England v Costa Rica

banana

Why do I get the feeling that England are still going to spawn their way into the next round?

I'd drop Gerrard, he's been largely dead weight in two games.

Hart

Jones Jagielka Cahill Baines

Sterling Wilshere Henderson Ox-Cham

Lallana

Rooney

1-1 :lol:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do I get the feeling that England are still going to spawn their way into the next round?

Hart

Lallana

Rooney

That's a bit unfair. He got a brilliant assist for Suarez's winner.

What I want really depends on tomorrow's result. Desire number one is for Uruguay to not qualify, desire number two is for England to qualify as I think it would be amusing to retweet all the ABE crowd who are going mental on twitter right now.

Desire number one is far more important though.

Wouldn't be surprised to see England go 4-4-fucking-2 and scrape through to the next round in true Mike Bassett fashion. I hoping for a combination of a convincing England win, and a last minute equaliser (hopefully laced with controversy) for Uruguay against Italy.

I've no problem whatsoever with this lot Mike Bassetting their way through. It means they'll change nothing for next time. Holy f**k, Rooney might even be on the 2018 plane.

But my ideal scenario is an 8-0 Italy win tomorrow, and then Costa Rica going 3-0 up by half time in the last round.

I think England should win against Costa Rica.

But think of the pressure they are under.

If they lose it will be the worst wc result in Englands history. It will be their worst ever wc showing.

Think of the press hounding.

I feel sorry for poor auld "woy"

I think England should win against Costa Rica.

But think of the pressure they are under.

If they lose it will be the worst wc result in Englands history. It will be their worst ever wc showing.

Think of the press hounding.

I feel sorry for poor auld "woy"

Think 0-1 to USA last time WC was held in Brazil will continue to rate as the worst result.

I think England will qualify. Italy will beat Costa Rica. The rest will fall into place.

They will get put out in last 16 though by Columbia :)

This.

I have a sneaky feeling England will get through, the seethe merchants from last night will have renewed optimism, followed by the brave lions being papped out the QFs on penalties.

I have dreamed it, and so it shall pass.

Glorious.

Thread is jumping the gun a bit.

We need to see how Costa Rica play against Italy before we can really know much more about the permutations of this group.

If Costa Rica show the Uruguay result wasn't a fluke then things will get interesting because they will know they can qualify going into the last match, even if they lose against Italy.

If Italy show Costa Rica up, then surely that will buoy England into thinking they can get the result they need. But right now I think England's confidence is rock bottom.

Hart

Lallana

Rooney

That's a bit harsh on Gerrard who only has Henderson with him in midfield. England have had, in effect, an old-fashioned 4-2-4 formation. Welbeck and Sterling are not the best of tacklers. Sturridge has worked hard but been ineffective. IMHO Lallana is not international class.

This would my line-up

Hart

Jones

Cahill

Jagielka

Shaw

Henderson

Gerrard

Wilshire

Barkley

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Rooney

Wouldn't be surprised to see England go 4-4-fucking-2 and scrape through to the next round in true Mike Bassett fashion. I hoping for a combination of a convincing England win, and a last minute equaliser (hopefully laced with controversy) for Uruguay against Italy.

This is what they probably should have done last night IMO.

If we've learned anything from the last 2 games it's that they don't have the players to play a 4-2-3-1 effectively.

They'll beat Costa Rica marginally and drop out the World Cup, leaving us with another 2 years of them banging on about how they'll do well at Euro 2016 because no one's expecting much from them.

Archived