Alistair Darling telt on the news

DAFC

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hadnt seen darling for a wee while on tv being asked questions and after scotland tonight last night i dont think bt will trot him out again he is awful and i mean awful.I put lamont on before him if i was bt

I know we're all holding out for a Salmond v Cameron debate but if he was to debate Darling in a prime time slot on BBC1 or ITV the pwnage (for want of a better word) would be fantastic.

I'm sorry are you saying they'll win BECAUSE of Miliband, or they'll only win by a whisker because Miliband is a good politician and will make ground?

As for the OP, the wee jakey's absolutely right. A No vote WILL result in 5 more years of Tories and 5 more years of austerity.

Hell, even IF the Labour clowns get in, we're still looking at 5 more years of austerity.

and if scottish labour get incharge of an independent scotland ? which will no doubt inevitably happen

and if scottish labour get incharge of an independent scotland ? which will no doubt inevitably happen

They'll f**k things up and then the Scottish electorate will boot them out.

Many thanks for pointing out a key fundamental aspect of independence- we always get the government we vote for.

They'll f**k things up and then the Scottish electorate will boot them out.

Many thanks for pointing out a key fundamental aspect of independence- we always get the government we vote for.

so the snp will happily take up their tartan tories position ?

What did I say in the other thread. FFS!!!!!!!!

I know you all poo-poo the threat but I don't see how Scotland can be accepted as part of this "peace triangle" that exists between Ireland, Central Europe and Scandanavia.

Surely we will always be tied to the British military, whether through choice or not?

Scrapping trident

Slimming down of the armed forces

Oil Pension Fund (Norway's currently sits at $800 Billion and change)

Shall I continue?

Continue? You could start.

Which specific elements of the SNP's monetary and fiscal policy lead you to believe Scotland will be different?

Remember their policy on NATO requires a minimum spend on armed forces and oil funds are so last year - plus this oil will be too busy paying for the present to be worrying about the future.

I'm sorry are you saying they'll win BECAUSE of Miliband, or they'll only win by a whisker because Miliband is a good politician and will make ground?

Labour should be able to win the next election but they won't because Ed Miliband is useless. Just listen to the way he talks. As we get to the leader's debates the polls will swing massively to the Tories.

And what do you plan on doing when the next war starts?

Keep our noses the f**k out!!!

As has been said before, we vote them out, because we can, because in an indy Scotland, votes will matter!

I know you all poo-poo the threat but I don't see how Scotland can be accepted as part of this "peace triangle" that exists between Ireland, Central Europe and Scandanavia.

Surely we will always be tied to the British military, whether through choice or not?

No. No, we won't. I want you to go and stand in the corner for several minutes and think long and hard about what you're doing here, young man.

Keep our noses the f**k out!!!

As has been said before, we vote them out, because we can, because in an indy Scotland, votes will matter!

No. No, we won't. I want you to go and stand in the corner for several minutes and think long and hard about what you're doing here, young man.

anyone who thinks a labour led scotish parliment would stay out of any war/ military operation westminister becomes involved in seriously delusional

anyone who thinks a labour led scotish parliment would stay out of any war/ military operation westminister becomes involved in seriously delusional

So we vote them out at the first opportunity.

Because Scottish votes count in an iScotland.

Are you starting to see how this works yet?

So we vote them out at the first opportunity.

Because Scottish votes count in an iScotland.

Are you starting to see how this works yet?

yes it sounds ironically like this thing we have in place already at the moment called democracy , an independent scotland would just turn into a labour v snp bitchfest where once either is in power all thier promises made throughout the referendum and GE campains will dissapear into smoke. Christ the more things will change, the more they will stay the same

yes it sounds ironically like this thing we have in place already at the moment called democracy , an independent scotland would just turn into a labour v snp bitchfest where once either is in power all thier promises made throughout the referendum and GE campains will dissapear into smoke. Christ the more things will change, the more they will stay the same

Yeah absolutely!

Whereas now, our votes don't even count!! Brilliant!!!!!!!!

please explain how our votes dont count ?

Last 18 general elections:

1945 Labour govt (Attlee)

————————————

Labour majority: 146

Labour majority without any Scottish MPs in Parliament: 143

NO CHANGE WITHOUT SCOTTISH MPS

1950 Labour govt (Attlee)

————————————

Labour majority: 5

Without Scottish MPs: 2

NO CHANGE

1951 Conservative govt (Churchill/Eden)

——————————————————–

Conservative majority: 17

Without Scottish MPs: 16

NO CHANGE

1955 Conservative govt (Eden/Macmillan)

——————————————————–

Conservative majority: 60

Without Scottish MPs: 61

NO CHANGE

1959 Conservative govt (Macmillan/Douglas-Home)

————————————————————————

Conservative majority: 100

Without Scottish MPs: 109

NO CHANGE

1964 Labour govt (Wilson)

————————————

Labour majority: 4

Without Scottish MPs: -11

CHANGE: LABOUR MAJORITY TO CONSERVATIVE MAJORITY OF 1

(Con 280, Lab 274, Lib 5)

1966 Labour govt (Wilson)

————————————

Labour majority: 98

Without Scottish MPs: 77

NO CHANGE

1970 Conservative govt (Heath)

——————————————–

Conservative majority: 30

Without Scottish MPs: 55

NO CHANGE

1974 Minority Labour govt (Wilson)

————————————————

Labour majority: -33

Without Scottish MPs: -42

POSSIBLE CHANGE – LABOUR MINORITY TO CONSERVATIVE MINORITY

(Without Scots: Con 276, Lab 261, Lib 11, Others 16)

1974b Labour govt (Wilson/Callaghan)

—————————————————–

Labour majority: 3

Without Scottish MPs: -8

CHANGE: LABOUR MAJORITY TO LABOUR MINORITY

(Lab 278 Con 261 Lib 10 others 15)

1979 Conservative govt (Thatcher)

————————————————

Conservative majority: 43

Without Scottish MPs: 70

NO CHANGE

1983 Conservative govt (Thatcher)

————————————————

Conservative majority: 144

Without Scottish MPs: 174

NO CHANGE

1987 Conservative govt (Thatcher/Major)

——————————————————

Conservative majority: 102

Without Scottish MPs: 154

NO CHANGE

1992 Conservative govt (Major)

———————————————

Conservative majority: 21

Without Scottish MPs: 71

NO CHANGE

1997 Labour govt (Blair)

———————————–

Labour majority: 179

Without Scottish MPs: 139

NO CHANGE

2001 Labour govt (Blair)

———————————–

Labour majority: 167

Without Scottish MPs: 129

NO CHANGE

2005 Labour govt (Blair/Brown)

——————————————–

Labour majority: 66

Without Scottish MPs: 43

NO CHANGE

2010 Coalition govt (Cameron)

——————————————

Conservative majority: -38

Without Scottish MPs: 19

CHANGE: CON-LIB COALITION TO CONSERVATIVE MAJORITY

So in summary we can see the following:

- on ONE occasion (1964) Scottish MPs have turned what would have been a Conservative government into a Labour one. The Tory majority without Scottish votes would have been just one MP (280 vs 279), and as such useless in practice. The Labour government, with an almost equally feeble majority of 4, lasted just 18 months and a Tory one would probably have collapsed even faster.

- on ONE occasion (the second of the two 1974 elections) Scottish MPs gave Labour a wafer-thin majority (319 vs 316) they wouldn’t have had from the rest of the UK alone, although they’d still have been the largest party and able to command a majority in a pact with the Liberals, as they eventually did in reality.

- and on ONE occasion (2010) the presence of Scottish MPs has deprived the Conservatives of an outright majority, although the Conservatives ended up in control of the government anyway in coalition with the Lib Dems when Labour refused to co-operate with other parties in a “rainbow alliance”.

- which means that for 65 of the last 67 years, Scottish MPs as an entity have had no practical influence over the composition of the UK government. From a high of 72 MPs in 1983, Scotland’s representation will by 2015 have decreased to 52, substantially reducing any future possibility of affecting a change.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/why-labour-doesnt-need-scotland/

Archived