Manchester United 14/15 thread

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rio Ferdinand cost them near enough the same amount and was nothing less than a rampant success. Wayne Rooney cost as much too and, even though he's becoming more and more of a joke figure with every passing season, his profile would have been so high at one point that they could probably quite easily have recouped what they paid for him. No doubt it's a risk to pay so much for such a young player, but given he's a long term signing who already has international recognition I think it will prove a worthwhile investment.

Ferguson said about Ferdinand that it was a huge amount of money but they got 10 years out of him so over that period it wasn't a lot of money.

If shaw can keep developing then he could potentially be at united for 10-15 years so could end up being a bargain

Two signings, neither of which are world class players and its cost £58+ million. Scary.

Still 3 defenders and 3 midfielders required to make a team (not a squad, a team) that will compete with top 4 or 5 teams. How much will that cost?

A harsh financial lesson in not replacing gradually.

TD

Utter shite, this was trotted out time and time again last season by puddle drinkers.

You don't need a squad or a team full of 'world class' player to compete with the top four or five teams or win the league which is proved year in year out. You need a competent and more importantly tactically flexible coach first and fore most. LVG would have this squad as it stands in the top four.

Players like Smalling, Jones, Welbeck and Valencia aren't world beaters but they are your typical squad players for a decent team.

Shaw has already proved himself as a more than capable player at the level they're playing at, so it's not an enormous gamble. I'm sure there are better value options out there, but it's hardly like they're spending £30m on an unproven League 1 player. They have a guy who could potentially be their left-back for over a decade, and if that's the case then the fee doesn't really seem so large.

There aren't many good English players around, and they need some for their homegrown quotas anyway, so when a talented one does become available there is always going to be an enormous premium on him. The fees are only going to get more and more ridiculous as more money flows into the league through their new TV deal.

The fees are only going to get more and more ridiculous as more money flows into the league through their new TV deal.

That's it, like it or not they've all got this sort of money to spend and in some respects they are trading it amongst each other.

30 m is a lot for shaw but at 18 you can potentially have 15 seasons out of him and he defiantly seems like a class act

I know nothing of Herrera but glad they got a CM. Need to go in for a center back or two, godin perhaps?

Also some guys need to go - Young being the first

With 2 or at a push 3 more additions, centre half being the main one, I think Man utd can will have a very decent starting line up. Add in that they will have a coach that isn't miles out of his depth I think they will improve drastically this year

If Van Gaal can discipline Rafael like Fergie did in the season before last, then there is no real need to get a right back. He did have a hideous season last year, but I reckon VG will get the best back out of Rafael. He was pivotal in the year the title was regained from City. Only 1 centre half needed I think. If Jones can get settled with a new decent partner, then Smalling and Evans are good enough backup options. Would get rid of Cleverly and try get another centre mid in, Vidal would be some signing, however, I think they might wait till January on this one and go for Strootman, he is injured just now. Then a winger is really the only other priority.

Talk of De Jong being brought in for ten mill. Would be a short term option but a decent one I think. Add a bit of bite and plenty of experience. CB is the priority now.

For Nigel? £10 million seems a bit steep.

Archived