Rik Mayall dead...

Confidemus

Was confused today when I switched on the TV to see Rik at news time, then realised what had happened.

Even though it was small clips it still cheered me up after a shit day at work.

I'm gutted we won't see any new material from him, sad loss.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a world of 24 hour news and overreaction of grief at a celebrity or member of the bl**dy royal family dying. i am today one of those people I slag off.

I am so gutted at losing a genius and not seeing the great man perform again.

in my 40's and he was a massive part of me growing up, from sneaking the TV on to watch The Young Ones (I called my Mum a pr1ck once and got so much grief for it - cheers Rik), Mr Jolly, Bad News, Kevin Turvey, A Fist full of Travellers Cheques, the list goes on there was nothing else like it at that time.

a hero. RIP

Why is it always the good guys that fall off the perch early ? Why couldn't it have been Lenny "I'll-Do-Absolutely-Anything-To-Try-And-Resurrect-My-Career" Henry ? He's as unfunny as feck and a boring B'stard to boot.

Or Michael Gove - why couldn't he die ? Or Sepp Blatter ? The evil c*nts always hang around decades too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJBoHa3GArA

Like most I'm genuinely gutted by this news, probably more because you know that there are no more Flasheart, Bottom, B'Stard etc.

There might not have been anyway but that is it now.

RIP Rik.

Bob Mortimer tweeted this pic. :(

BptS3VpIIAA8yHL.jpg

Oh dear that's so moving, a picture that speaks of a sense of personal and community loss.

B'stard would be horrified to read that there is a community that is mourning loss and celebrating our collective joy.

I recall Ben Elton warming an Eden Court audience and it being funny. Ben Elton sweated buckets making it funny.

When the time came for Rik to come on, he didn't.

He did a sound only sketch that was extraordinary.

The theatre laughed at a man not on stage.

When he came on, he didn't speak.

The theatre laughter at a comic not telling jokes.

Now Rik along with that fantastic rib threatening evening is a treasured memory.

So desperately sad. Awful news.

Like others, I grew up pishing myself laughing at Rick's antics. A genuine comedy landmark in every way, and a force of nature into the bargain.

The world is a less funny place tonight. Gutting.

Why should we, the country that produced Shakespeare, Christopher Wren - and those are just the people on our banknotes for Christ's sake - cower down to the countries that produced Hitler, Napoleon, the Mafia, and the... the... The Smurfs!

genuinely saddened to hear of this.. more so when I realised how young he actually was...not much older than myself, which is quite frightening. Surprised nobody has mentioned his most recent role as Greg Davies's mad mental dad in 'Man Down', a role I thought he played to perfection, and probably the one I will remember him most for alongside Alan B'Stard...

Rick from the young ones will always be his epitaph, but am I alone in thinking that 'Bottom' was absolute, unfunny shite?

I was about to post that quote as well, I laughed rather loudly in the office reading it, is that wrong?

Nope - outside of Mayall's immediate family, Edmondson probably knew him better than anyone else on the planet, so would know where the acceptable boundaries between the 2 lay. If Edmondson had dropped dead yesterday instead, I reckon Mayall would have said something very similar.

Archived