being allowed to vote.

"It's my country, why am I not allowed a say!!???"

I always remember a famous Del Boy to Rodney line.

YOU DON'T LIVE HERE NO MORE!

Also annoys me when Scots who live elsewhere seethe at not being allowed to vote.

"It's my country, why am I not allowed a say!!???"

I always remember a famous Del Boy to Rodney line.

They always go on to point out that English people living in Scotland are allowed to vote in the referendum.

THAT'S BECAUSE THEY LIVE IN SCOTLAND.

If the English, or any other country, want a vote then vote for a party that will give them a referendum.

If the Welsh were holding a referendum on independence I wouldn't want a vote as it's up to them.

What if England voted for Scotland to leave and Scotland voted to stay with the Union? Would we be forced against the will of the Scottish people to leave?

Dear Fannybaws,

The letter from S Harrison published last week, which asked why the rest of the UK is not entitled to a vote in the Scottish independence referendum, showed no understanding of the United Kingdom's current constitutional setup.

The Scottish Government is devolved. As such, it's powers and it's jurisdiction are strictly llimited. The Scots Government could not bring forward a UK-wide referendum even if it wanted to, as it does not have legal access to the electoral roll for any part of the UK other than Scotland. This is why Scots currently living in other parts of the UK are also excluded from the vote.

If you would like to see a UK-wide referendum on Scottish independence, or on England itself becoming independent, you will have to petition the UK Government. They are the only people with the power to deliver one. Good luck.

M FANDAN

I don't understand why people in rUK think they are entitled to a vote in the referendum. It would be the equivalent to giving everyone in Romania, Poland, Cyprus, Spain, etc. a vote in a in-out EU referendum in the UK.

Actually they could have a dual vote but only after a Yes referendum vote - it would be to vote on the terms of rUK's and iScotland's separation.

This referendum really has brought out the fucking idiots anyway that's for sure. I used to think some people had half a brain, turns out I know a lot of absolutely clueless cuntos. YES voters and NO voters. Absolute spams.

Hard to believe we have arrived at this point, where the future of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will be decided by less than 10 per cent of our citizens! Better together, vote NO!

Archived