Clyde fc name change move to EK topic

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the EK thing is still a long way away, if at all, should we not be looking to negotiate a further short-medium term lease at Broadwood to follow on when the current short term lease expires.

There may also be an opportunity for increased match day revenue through the pie stalls, serveries or whatever they are called as NLL no longer operate these on matchdays as it wasn't worth their while.

It's someone who has nothing to do with "the cooncil" who now runs this for their own profit.

Surely the guys who persuaded the majority of the support to vote for a name change and the do or die EK move, could persuade NLL to give us a revised lease which included the pie stall, servery operation.

As a lot of fans don't use them currently as a mark of protest against the cooncil being bad to us, the potential revenue from this source would increase vastly if the profits were heading for the clubs pocket and the fans actually used them.

So what if the Colts are the main tenant, is that such an issue? They negotiated a deal which suited them, surely we could do the same.

With things looking up with the new manager and what I would describe as an extremely successful season last term, we should be looking forward and at least gaining medium term security while the EK thing unfolds in the background.

Somewhere earlier in the thread it was mentioned about fans not coming back because of something that hasn't happened yet.

The name and history of this great club means so much to some people that the fact that the board were even contemplating discussing changing the name was too much to take, never mind "pushing" for fans to vote for it.

By the time the yes/no vote came about these fans had already gone, which made the vote a formality.

I personally am an inbetweener, I don't agree with the name change but will still support my club "Clyde FC" until the name change happens, if it ever does.

But, if it does come about, it will be over for me.

I fully understand the feelings of the guys who have already chucked it, as for them, even the discussion of a name change was a step too far, which is very sad as some of these folks have had Clyde in their hearts', and have given their hearts' to Clyde for decades.

I think that having all of our eggs in the one EK basket will come back to bite us on the @rse, and the whole thing has already done enough damage, some of which can never be repaired, but sadly, "we are where we are".

Do the majority of Clydes support stay in Cumbernauld? Why move them 25 miles away? Reading through this and it seems like a pretty big change for any fan of any football club so why has this come about?

Excuse my naiveity.

Do the majority of Clydes support stay in Cumbernauld? Why move them 25 miles away? Reading through this and it seems like a pretty big change for any fan of any football club so why has this come about?

Excuse my naiveity.

A local junior team were given a lottery grant and have taken over the reins at Broadwood. They council who own the stadium bumped the price up for us to play there, AFAIK it costs £2,000 to rent the stadium per match and only for a few hours at that. We don't have an office in the main building anymore either.

EK appears to be the best/only option for a new place to go. They also were prepared to build the stadium and give us use of the facilities for very little cost except they wanted to change the name of Clyde. The price is still being negotiated for the land and that appears to be the hold up. A CIC member can expand/correct me on that.

The Clyde support is scattered all over the place in and the outskirts of Glasgow. Personally, I live in Cumbernauld and my view is that quite a lot of the fans that go to the home games are indeed from Cumbernauld and surrounding but of course we still have many from Glasgow South and aforementioned outskirt towns.

If the EK thing is still a long way away, if at all, should we not be looking to negotiate a further short-medium term lease at Broadwood to follow on when the current short term lease expires.There may also be an opportunity for increased match day revenue through the pie stalls, serveries or whatever they are called as NLL no longer operate these on matchdays as it wasn't worth their while.It's someone who has nothing to do with "the cooncil" who now runs this for their own profit.Surely the guys who persuaded the majority of the support to vote for a name change and the do or die EK move, could persuade NLL to give us a revised lease which included the pie stall, servery operation.As a lot of fans don't use them currently as a mark of protest against the cooncil being bad to us, the potential revenue from this source would increase vastly if the profits were heading for the clubs pocket and the fans actually used them.So what if the Colts are the main tenant, is that such an issue? They negotiated a deal which suited them, surely we could do the same.With things looking up with the new manager and what I would describe as an extremely successful season last term, we should be looking forward and at least gaining medium term security while the EK thing unfolds in the background.Somewhere earlier in the thread it was mentioned about fans not coming back because of something that hasn't happened yet.The name and history of this great club means so much to some people that the fact that the board were even contemplating discussing changing the name was too much to take, never mind "pushing" for fans to vote for it.By the time the yes/no vote came about these fans had already gone, which made the vote a formality.I personally am an inbetweener, I don't agree with the name change but will still support my club "Clyde FC" until the name change happens, if it ever does.But, if it does come about, it will be over for me.I fully understand the feelings of the guys who have already chucked it, as for them, even the discussion of a name change was a step too far, which is very sad as some of these folks have had Clyde in their hearts', and have given their hearts' to Clyde for decades.I think that having all of our eggs in the one EK basket will come back to bite us on the @rse, and the whole thing has already done enough damage, some of which can never be repaired, but sadly, "we are where we are".

Personally think that you too much faith in NLL. Currently we are behind Colts, queen of the south and rugby interns of importance. The working relationship is not there, and yes I do hold the club partially responsible for this.

Then why put in the resolution at all?

I assume it was to persuade some people but that doesn't mean it won't happen. The Board were very successful in persuading a massive majority to vote for one name change without providing any evidence.

As has been mentioned before, should the move and first name change take place, the membership profile will change and likely be more pro EK and less of the people who have been supporting Clyde for decades

personal opinion you wouldnt get a yes vote on a name change now , The board have cart blanche to negotiate the name away to Ek Clyde . It has been stated that the rent will be so low that the EK Clyde model works with no fans attending games ,so why would the board be bothered if nobody followed the club to EK? . The chairman/board to the opportunity to push the vote through when the club was at its lowest ebb and with the gloom and doom scenarios (spin) that was rolled most fans felt there was no alterantive (there may not have been who knows ) But maybe someone can explain to me how within 16 months we go from , we will be playing on a public park , we cant progreess the club in cumbernauld /broadwood Its EK or the club dies. To we are going for promotion, we aim to climb the leagues. something doesnt add up , has our fortunes changed or were the doomsday scenarios played out just to get a yes vote

ps absoluletly delighted that we are aiming for promotion and with our new manager , this is the ideal time to try and unite the club behind this exciting new appointment and try and engage a bit more with the locals from cumbernauld

Even if we did merge with EKFC one day (which I doubt we would), there's no chance "Clyde" would be dropped from the name as some have suggested.

I live in EK and most people don't even know who EKFC are, and most of those who know of them don't realise they are now in a position where they could enter the football league.

Having said that, one of the things that annoys me, is anyone I speak to from East Kilbride, not already related to Clyde, all agree on three things

1) Clyde should have moved to EK years ago, not Cumbernauld.

2) They would still be happy to see us move there now.

3) If we did move there, they absolutely wouldn't want our name to change to EK Clyde.

The reason people from East Kilbride would welcome us, ahead of taking any interest in EKFC or EK Thistle, is because we are a club with history, who have achieved things under the name Clyde FC, so why try and change that?

Personally think that you too much faith in NLL. Currently we are behind Colts, queen of the south and rugby interns of importance. The working relationship is not there, and yes I do hold the club partially responsible for this.

The reason the club is behind the colts in the pecking order is the colts pay the vast majority of the rent. The colts have probably helped Clyde in repaying the historic debt. When Clyde were paying the full rent they never utilised it to the extent that the colts do now. It never helped that the club never paid the rent for a few years.

Even if we did merge with EKFC one day (which I doubt we would), there's no chance "Clyde" would be dropped from the name as some have suggested.

I live in EK and most people don't even know who EKFC are, and most of those who know of them don't realise they are now in a position where they could enter the football league.

Having said that, one of the things that annoys me, is anyone I speak to from East Kilbride, not already related to Clyde, all agree on three things

1) Clyde should have moved to EK years ago, not Cumbernauld.

2) They would still be happy to see us move there now.

3) If we did move there, they absolutely wouldn't want our name to change to EK Clyde.

The reason people from East Kilbride would welcome us, ahead of taking any interest in EKFC or EK Thistle, is because we are a club with history, who have achieved things under the name Clyde FC, so why try and change that?

apparently EKCT insist on the name being changed.

I'm sure NLL will listen if it can be of benefit to them.

Lets get another thing straight, we negotiated the current deal and put ourselves in that pecking order.

We could have had more, but there would obviously have been further cost implications and an agreement was reached based on what we wanted and could afford.

NLL is a business and are not going to dismiss any business proposal just because we are Clyde.

But then again

We are the ones who showed our hand too early (about 5 years too early by the looks of things) and shouted from the rooftops that we intended to leave (with absolutely nothing in place except for a pie in the sky notion which may never come about I may add), but this doesn't mean we shouldn't at least try.

As it stands we could be out on our archie in a couple of years and someone else will come in and take our place in that oh so terrible pecking order, and we'll be playing at Oak road or paying someone else silly money for the use of their stadium.

Maybe we should just sit back fingers and toes crossed and hope that EK comes about, and we gleefully "flit", lose half our support, and follow the mighty EK, KEAN clyde UNITED FC

Aye lets see who.l pay 40k a yr for a tramp of a ground that has half working floodlights for god knows how long,Various other matienance/ignored issues & couple of hours use max

Lets Ground share with anyone from Thistle to Tranent and give them say 20k, They.l bite your hand off in this current bank market and we keep our name..

Fuk em

I might have asked before but can't remember the answer... are there going to be any left-over Commonwealth Games venues Clyde could share or convert for football use?

There's a new hockey stadium in the east end but I can't see it being fit for football.

Archived