The Independence Vote, Afterwards.

eindhovendee

Having lived away from Scotland for over 18 years and not eligible to vote I haven't taken as much interest in the Independence debate as I probably should have but it really isn't that well publicised in England and not all in Spain or Holland.

Seeing the levels of seethe and anger from both sides on Twitter, facebook etc. over the last couple of months got me wondering, what will happen afterwards?

I am not talking about if it is a "Yes" or "No" vote what happens to the governing of the country. I am talking about how will the Scottish people get on with each other.

If it a "No" vote will there be animosity from the "Yes" side or will that be that and everything returns to normal immediately? Will there be repercussions from down south, they would surely own Scotland outright from then would they not? Would they (London Parliament) even need to pretend to pay lip service to any wants and needs to the Scots? Would further attempts at Independence be tried? Would the "No" side expect changes to reflect how the vote had gone?

If it is a "Yes" vote would the "No" side immediately emigrate to flee a land that had no future and couldn't survive on it's own? Would there be further attempts to reunite with the rest of the UK? Would the "No" side accept the vote and knuckle down to living in their new smaller country? Would the "No" side expect changes to reflect how the vote had gone?

Would both sides be able to accept whatever is voted for, stay pals and get on with each other, or would we get extremists starting trouble?Will family and friends that know how each other voted be able to continue to get on afterwards?

This has maybe been covered in other threads but I have barely read anything about independence on P&B and am too lazy to wade through 9 pages of topics so apologies if it has been covered and I have asked loads of questions so no need to answer all of them if you don't want to.

I am genuinely curious what people think about this because I haven't read anything about it.

Is everyone too scared to think that far ahead and what might happen?

Edited to move a question.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since all the main parties (UK and Scotland) want to be in the EU, I think we should follow the EU referendum template whereby we just keep asking the question until we get the correct Yes answer. Precedent has already been set with Ireland.

One way or another, people will be moaning about it for decades.

If we become Independent, the Scots cringers' will greet about what fools we are every time anything bad happens.

If we don't, Yes voters will be giving it the told you so when all the cross party pledges evaporate overnight.

Presuming it's a No vote, the media will go looking and find some nutter going off his nut and print a few headlines about how Scots might start bombing hotels, but in reality there won't be only actual aggro. Just lots of c***s moaning.

I don't think I could ever forgive anyone who voted no in the event of a no result, I wouldn't wish them any harm or be abusive etc but I genuinely think that a no vote is the worst thing that could happen to this country and people seem to be enjoying damning our country to the brink of destruction of public services and implementation of a horrible xenophobic regime under a ukip Tory coalition,for those reasons I would never forget.

Are you seriously saying you would be unable to forgive potentially 55 per cent of the entire population? For disagreeing with you politically?!

A no vote and we continue to be ruled by the English, most likely the Tory party again when they most likely win the UK General Election next year.

The Tories like to try Scotland as a 'test bed' remember the Poll Tax in 1990? They shut down our coastguard stations, RAF bases... Leave us with nukes...

A "No" vote will simply confirm that Scotland has a disappointingly high proportion of pea-hearted forelock-tuggers too servile to do anything other than throw any possibility of a decent future under the bus of Tory bullying and xenophobia.

I was going to start a thread about this. I don't think on a societal level there will be any unrest but I think in terms of politics it has the potential to mark the debate for decades, probably like no event before or since.

If it's a clear No then I think there will be a lot of despondency from yes activists. Less than or around 40% would really be a crushing blow to the independence movement and you'd see a degree of bitterness creeping in - I wouldn't be surprised to see a few people who should know better coming out with Jim Sillars-style "90 minute nationalist" comments in this scenario. The lunatic fringe / cybernat types will no doubt go into meltdown, which is one of the best reasons to vote No, IMHAHO. I imagine the JK Rowling abuse will pale into insignificance as various tantrummy messes rail against the quisling, weak Scottish people.

If the result is a narrow victory for 'No' then I think you'll see a 'one final push' mentality from yes supporters, maybe with the promise of more SNP goverments reintroducing a bill for a further vote - the Neverendum scenario. I can see why Yes voters would think this way but I'm not sure how this would play with voters. The thought of having continual constitutional debate and wrangling might cause people to move away from voting SNP.

If it's a yes victory then obviously that will be a stunning, revolutionary moment in British politics. I think the No side will almost be in a sense of disbelief - I geniunely get the feeling that most people who back No assume that No will win and don't entertain the prospect of a Yes vote, whereas Yes backers understand that they are underdogs. If there is a Yes win then it'll be a narrow one and this could raise the spectre of legitimacy. If 50.1% vote Yes then we'll have a new state, a declaration of independence but with far fewer than half of the population actively backing the new state. Will that pose a problem and how will people react? You might see some try to use this to push back against the result if it was very close - unwise electorally as I think the voters understand that if you don't vote then you aren't automatically voting No and will see any attempt to overrun the result as being undemocratic and unfair.

I fully expect in the event of a no vote, there will be another vote held in my lifetime, and the result of that will be a yes vote.

What about in the event of a yes vote? Would you expect no voters to immediately start campaigning for a 'reintegration' referendum (for want of a better term).

Whichever way the vote goes, hopefully we will be able to forget about constitutional questions, for a little while at least, and get on with actually running the country.

What about in the event of a yes vote? Would you expect no voters to immediately start campaigning for a 'reintegration' referendum (for want of a better term).

Whichever way the vote goes, hopefully we will be able to forget about constitutional questions, for a little while at least, and get on with actually running the country.

Absolutely not. The current generation in power and those in their middle age are the ones who are the blockade to independence; once they die out, my generation would hopefully see sense and do what the previous generation could not.

The lunatic fringe / cybernat types will no doubt go into meltdown, which is one of the best reasons to vote No, IMHAHO.

That will never be better than the meltdown certain elements of The Rangers support will have could you imagine it? OYF :lol:

In the event of a NO vote, the first time Scotland is subjected to a further Tory government that it did not vote for I think there may be social unrest.

Not just in Scotland either.

Coincidence Boris has got some water cannons for London?

Archived