Barry Ferguson

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barry has matured since leaving the rat race of Glasgow, that is obvious but only Time will tell if he has it in him to become a decent coach and manager, most people will expect Clyde to stroll the league at the first time of asking but that will bring pressure from the Scottish media and every result will be analysed. I have no doubt he will be able to attract some decent player's through various contacts that he will have. Why did he not apply for a lesser management position in England I'm sure he would have had offers, or is he planning this as a stepping stone to a bigger club in Glasgow. If it is the latter then it's not the appointment a Clyde fan should want.

What's to be gutted about here? A guy with a bit of pedigree behind him, will have contacts in the game. Whether we can use them or not is another thing.

Will do a great job on the park at our level, a guy the players can look up to having played with rangers and Scotland. The fact he played with rangers isn't a bad thing, most good players in this country do!

God forbid a young manager wants to make a breakthrough, eh? Fucking hell. I can't say I'm surprised at the comments following this appointment, doesn't take away from the fact they're utterly ridiculous though.

I wish him all the best (obviously). It'll be an interesting couple of months to say the least.

So everyone ignoring his complete failure at managing Blackpool then?

Tbh I expect he'll do a good job as player and bring in his pals, that will probably make up for poor management. He will last a couple of years at best until his ability drops off and his pals either retire or find other clubs.

So everyone ignoring his complete failure at mangling Blackpool then?

Tbh I expect he'll do a good job as player and bring in his pals, that will probably make up for poor management. He will last a couple of years at best until his ability drops off and his pals either retire or find other clubs.

He kept them up ultimately, and inherited a failing squad in the first place. To have your first gig in the English Championship is a big ask, so I'm treating it as a clean slate. I still have my doubts over his managerial ability but that's only natural.

He kept them up ultimately, and inherited a failing squad in the first place. To have your first gig in the English Championship is a big ask, so I'm treating it as a clean slate. I still have my doubts over his managerial ability but that's only natural.

Understandable view point and I doubt my opinion would be much different if I was a Clyde fan. I think if he hadn't had his experience at blackpool then his appointment may be viewed more positively by myself, it is possible that experience will stand him in good stead but It can't be viewed as a success and that makes me believe he will be more john brown than Ian Murray,

He is a relative newbie and that leaves things up in the air, some fail, some succeed and others plod along, my guess is he will more likely in a decade or so be considered a failure, but it's only a guess and time will tell.

Not that up on my Championship knowledge, but my crude understanding is that Ferguson inherited a dogshit squad from Paul Ince at Blackpool with a remit to keep them in the league, which he did.

Can someone enlighten me/tell me I'm talking pish? I could be totally wrong, but that's my outsiders take on things anyway :lol:

Good luck to Clyde with this appointment, wish them well. However it can't be denied that Barry Backpass was, and probably still is, an odious c*nt.

If Sevco survive till next year, he'll be the obvious candidate to take over from McCoist once they start making swingeing financial cuts.

If he takes us up this year and Rangers fire a few hundred grand at us for his services, fine by me. :lol:

If he's successful this year I'm sure he will not see out the 3 years and jump at the first club he can. All this development of the club is a load of pish.

Then surely that will secure us compensation from whoever takes him next. What is bad about that?

So everyone ignoring his complete failure at managing Blackpool then?

Not that up on my Championship knowledge, but my crude understanding is that Ferguson inherited a dogshit squad from Paul Ince at Blackpool with a remit to keep them in the league, which he did.

Can someone enlighten me/tell me I'm talking pish? I could be totally wrong, but that's my outsiders take on things anyway :lol:

You can't compare the two situations, unless you are an idiot of course.

He did inherit a disaster of a side that were not good enough for the Championship, to expect a new manager at any level to turn that around in six months is a huge ask and the fact they survived is creditable.

At Clyde, he inherits a team who were pushing for promotion last season, has the majority of that squad minus one or two key players who left (McCluskey and MacDonald). His arrival as player manager means that we gain by a country mile, the best player in the league in a position that Clyde have lacked in since time began. We also have to believe he has a good contact book within Scottish football who can possibly be persuaded to strengthen the team.

Lastly, I think by dropping to this level shows that he must be very serious about this venture. A three year deal is unheard of at this level.

Archived