very odd matches

Booker-T

So what games can you think of that have been played in odd circumstances, in strange places or just shouldn't have happened for one reason or another.

I'll kick off with the 1980 Copa Del Rey Final

pretty clear what is so odd about this game from the moment you see the club crests.

79-80! Thats some scoreline. Odd indeed.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what games can you think of that have been played in odd circumstances, in strange places or just shouldn't have happened for one reason or another.

I'll kick off with the 1980 Copa Del Rey Final

pretty clear what is so odd about this game from the moment you see the club crests.

About 2.30 into that video, the Real Madrid player punching the ball in the net. :lol:

Having to cheat against your own "B" side. RM really are and always have been a despicable club.

Helicopter Sunday was a weird one.

Obviously we were playing Rangers and with them having the 1-0 lead they needed (and hoping for a cultic f**k up which happened later) and our European place secured the ball was just passed around without either team doing much with it.

I can remember the away end erupting when the news came through Motherwell had scored

Football Manager: WWII would be an interesting game.

I've often wondered why there didn't seem to be even one "retro" football management (or playing) games. You get plenty of flight simulators, wargamings and so on based on old aeroplanes or historical conflicts.

During the WWII, proper league football continued throughout in Scotland and Northern Ireland, though with geographically remote teams excluded/forced into their own leagues.

However being larger and suffering more widespread aerial bombardment it proved impossible in England in 1940-41 so they established 2 gigantic divisions: North (36 clubs) & South (34 clubs). Clubs largely arranged their own schedules, and with huge variation in numbers of games played only Goal Average was used. This concept of huge divisions with partial fixture lists persisted, continually tweaked, until peace. Usually, pre-Christmas everyone would play 18 games allowing straightforward use of Points, post-Christmas totals would vary and they'd use "Averaged Points".

• 2 weeks later...

About a year after I got to London I was walking past Leyton FC's ground. I knew the club had folded so was surprised to hear a game on. Turnstiles were open and no-one manning a thing so I poked my head in. Both teams looked decent (about Junior league level), ref and two linesmen and the managers/coaches were all wearing their team's colours so I presumed it was a local amateur final or the like. Anyway there's only twenty folk there and I was about to ask what was going on when the ref blew for full time and half a dozen G4S security guards start shepherding one of the teams into a few prison transport vans and rumbled away without any post-match handshakes or anything.

Obviously a prison team (god knows who they were playing) but when ye weren't expecting it: a very odd thing to see.

Going through matches in history and got reminded of this one. Stirling Albion 20 Selkirk 0 on the 8th December 1984 in the Scottish cup.

Any Stirling fans on P&B at this game? I am wondering how bad Selkirk must have been? large scorelines were common place during the 19th century and pre 2nd world war, but in 1984, this one looked completely out of place.

We were playing Hearts at home that day and the away end certainly seemed happy when news came through about their big team winning the title.

To be fair I hate both the ugly sisters equally but I was happy with that because it was so fucking hilarious. If they're gonna finish 1st/2nd anyway at least let half of them be totally heartbroken

We were playing Hearts at home that day and the away end certainly seemed happy when news came through about their big team winning the title.

Aberdeen could have still finished 3rd on goal difference that day if i remember correctly

Italy are playing a brazilian club side at the moment. The atmosphere is amazing. I always find it odd when national teams play club sides

Dunfermline played New Zealand twice on a preseason tour in 02 or 03, losing once and winning once.

Going through matches in history and got reminded of this one. Stirling Albion 20 Selkirk 0 on the 8th December 1984 in the Scottish cup.

Any Stirling fans on P&B at this game? I am wondering how bad Selkirk must have been? large scorelines were common place during the 19th century and pre 2nd world war, but in 1984, this one looked completely out of place.

apparently Selkirk were in temporary abeyance and it was a Border Amateurs team that played in the game- my mate was actually there and said there were 15 breakaways!!

City once played Bankfoot Athletic in a pre-season friendly at Noranside Open Prison, which was a strange one.

There's a thread in Infowire somewhere which I started about Scots clubs playing national teams, it got quite a lot of responses.

It was quite common back-in-the-day when clubs would got on summer tours to the dominions, or latterly Africa or Asia, to spread the footballing word. I recall a few bizarre examples including Brazil 1-1 Motherwell (with 'Well then having to dash straight to the harbour in their kit to catch the ship back home) and Japan 2-4 Stirling Albion as late as 1966.

Here's the full thread:

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/168189-literally-club-v-country/

Loads of great results in there.

While not club-v-country, Zenit St Petersburg 0-2 Civil Service is another personal favourite.

About a year after I got to London I was walking past Leyton FC's ground.

Lea Bridge Road is one of my favourite grounds.

You could walk past it without knowing it was there, yet it's right in the middle of one of the most densely populated places in the country. It has a right mish-mash of everything; very modern terracing behind one goal, grass behind another goal, and a collection of about 3 different stands built at different points in time down one side of the ground.

Archived