Who will be the next manager of Hibernian?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think there is such a thing as a 'safe appointment' in management nowadays. Always a bit of a risk in some aspect.

Murray is definitely too much of a risk... leave him alone.

Yes well OK, but you know what I mean though, there are safer appointments than others and there are riskier appointments than others. Murray could be a Hartley (although he currently has less experience and has never won promotion), or he couldn't be, and we don't need another failed appointment. A huge task awaits to completely populate a squad and create a pre-season program in a matter of days and weeks, then lead them up to promotion with Rangers, Hearts and Falkirk awaiting in a division with 1 promotion slot and 1 inter-divisional playoff. Big ask, hence inexperience troubles me.

I'm not sure his Hibs background counts for much either in terms of achieving results on the pitch (obviously it'd be of huge help in making fans happy - at the beginning anyway). Barely any players are left at the club as the moment, far less players he played with, and previous 'legends' like Sauzee and Paaetelinian went wrong.

Yes well OK, but you know what I mean though, there are safer appointments than others and there are riskier appointments than others. Murray could be a Hartley (although he currently has less experience and has never won promotion), or he couldn't be, and we don't need another failed appointment. A huge task awaits to completely populate a squad and create a pre-season program in a matter of days and weeks, then lead them to promotion with Rangers, Hearts and Falkirk awaiting in a division with 1 promotion slot and 2 inter-divisional playoff.

I'm not sure his Hibs background counts for much either in terms of achieving results on the pitch (obviously it'd be of huge help in making fans happy - at the beginning anyway). Barely any players are left at the club as the moment, far less players he played with, and previous 'legends' like Sauzee and Paaetelinian went wrong.

When exactly was Ian Murray supposed to lead Dumbarton to promotion?

Wouldn't surprise me if it's Ian Murray.

But could someone explain why that would be a rational safe appointment...? Not in terms of "he's a young manager going places" or "he understands this club", "the fans will love him" or all this hope 'n emotion stuff. He's 33, been manager at a part-time club for 18 months, avoided relegation in Year 1 and finished mid-table in Year 2, and won the Stirlingshire Cup... yes, decent.

However, it's a huge leap from that to rebuiling Hibernian FC, signing a whole new squad drawn from all parts, and getting promoted ASAP. It might work-out fine, but anyone suggesting it's the obvious appointment or a safe one is having a laugh.

Er, his achievements at the Rock have been slightly better than 'decent'.

The change in fortune in the second half of season 1 was absolutely extraordinary. An unbelievable turnaround which seen us beat every team in the league.

In Year 2 he built on that success taking Dumbarton to their highest league placing in a generation, with our fans scarcely believing that we could be challenging for a play off spot.

We also enjoyed our best Scottish cup run in a generation.

Best just leaving him alone tbh.

Er, his achievements at the Rock have been slightly better than 'decent'.

The change in fortune in the second half of season 1 was absolutely extraordinary. An unbelievable turnaround which seen us beat every team in the league.

In Year 2 he built on that success taking Dumbarton to their highest league placing in a generation, with our fans scarcely believing that we could be challenging for a play off spot.

We also enjoyed our best Scottish cup run in a generation.

Best just leaving him alone tbh.

I wholeheartedly concur with this train of thought.

He's of no use to you, Hibs.

When exactly was Ian Murray supposed to lead Dumbarton to promotion?

He wasn't. But that doesn't change the fact that he hasn't done that and therefore hasn't experience of the pressures of that situation. I think it is perfectly fair to say that he's an inexperienced candidate and would be more of a gamble than other appointments might be. If it is him, I hope this gamble pays-off, my point is that it might not and after so many failed appointments and with the club in tier 2 that's risky.

can't see us paying compo when we're having to give tb and mm a pay off. think it's be someone whose already available. i wouldn't want murray to take this poison chalice of a job. the guys just started out as a manager, last thing he needs is getting slated if things go wrong.

steve clarke, never gonna happen but i can dream.

I'd be surprised if Stuart McCall joined as well... but I'd expect him to put a right good Hibs team together if he did. McCall should just bide his time until an offer comes from the English championship though, in my opinion. I reckon Butcher should have done that at Caley Thistle also. His switch to Hibs just didn't make sense at that point in his career when he was highly regarded.

McCall, Murray or McLeish would all be excellent appointments. Three people who I have an enormous amount of respect for. McCall and Murray will likely remain where they are, and rightly so. McLeish is available, and he's taken Hibs up before.

Archived