Disappointing Live Acts

Ira Gaines

I saw Weezer at the Academy in Glasgow and they were really quite disappointing. The rest of the band were trying their best but Rivers just stood in one spot the whole night.

I had the misfortune of seeing Razorlight in a support capacity in King Tuts once. Utter gash.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found my old gig tickets the other day was thinking about the gigs that were shite

Download Glasgow was just awful. nearly all the bands were playing shite. special mention to H.I.M & Distillers for shiteness though.

Seen Bowling for Soup a couple times when i went to see MC Lars and they are pretty woeful.

KMFDM probably win at shiteness though

Was it in the caird hall?

The worst venue in the fucking universe. I think the sound engineer must be corned beef.

It was indeed. The sound was shite, the gig was boring, Kyle done his token Oasis shite rather than sing his own tunes and I couldn't understand a word that came out of his mouth the entire night. The support act had more stage presence.

Just as an idea of how shite Kyle in fact was that night:

Arctic Monkeys, AECC, November 2007. The most boring experience of my life. Plodding, moody, pish.

Weirdly the same band and songs were a million times better four months previous at TITP, but that night was enough to put you off gigs for life.

Snow Patrol are a band who at one time everyone on my Facebook was saying they would love to see but I got dragged to see them in 2009 and they were utter cow dung.

I have never been a fan but I was at least hoping they would be a decent live act but they are definitely not.

Going back quite a while, perhaps around 1999/2000 Snow Patrol played a free gig in what was then the Virgin Megastore at the top of Buchanan Street. I went in as I had nothing else to do, but left after around 10 minutes as they were appallingly bad. The next I heard of them was a couple of years later when Final Straw came out and was jumping about at the top end of the charts.

On the other side of this - unexpectedly great live acts - was The Specials. They are by no means my favourite band I've seen, but quite possibly the best.

Seen them at T in the Park 3 or 4 years ago, very surprised at how good they were. Best performance of that weekend for me.

Primal Scream are probably the biggest disappointment for me. The twice I've seen them Gillespie has been absolutely fucked to the point that he could barely hold himself up by the microphone.

Arctic Monkeys, AECC, November 2007. The most boring experience of my life. Plodding, moody, pish.

Weirdly the same band and songs were a million times better four months previous at TITP, but that night was enough to put you off gigs for life.

I was there too. Only time I've seen them in the flesh, they certainly did seem to be going through the motions.

Quite frustrating when you see them doing gigs on TV and they always blow the roof off.

Not entirely true EGB, back then Arctic Monkeys were a notoriously shite live act. It's only recently, with Turner becoming an utter bellend of a bloke, that they have gained a stage presence. It's cringey as f**k but it works during the songs for them.

Not entirely true EGB, back then Arctic Monkeys were a notoriously shite live act. It's only recently, with Turner becoming an utter bellend of a bloke, that they have gained a stage presence. It's cringey as f**k but it works during the songs for them.

I know they were always shite in terms of audience interaction and that kind of stuff, but I remember before going to that gig I'd seen clips of their live gigs and thought it looked outstanding, Jimmy Shaker said the same with the TITP set just a few months later.

As for them now, I guess Turner interacting with the crowd by talking in a transatlantic accent and combing his hair like some wannabe 50's bellend is better than no interaction at all. I'm still hesitant to call him a twat for it though, I'm convinced he's trolling the f**k out of everyone. I think it was SSI who pointed out, how can you sing "you're not from New York City you're from Hunter's Bar" and then talk in a fake American accent?

I'd say if he's trolling everyone, he's still a twat.

Without a doubt he's a twat in some shape or form regardless, I think he always has been anyway tbh. I should've rephrased that as me being hesitant to call him a massive twat of the highest order.

I also think that after a few listens I fucking love their new album, so I'm not too bothered what he/they're like in person.

Aye, I'd agree with both of those sentiments. I'd argue that AM is probably their best album to date. Feels like everything from before coming together.

Agreed, it's their best one yet.

Even the songs which sound like pure filler are fucking belters after a few listens. Cracking stuff.

smashing pumpkins at the 02 academy last year. really boring. Billy Corgan started going on about how he tried haggis for the first time.....Enough said.

I would love to have seen Smashing Pumpkins in their prime. Even though since Corgan reformed them they have played Glasgow a few times I couldn't bring myself to go see them as I just had a feeling that if I went I'd leave disappointed.

I saw them in Aberdeen and TITP that year and Turner seemed like he didn't want to be there both times.

I used to think they were cool as f**k back then and now their shows look what I imagine my old man's band used to look like :lol: I bet they're a million percent better to see now though, so if it works, it works. To be fair, if you were in your late 20s, sitting on tens of millions, you and your bandmates all lived in LA and you were all going out with models, it'd be a bit weird if you all cut about in Penguin polos and mumbled inaudibly in local colloquialisms. They've been trying to crack America for years and if the wanky 50s thing has finally helped it to happen, fair play.

And aye, AM is superb.

Archived