Anti homeless spikes

The latest Twitter outrage has been provoked by photographs of anti-homeless spikes/studs outside a London block of flats. The spikes are designed to stop rough sleepers kipping down in doorways. Here's the photo:

anti-homeless-spik_2934649b.jpg

On one hand I can see why this would provoke anger, it seems a cold heartless way to deal with the issue of a rough sleeper. However, I can understand why people might not want their building becoming used by homeless people. I've lived in areas where there were alcoholics and rough sleepers and all the problems that they can bring. When I lived in a tenement flat in Leith on several occasions alcoholics gained access to the communal stair and tried to use it to sleep or drink in. I was never faced with them but other people in the stair told them to clear off - should they have tried to help them?

Also, when I lived at the top of Easter Road a cadre of local drunks used to sit on the wall in London Street gardens and tan tramp juice. When I went through their recently steel plates had been bolted to the wall to stop people sitting there. Also, the Boots at the bottom of Leith Walk installed wires to stop 'customers' sitting on their window ledge outside, my understanding being that receipents of methadone used to sit there after getting their medicine.

Any P&Bers ever had their rough sleeping spot taken from them by the introduction of spikes?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Former magicians who could do the 'bed of nails' trick but have fallen on hards times and became homeless are said to be 'not bothered' by this.

Surely there are more reasonable and safer ways around the issue? Putting in SPIKES seems a bit brutal.

Former magicians who could do the 'bed of nails' trick but have fallen on hards times and became homeless are said to be 'not bothered' by this.

I was going to red dot that for being an awful joke, but you'd get a green dot for effort.

The latest Twitter outrage has been provoked by photographs of anti-homeless spikes/studs outside a London block of flats. The spikes are designed to stop rough sleepers kipping down in doorways. Here's the photo:

anti-homeless-spik_2934649b.jpg

On one hand I can see why this would provoke anger, it seems a cold heartless way to deal with the issue of a rough sleeper. However, I can understand why people might not want their building becoming used by homeless people. I've lived in areas where there were alcoholics and rough sleepers and all the problems that they can bring. When I lived in a tenement flat in Leith on several occasions alcoholics gained access to the communal stair and tried to use it to sleep or drink in. I was never faced with them but other people in the stair told them to clear off - should they have tried to help them?

Also, when I lived at the top of Easter Road a cadre of local drunks used to sit on the wall in London Street gardens and tan tramp juice. When I went through their recently steel plates had been bolted to the wall to stop people sitting there. Also, the Boots at the bottom of Leith Walk installed wires to stop 'customers' sitting on their window ledge outside, my understanding being that receipents of methadone used to sit there after getting their medicine.

Any P&Bers ever had their rough sleeping spot taken from them by the introduction of spikes?

A piece of piss.

Bed-of-nails-The-inside-t-007.jpg

I'll spike any homeless that I see from now on, just to do my bit. I also propose setting fire to any council estates you can find locally, we don't want those in a lower economic bracket from ourselves to be near our homesteads.

Obviously it is the homeless' own fault that they are without a fixed abode, so this move is entirely justified and if anything it's for their own good and will encourage them to stop sleeping rough and get jobs.

Funnily enough, in the original story the paper went to the local council who said they would look into the health and safety aspect of the spikes.

Archived