Celebrity Masterchef

The Naitch

11 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Fair enough, he nailed the final three courses. No complaints from me.

Yup.  While Matt was the one who most knew his way around a kitchen, Riyadh’s high were the best, and his risks the biggest.  He also thought most about the colours and flavour combinations.   A deserved winner, even if he pushes the boundaries of the word “celebrity”.

I really enjoyed that series.  

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, The Naitch said:

The first of this year's Christmas shows are on tonight. Vicky Pattison, Dev, Biggins and Janet Street Porter all competing in the kitchen.

Janet Street Porter - in fact all of them -  clearly has been cooking a lot since she was last on. There was some pretty impressive fare on show. 

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Who had Su and Bez to make it through to the semi finals? Superbly bonkers start to the series.

Bez was flambéing stuff. He may have no idea about presentation, but he has some confidence and flair in the kitchen. He can barely string a coherent sentence together, and his talking head moments are minimal, but he’s nobody’s fool in this series. 

Edit: did enjoy Gregg singing with Su after trying to get Bez to throw some shapes. 

Edited by Savage Henry

On 10/08/2021 at 17:40, coprolite said:

I'm glad that 

Reveal hidden contents

That "comedian" boy

went out. It takes some effort to be the most irritating person in a room containing Su Pollard. 

If I never see or hear of him again it will be too soon. 

I do like them all getting excited about the famous chef and then some nomark wanders in who is about as much of a celebrity as they are. 

Im calling bullshit on the celebs getting no help on the skills test. Last week they had to roll out pasta for a carbonara and not one of them made an arse of it, then this week they were making deep fried squid rings and just by coincidence every one of them knew how to gut a squid like a Michelin star chef? If the producers of Masterchef had any sense they would be making the skills tests as hard for the celebs as they do for the professionals, it’s by far the best bit of the full series and I just don’t buy 4 amateur cooks being competent enough to roll their own pasta and gut their own squids without any outside help. Jonty Road makes the dish look like it’s going to be a challenge then some woman from TOWIE comes in and knows the exact vein to pull from the squid like she’s done it a hundred times before 🧐

Edited by IrishBhoy

On 22/08/2021 at 06:47, IrishBhoy said:

Im calling bullshit on the celebs getting no help on the skills test. Last week they had to roll out pasta for a carbonara and not one of them made an arse of it, then this week they were making deep fried squid rings and just by coincidence every one of them knew how to gut a squid like a Michelin star chef? If the producers of Masterchef had any sense they would be making the skills tests as hard for the celebs as they do for the professionals, it’s by far the best bit of the full series and I just don’t buy 4 amateur cooks being competent enough to roll their own pasta and gut their own squids without any outside help. Jonty Road makes the dish look like it’s going to be a challenge then some woman from TOWIE comes in and knows the exact vein to pull from the squid like she’s done it a hundred times before 🧐

I think it’s more a case of the contestants overplaying how incompetent in the kitchen they are.  To be fair, Greg did mention that he was surprised to see the TOWIE woman do the deveining.  I’m also pretty sure they know what the skills test is going to be in advance.  

11 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I think it’s more a case of the contestants overplaying how incompetent in the kitchen they are.  To be fair, Greg did mention that he was surprised to see the TOWIE woman do the deveining.  I’m also pretty sure they know what the skills test is going to be in advance.  

Fair enough, im sure that’s probably right. Im still not buying 4 randomly picked celebrities being able to devein a squid though. The pasta skill test with the carbonara I could believe, even myself as a pretty amateur cook would have a good go at rolling spaghetti and I would have known to make the sauce with egg yolk as well as adding a cup of the pasta water at the end.
If someone put a squid down in front of me however I wouldn’t know where to start. Now I’m remembering, 4 out of 4 also knew to put paprika through the dry flour mix, unless I’m missing something thats not very common when making a batter for deep frying yet they all done it. 

41 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Fair enough, im sure that’s probably right. Im still not buying 4 randomly picked celebrities being able to devein a squid though. The pasta skill test with the carbonara I could believe, even myself as a pretty amateur cook would have a good go at rolling spaghetti and I would have known to make the sauce with egg yolk as well as adding a cup of the pasta water at the end.
If someone put a squid down in front of me however I wouldn’t know where to start. Now I’m remembering, 4 out of 4 also knew to put paprika through the dry flour mix, unless I’m missing something thats not very common when making a batter for deep frying yet they all done it. 

You may well be right.  I’m less pissed off with deception on Celebrity Masterchef than when Professionals can’t do basics.

44 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

You may well be right.  I’m less pissed off with deception on Celebrity Masterchef than when Professionals can’t do basics.