Deduct points for defeat

If you want more attacking play then you need to reward attacking. A bonus point for scoring two or more goals even if you lose or draw will give teams an incentive to attack, even in games they would expect to lose.

A 3,2,1,0 system would do that I reckon.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The opening poster could be onto something here.

But why not go a step forward start all teams (in a 10 team division)

• All teams start off with 108 points
  • 0 points are deducted for a win
  • 2 points are deducted for a draw
  • 3 points are deducted for a defeat

I have heard some stupid ideas, but this OP is near enough the worst,

If you want more attacking play then you need to reward attacking. A bonus point for scoring two or more goals even if you lose or draw will give teams an incentive to attack, even in games they would expect to lose.

I'd be in favour of bonus points. Since they were introduced in rugby, they are pretty much the difference makers in terms of reaching play-offs/getting home semi-finals etc.

Bonus points would just increase the advantage the bigger (and wealthier) clubs have. Clubs in the top flight can occasionally beat Celtic 1-0 but over a season Celtic will get a lot more 5+ goal wins than anybody else. A bonus point system would make the chances of a team competing with them even slimmer.

Bonus points would just increase the advantage the bigger (and wealthier) clubs have. Clubs in the top flight can occasionally beat Celtic 1-0 but over a season Celtic will get a lot more 5+ goal wins than anybody else. A bonus point system would make the chances of a team competing with them even slimmer.

No-one is going to compete with Celtic as it stands anyway.

How about we just adopt the Americans no such thing as an even game in sport. Keep playing "Over Time" until someone wins but keep penalty shootouts for knock-out competitions so it doesn't drag on too long.

So much negativity. OP might have a point. I'd also stop rewarding draws.

I'd propose 2pts for a win, 0pts for a draw, -1pt for a defeat...

HJ when it comes to matters such as these you're probably the best informed/most anoraky of the lot of us.

Can you devise a system whereby, usually in cup games but sometimes in league matches, each team is so detested that they both end up losing?

Yeah, Celtic probably have more big wins but I thought the point was to improve the football on display for everyone not make it easier to compete with Celtic. If you are rewarded for having a go rather than playing out mind numbing, defensive 0-0 then more teams will have a go. Even if your side is getting skelped you would be rewarded for attacking and trying to entertain rather than shutting up shop.

How about we just adopt the Americans no such thing as an even game in sport. Keep playing "Over Time" until someone wins but keep penalty shootouts for knock-out competitions so it doesn't drag on too long.

Except during regular season games, if it's still level after overtime they do still draw.

Even the MLS doesn't do this.

I don't understand the myths regarding rewards 'encouraging' teams not to go fully go for a win or hold onto a point they begin the game with. There have been very few times where i've felt that despite how bad the performance and result were, that anyone wasn't trying their best. Making fancy and glitzy bonus points and what not won't make anyone having a shite game try any harder......they'll keep going as much as they can anyway....see Oscar last night. Start confusing things further would only switch even more off, and even the norion that teams would 'have to have a go'....by the games very nature, that would be making managers and clubs even, unneccesarily if already successful, being forced out of character just to satisfy a few geeks. Every points accumulation is open to skullduggery and potentially mutually-benefitting results, but i do believe that goals being the currency,every 3 goals scored should be rewarded. With no other amendments.

I'm not suggesting teams and players are not putting in effort. I'm saying teams set up for a draw and go out to stifle the game, tactically that is fair enough but pretty awful for the poor buggers who paid to watch it. So instead of rewarding torpid, uninspiring football reward teams that entertain.

Entertain is a pretty strong word to use in Scottish football terms right now is it not!!!! I agree....which is exactly my point from the start in rewarding upwards of a number of goals with further points. But some teams will always have to 'stifle', as you put it, to survive....no-one would choose this path for their club, but if BF decided that was to be our approach this year and we won the league, then i frankly couldnt care less who.paid what to see it. On the other hand, having to worry about stifling opponents just to give yourself a chance isn't something your club is likely to ever have to concern itself with, now that your season is just all about getting into the CL, a field in which Celtic become the St.Mirren, Kilmarnock or Inverness of the litter. There's absolutely f**k all point in half of other PL clubs beating Celtic once each if they are just going to bollocks up all their other matches, which is surely the point....creating a more competitive and enjoyable league??

I'm not suggesting teams and players are not putting in effort. I'm saying teams set up for a draw and go out to stifle the game, tactically that is fair enough but pretty awful for the poor buggers who paid to watch it. So instead of rewarding torpid, uninspiring football reward teams that entertain.

What happens if a team plays entertaining attacking football for 90 mins but gets caught on the break repeatedly and loses 3-0? Do they get any points?

No they don't get any points. No need to be a smart arse ;) All Im suggesting is a way to try to reduce the amount of dull games due to teams going out with the intention of boring the opposition and fans to tears. I know its not perfect, its just a thought and Im open to any better suggestion.

Generally it's a pretty stupid thing to go out and play open attacking football against a superior side, which is why teams generally don't do it.

Archived