Best Man Speech No. 17373

DJP

My best man started with "I'm sure you can tell, but I'm really nervous. I really want to do a good job because Adam has promised if I do that I can be best man at his next wedding."

It was fairly well received!

Criticising the bride is absolutely out, with the exception of criticising her taste in men.

Bob has had relationships before but when it came to settling down he was looking for someone special, someone beautiful, someone intelligent, someone considerate and thoughtful, someone who enchants everyone she meets.

Luckily for him Sally wasn't as fussy.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the all the responses. Done the best man speech last Friday. Went down really well. Several people even saying best speech they ever heard. Other people shocked that they actually understood me for once. Was hard staying sober till 4pm!

Once again, thanks to those who posted

The audience fecking loved it and when the groom stood up after me, he took his prepared speech and crumpled it up and tossed it away ! Then he just spoke off the cuff.....

For my first wedding I had a well prepared speech (written that morning) and after my best man did his thing I 'crumpled it up and spoke from the heart' but to be honest it was what I'd written down, it seemed to come across as sincere and honest, which was what I was after. It wasn't preplanned, it just occurred to me that it would seem more 'genuine'. Bullshit baffles brains and all that.

As others have said, risque is fine, vulgar is a bit of a no no. If needed a few small props can be handy, one best man speech I did I pulled out a clothes peg and presented it to her as a something she might need after she was married (playing to stereotypes) and then pulled a wee can of deoderant out gave it to him and said to the bridesmaid, the clothes peg was for her nose when he didn't use the deoderant so she'd be using the clothes peg on a regular basis. It went down pretty well, but you're playing to an appreciative audience which helps. When you've got your speeches sorted (best done together between groom and best man) practice them and have a rough idea how long they'll be, just guidelines of course because there'll be laughing and clapping but you'll know if its dragging on too long. Oh aye, and its the law that the best man gets to pump the bridesmaid :P

Groom speech to do a week today. Need to start writing it soon. Reckon I'll be alright after a few drinks

Grooms have an easy ride (pun intended), they just have to get up and thank everyone and say how lucky they are, you'll be fine, as I posted earlier, the first time I tossed aside my 'script' and said some pish about it not being worthy and then pretty much said it word for word anyway. The best man has the most difficult gig (apart from getting the grooms father to shut his pus) but even then he's playing to a very benevolent audience. If you're not used to public speaking (I'm not especially so I know what its like) just think of all the arseholes who've done it before you so it can't be that hard. Practice it between you and the best man (or a mate if he's not about) and punctuate it where you think there will be laughs/claps so you get a feel for it, the more you do it the more familiar you'll be with it and it will be more natural, practice makes perfect and all that. Don't get monged either,well not until after the toasts. Hope it goes well for you dude.

Archived