Charlie Telfer

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go back and show me where i said he was poverty stricken. :rolleyes:

Duncan Ferguson was one in a long line of United Youngsters who signed long term contracts for a ridiculously low basic wage. United were among the worst offenders when it came to exploiting promising youngsters but it was down to clubs like this that the rules were changed to protect promising young professional footballers.

I didn't claim you said "poverty stricken". Had I done so, I'd have quoted you with the appropriate punctuation.

Allowing a little licence for the use of hyperbole as a rhetorical device however, it's very clearly what you were implying, by referring to the type of car he drove.

I'm not going to defend Dundee United's employment practices from the period, but it was inaccurate to very clearly imply as you did, that Ferguson earned only peanuts when he played for them.

Why would a Rangers fan be deflecting from anything. I have said from the start exactly what i think of Charlie Telfer. Winning one player of the month award is never going to change the fact he is miles behind Lewis McLeod. I have said from the start only a complete looney tune thinks Rangers are a different club.

I am a looney :1eye and you're replacement team is ...........

:lol::lol::lol::lol:THE NEWCUNTO F.C. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Similarly utds statement was a none too subtle dig at rangers signing policy and lack of ability to bring through young players into the first team. It also provoked a reaction despite being obviously true.

Only 1 club has had to do an embarrassing climb down about this, although as you know 'utd tried to show we were a new club and lost' is the myth that will stick with the more moronic section of your support.

I genuinely find it amusing how much my diddy club has been able to irritate the once mighty Glasgow rangers and their offspring in the last few years.

You think the board did not know that this statement would provoke a reaction?

This was another deliberate dig at Thomson and it worked, Thomson got his lawyers involved and is on record admitting that it wound him up.

This is jack irvine you are talking about here, he pulls this kind of stuff all the time.

Surely you do not believe this?

It was a huge f*&kup by whoever wrote the original statement...interestingly I wonder if the liquidators will chase this money given it was Rangers that had the boy for more time than the new The Rangers.

Although I think it's more compliated than that as did Rangers not have to buy Murray park players off a third party, who also were liquidated..what a mess

Of course I believe it, I am all too aware of Jack Irvine and the way he does things, it makes not a blind bit of difference that the statement had to be altered, it is out there in every media channel....job done.

Well if that's what you believe, it's up to you, amazing that fans of your club are constantly and consistantly taken for mugs, me I'd be embarrassed as hell.

I didn't claim you said "poverty stricken". Had I done so, I'd have quoted you with the appropriate punctuation. Allowing a little licence for the use of hyperbole as a rhetorical device however, it's very clearly what you were implying, by referring to the type of car he drove. I'm not going to defend Dundee United's employment practices from the period, but it was inaccurate to very clearly imply as you did, that Ferguson earned only peanuts when he played for them.

I was implying nothing about anybody being poverty stricken. I was stating facts..He did drive a second hand ford fiesta. He was on a very low basic pay. United were singled out by those wishing to change the ruling regarding youngsters contracts as being among the worst offenders.

Similarly utds statement was a none too subtle dig at rangers signing policy and lack of ability to bring through young players into the first team. It also provoked a reaction despite being obviously true.

Only 1 club has had to do an embarrassing climb down about this, although as you know 'utd tried to show we were a new club and lost' is the myth that will stick with the more moronic section of your support.

I genuinely find it amusing how much my diddy club has been able to irritate the once mighty Glasgow rangers and their offspring in the last few years.

How many of the current Scotland team came through the youth ranks at United and how many came through Murray park?

Utd`s statement was a U Turn

Thomson never mentioned any of this 'pick your clubs carefully' gash when they disputed the amount, I do not believe for a second he believes any of it and it was full of glaring hypocrisy given utd`s previous, no it was all about the 2 year nonsense up until this point and now they have lost the man changes tact and is not willing to stick to his original principles....embarrassing climbdown from him.

What glaring hypocrisy given our 'previous'? Are you going back to the Jim McLean years 20 years ago.?

To add to the list of young players utd have developed and sold or who left under freedom of contract in the last few years I'd add bauben,Gomis, Noel hunt, Barry Douglas, kovacevic, Scott Allen.

Hell you could even chuck in Robson and flood who played their best football here and went pn to more money at bigger clubs elsewhere plus Souttar, watson and Dow in our first team squad.

None of these players have been treated badly or blocked from leaving. Scott Allen may disagree but that was a joint issue with him and the manager - not the club.

What glaring hypocrisy given our 'previous'? Are you going back to the Jim McLean years 20 years ago.?

To add to the list of young players utd have developed and sold or who left under freedom of contract in the last few years I'd add bauben,Gomis, Noel hunt, Barry Douglas, kovacevic, Scott Allen.

Hell you could even chuck in Robson and flood who played their best football here and went pn to more money at bigger clubs elsewhere plus Souttar, watson and Dow in our first team squad.

None of these players have been treated badly or blocked from leaving. Scott Allen may disagree but that was a joint issue with him and the manager - not the club.

Any chance of an answer? How many of the current Scotland squad came through the ranks at United and How many came through Rangers? It is a simple enough question and will go along way to backing up your belief that ST was right in saying United is the better place for young players.

How many of the current Scotland team came through the youth ranks at United and how many came through Murray park?

How many? Hutton and mcgregor - 10 years ago? The running costs of Murray park contributed to bankrupting you while our recent youth and signing policy has cleared our debt.

Fully expect Robertson, Gauld, souttar and Armstrong to pick up a lot of Scotland caps. Telfer too with any luck ;)

How many? Hutton and mcgregor - 10 years ago? The running costs of Murray park contributed to bankrupting you while our recent youth and signing policy has cleared our debt.

Fully expect Robertson, Gauld, souttar and Armstrong to pick up a lot of Scotland caps. Telfer too with any luck ;)

I am not asking you what you expect to happen as i don't expect you to be picking Scotland Squads anytime soon. I am asking you specifically how many of the current Scotland squad came through at Rangers and how many at United?

I can give you the answer if you want regarding Rangers .... 6 players in the squad. McGregor,Hutton,Charlie Adam,Chris Burke,Lewis McLeod and Ross McCormack.

From United i counted one..Johnny Russell.

ETA...I don't follow International Football and was using the Scotland Squad listed on Sky Sports

I am not asking you what you expect to happen as i don't expect you to be picking Scotland Squads anytime soon. I am asking you specifically how many of the current Scotland squad came through at Rangers and how many at United?

I can give you the answer if you want regarding Rangers .... 6 players in the squad. McGregor,Hutton,Charlie Adam,Chris Burke,Lewis McLeod and Ross McCormack.

From United i counted one..Johnny Russell.

To be fair McLeod wasn't picked to play. He was simply the youngster chosen on this occasion to be in and around the squad to gain experience.

Also Adam hasn't been picked in a squad since the Poland friendly in March and McCormack since the Nigeria friendly in May.

(McGregor and Hutton weren't in the last squad either but they clearly would've been if they were fit).

Was Burke not brought through at killie rather than murray park? Only McLeod was brought through in the last 5 years which is the time period I am talking about - and the players referred to in the utd statement.

The Falkirk and thistle complaints are re. Managers compo I think. Conway was a tribunal we lost as well - interestingly we only had to pay a 3rd of the telfer fee for an older player with more experience in the same division as CT.

And queens park were paid for spittal, Robertson and Connolly - although I don't think we did for Douglas.

Was Burke not brought through at killie rather than murray park? Only McLeod was brought through in the last 5 years which is the time period I am talking about - and the players referred to in the utd statement.

I'm sure Burke was at Celtic but moved to Rangers when he was 15/16.

Burke was one of the stars of a show made about Murray Park.

Your Chairman made a bold statement telling parents that they should think long and hard about where their kids should go. The facts actually don't back up what he is implying. Rangers youngsters have gone on to be far more successful in recent years and the latest Scotland squad shows this quite clearly.

Of the players you mentioned very few came through the youth ranks at United. Ryan Gauld for example was at Brechin. Robertson at celtic / Queens Park and i cant be bothered checking through the rest.

Wee Burke was at celtic as a youngster but signed for Rangers at a very early age. Dylan McGeoch did the same thing the other way being at Rangers before moving to the other side.

Archived