What do clubs in this league have re youth set ups? I am aware that Morton and Stenny have pretty comprehensive set ups but what do others do?

Morton have a full suite of youth teams from 11s up plus our reserves development squad. These are all pretty much self funding with the Youth academy being operated through a registered charity. The Development squad also have sponsors etc. Its all fairly recent as in the last 18 months or so, but we hope to start to see so results from it coming into the first team soon.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its pretty safe to say we have the strongest youth set up at this level.

This summer we are merging with the other fife teams to make the fife youth academy , I believe this will be granted 4* status, it remains to be seen if we will run our own teams alongside this for players not quite good enough to play at the accademy but we still want involved in our youth system. I'm not sure what age group the academy will start at but it will stop at u17s.

We play in the u20s league and have competed well at that level.

Ayr and Forfar and Stirling all run youth teams and Brechin do not. everyone else I'm not sure about.

Stenny IIIRC are now part of the forth valley academy.

What do clubs in this league have re youth set ups? I am aware that Morton and Stenny have pretty comprehensive set ups but what do others do?

Morton have a full suite of youth teams from 11s up plus our reserves development squad. These are all pretty much self funding with the Youth academy being operated through a registered charity. The Development squad also have sponsors etc. Its all fairly recent as in the last 18 months or so, but we hope to start to see so results from it coming into the first team soon.

You should stop spunking yourself over your youth set-up. Nothing's ever going to come of it.

Its pretty safe to say we have the strongest youth set up at this level.

What makes you say that? Ayr's youth.set up has been successful over the past few years, with league titles and cup finals, as well as competing competitively with Rangers and Celtic.

You should stop spunking yourself over your youth set-up. Nothing's ever going to come of it.

Every player in your team (and everyone else's) came through someone's youth academy! Its just that in your case, not many of them learned much!! :lol:

Hamilton have earned around £4m in the last 5/6 years from from their youth academy. Falkirk around £2m. So you are probably right, nothing will come of it.

Hamilton had to invest £2 million into their youth setup to make it work - and recouped this from two players, one in a generation finds. The youth system which the OP fluffs in his sideline act as club tea lady claims that it can yield similar results with not a penny of investment by the club. This is both a lie to the fanbase and ridiculous folly at a club whose owner has entirely lost interest and never really had a credible strategy in the first place.

Meanwhile the 'results' in the first-team have been plain to see - a decision last summer to operate with just 16 senior players, because the youths would apparently offer reliable competition for places. Which worked out well, with the club's worst league campaign in at least a full generation, if not living memory, and relegation to a financial wilderness.

Still, at least clubs can rely on selling on the next James McCarthy every other year: I presume League One is awash with that sort of cash.

NB: It's also worth pointing out that Falkirk teetered on the brink of administration 2/3 years ago and are now spending yet another year in the shadow of much smaller, better-run clubs operating in the Premiership. Next season I very much doubt they'll even live up to their own mediocre standards. And of course, also built up their setup by direct investment while in the SPL, not to mention the disgraceful land deal handed to them by a corrupt and venal local council.

So yes, clearly the model lower league clubs ought to aspire to.

Where is the incentive for smaller teams to develop their own players?

Realistically, at a part time club, even if a player makes it through the youth setup the best he can hope for is a one year contract along with everyone else. Why would a manager risk his own reputation on a youngster who could leave at the end of the season when there's a seasoned pro who could 'do a job'.

Hamilton had to invest £2 million into their youth setup to make it work - and recouped this from two players, one in a generation finds. The youth system which the OP fluffs in his sideline act as club tea lady claims that it can yield similar results with not a penny of investment by the club. This is both a lie to the fanbase and ridiculous folly at a club whose owner has entirely lost interest and never really had a credible strategy in the first place.

Meanwhile the 'results' in the first-team have been plain to see - a decision last summer to operate with just 16 senior players, because the youths would apparently offer reliable competition for places. Which worked out well, with the club's worst league campaign in at least a full generation, if not living memory, and relegation to a financial wilderness.

Still, at least clubs can rely on selling on the next James McCarthy every other year: I presume League One is awash with that sort of cash.

Ouch ?

Out of genuine interest, what was Morton's youth development experience, under Moore's regime ?

I would say that Falkirk have the most successful youth set up.

Not because they've made a lots of money from transfers (although they've probably made a few hundred grand in recent years), but because most of their squad is made up of home grown boys.

United have Soutar (young bombscare) Gauld (sand dancer) Dow (average) and Watson (League One player) so not sure how they count. Armstrong the only credible piece of talent they have brought through who will go to the top.

I would say that Falkirk have the most successful youth set up.

Not because they've made a lots of money from transfers (although they've probably made a few hundred grand in recent years), but because most of their squad is made up of home grown boys.

Most successful setup? Possibly.

The best setup? Probably not.

Teams like Falkirk, Livi and Hearts have been forced into playing youths. Had they not been financially mismanaged I severely doubt the likes of Sibbald, Scougall, etc would be known up and down the country.

The chances are most teams would uncover some gems if they had the confidence (or their hands tied!) to give players 100+ games before they are 20 years old.

Sibbald is an awful player certainly punching above his weight at the minute. Lovely left foot but that's about it.

Kingsley will do very well and so will Alston. Athletic players with no shortage of technical ability.

What makes you say that? Ayr's youth.set up has been successful over the past few years, with league titles and cup finals, as well as competing competitively with Rangers and Celtic.

What league titles and cup finals would they be then ?

The view from the Ayr United diehards on the Honest Page was that the u19s League Cup Final at Somerset v Celtic was one of the best games seen down there last Season.

There is alot of quality at Youth Level and IT IS all about giving youngsters games.

Forrest will be a better player next season because of the experience he gained this year for example.

Players that featured in that final such as McArthur , McCracken , Wardrop , Nisbet etc etc will be better players two seasons from now IF they get experience through games next season.

The " short term " view of trying to build a team each season is where many many Clubs and Managers go wrong , to build a side / squad takes longer than that. Drip feed in 2, 3 , 4 Academy boys each season and 3 , 4 , 5 seasons down the line a Team on the Park you may have !

Archived