Disappointing Live Acts

Ira Gaines

David Bowie at the Phoenix festival, maybe 96 or 97. He was attempting rave music and it was utter dugshite. Me and my pal totally pissed ourselves laughing throughout the entire set and we still talk about it to this day. Bowie himself even admitted that his rave era output was "inconsistent". Inconsistent? It was weapons grade horseshit.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/20/2014 at 11:31, Slacker said:

Bob Dylan. A guy in work warned me that he was total shit live - he'd seen him three times in the hope that he'd improve. His songs are unrecognisable and you can't make out a word of what he's saying. Cost me an arm and a leg too.

On the other side of this - unexpectedly great live acts - was The Specials. They are by no means my favourite band I've seen, but quite possibly the best.

I'd agree with that. I thought I'd never see a better gig than The Fall at the 1990 Reading Festival but The Specials in Glasgow in 2008 was just as good. Corking show.

Going back a few years....

Chris Rea at SECC - absolute shit, never spoke to the audience once, never directly lit by a spotlight and show was 60 minutes long plus 2 encores - GARBAGE

Plant and Page at SECC - sound was absolutely abysmal to the extent that you had no idea what the first couple of songs were. Legends they may have been but that night they were shite

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers at Hampden a few years ago now - thought I was going to see the world's best rhythm section at the time, but they were tedious - singer, Anthony Kaedis Kiedis has no presence whatsoever - some of the guitarist's wah-wah leads were good, but the whole thing was crushingly disappointing - support band, Biffy Clyro blew them away. 

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers at Hampden a few years ago now - thought I was going to see the world's best rhythm section at the time, but they were tedious - singer, Anthony Kaedis Kiedis has no presence whatsoever - some of the guitarist's wah-wah leads were good, but the whole thing was crushingly disappointing - support band, Biffy Clyro blew them away. 

And Biffy are just bog standard festival fare.

I can only think Fruciente added a lot to the RHCP experience because they were so flat when I saw them. Even their hook based songs (as opposed to their stupid flappy flappy bass based songs) were flat.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

And Biffy are just bog standard festival fare.

I can only think Fruciente added a lot to the RHCP experience because they were so flat when I saw them. Even their hook based songs (as opposed to their stupid flappy flappy bass based songs) were flat.

Aye - I'm not really a fan of Biffy, but I was very impressed by the powerful set they delivered with just a three-piece.

Flat is a great way of describing the Chilli Peppers live  - Fruciente was good, but the others didn't seem to be giving much of a f**k - maybe a bit complacent. 

The Stroke's first gig at TITP. I thought the crowd were wrecked until Julian Casablancas stepped on the stage. I've also seen Primal Scream  in London with Boaby Gilliespie out his face  on smack or whatever the drug of his choice was back then and spouting playground political shite onstage about everybody's got to get together and start a revolution, down with the man etc etc when he was supposed to be singing. Truly awful. 

As for the Singing Kettle, I've also found them a tight live outfit with good banter too between the songs too.

Guest Moomintroll
Reverend and the Makers as first support blew RHCP away that day never mind Biffy. I know it was the Stadium Arcadium tour but some of the older stuff they missed out was criminal & there were too many self indulgent guitar solos throughout the set. Thought they were excellent at TITP they year before so was one of my most disappointing gigs.

2 hours ago, Moomintroll said:
8 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Reverend and the Makers as first support blew RHCP away that day never mind Biffy. I know it was the Stadium Arcadium tour but some of the older stuff they missed out was criminal & there were too many self indulgent guitar solos throughout the set. Thought they were excellent at TITP they year before so was one of my most disappointing gigs.

I remember the second support, and they were indeed excellent. 

I don't recall the Chilli Pepper's gtr solos being that indulgent -  to me, they were they only bright spot - like a wee flashy winger doing tanner-ba' tricks in a utilitarian fitba' side - Smith and Fleas were unacceptably pedestrian. 

Guest Moomintroll
I remember the second support, and they were indeed excellent. 
I don't recall the Chilli Pepper's gtr solos being that indulgent -  to me, they were they only bright spot - like a wee flashy winger doing tanner-ba' tricks in a utilitarian fitba' side - Smith and Fleas were unacceptably pedestrian. 
Had more fun re enacting Pingu episodes in the kebab shop queue afterwards than watching them that night.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Good to see someone mention The Strokes. That said, I seen them headline a festival off the back of one album which might have been a big ask for most bands. They were boring from the start.

I'm going to throw Black Sabbath into the mix now. Seen them at Download in 2016 and, again, just ended up fucking off not even halfway into it. Caught the tail end of NOFX which cheered me up.

12 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

Good to see someone mention The Strokes. That said, I seen them headline a festival off the back of one album which might have been a big ask for most bands. They were boring from the start.

I'm going to throw Black Sabbath into the mix now. Seen them at Download in 2016 and, again, just ended up fucking off not even halfway into it. Caught the tail end of NOFX which cheered me up.

Metallica are seriously crap live too. I still haven't met anyone who's seen them and said they were any good. I saw them at Reading one year and walked away - one of those gigs where it sounded like 4 individuals rather than a band. 

On 6/19/2014 at 11:33, The Shire Voice Of Reason said:

Bob Dylan in 1990 at the SECC. I was a huge fan, and I didn't even recognise "Like A Rolling Stone" until verse 2.
Primal Scream on the Screamadelica tour in 91/92? at the Barrowlands. They were so out of it they couldn't even play.

Dylan live is utter dugmeat. I walked away after about 4 songs at Phoenix one year. He was attempting country music and it was abysmal. And he sounded like his character in The Simpsons. No idea what he was saying or singing.

Guest Moomintroll
Metallica are seriously crap live too. I still haven't met anyone who's seen them and said they were any good. I saw them at Reading one year and walked away - one of those gigs where it sounded like 4 individuals rather than a band. 
Agree with that, Skid Row smashed them at Donington in 91 and Sebastian Bach knew it before Metallica had even played.

9 hours ago, RockMusic said:

Have to disagree. One of the best live bands out there. Maybe not as good at festivals as they usually play their main hits to try and win over people who aren’t big Metallica fans, but if you were to see them at their own arena/stadium show your opinion would be different.

Archived