McCrae's Battalion

Get a life. It was clearly a reply to a guy who said he hoped I died. Or was that one acceptable as it wasn't about the war? Wishing death on people = acceptable. A play on words to do with the war = arrogant w****r.

Muppet.

Ignorant*

You came diving in trolling a thread about The Great War. I have no sympathy for you taking a ribbing. You continuing the troll making puns about the Somme I found even more distasteful than your original trolling attempt.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ignorant*

You came diving in trolling a thread about The Great War. I have no sympathy for you taking a ribbing. You continuing the troll making puns about the Somme I found even more distasteful than your original trolling attempt.

But you don't find wishing death on people distasteful? Got you.

Your posts reek of 'I care more about people who died at wars than you'.

I wasn't trolling anyway. People who died at the Great War are remembered - it should be left at that. If clubs want to hold their own ceremony (which I think is wrong) bash on. Don't start inducting players into the Hall of fame for doing what other millions did.

But you don't find wishing death on people distasteful? Got you.

Your posts reek of 'I care more about people who died at wars than you'.

I wasn't trolling anyway. People who died at the Great War are remembered - it should be left at that. If clubs want to hold their own ceremony (which I think is wrong) bash on. Don't start inducting players into the Hall of fame for doing what other millions did.

Informing people who have an interest in McCraes that there is a movement to have them introduced into the SFA HoF.

You came on trolling about Hearts fans without Hearts even being mentioned in the matter.

I'm not going to argue further. I found your posts pretty distasteful.

So because I hold a contrary opinion that makes it trolling? Or that means I'm not allowed to share these views. Think you're missing the point in a forum.

Again, you've tactically ignored my question. You don't find wishing death on people distasteful but you find what I've said distasteful?

So because I hold a contrary opinion that makes it trolling? Or that means I'm not allowed to share these views. Think you're missing the point in a forum.

I am by no measure a Jambo but from when you first said, "Hearts fans don't half drag the arse out of this" you have made a right berkeley of yourself.

The initial post - which was said slightly in jest - was more in relation to this. That hasn't been the crux of the debate though.

Basically because this thread isn't a debate. It's a member of the forum promoting a book that will interest a lot of clubs in the championship right now. Alongside the information provided I provided info on a push for the battalion to be introduced to the hall of fame.

You turned it into a petty argument about Hearts fans over a picture that has nothing to do with this thread.

Again, you've tactically ignored my question. You don't find wishing death on people distasteful but you find what I've said distasteful?

Trolling is pretty much all you do on this forum, so it's a fair assumption that's what you were up to on this thread.

To answer your question, from a personal point of view, wishing death on people is distasteful. However, if you're the target, not so much.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been chatting on forums to fans of Leyton Orient. Orient fans are hugely impressed with Hearts and Raith Rovers commemorative tops and one has bought the Raith one. I think they feel that their club should have gone down this road too! I visited the Contalmaison memorial with a min-coach of Queens fans - and a Hearts fan. My big Jambo chum laid a wreath from his supporters club and was very emotional as he read the 'Ode to Remembrance'. I wore my Queens top and we too laid a wreath to add to the collection / mound that there is now round the cairn. For those interested in events 100 years ago 'on this day' try the Western Front Witness website. There is also a daily update on facebook. Todays story is about Filthy British troops taking a much needed bath in the pool of Baron de Rothschild's mansion near Paris - and the state in which they left the pool! Yesterday it was about German troops who had marched up to 400 miles a month and had not been fed for 3 days. Great tales!

• 2 weeks later...

This is very much football and politics mixed together in an unsavoury manner. The First World War was wholly unsavoury with no good guys to speak of apart from the millions of ordinary people who gave their lives. Businesses, football teams, forum people looking to point score over it are just the most ignorant people going. Let it go, it happened, move on.

This is very much football and politics mixed together in an unsavoury manner. The First World War was wholly unsavoury with no good guys to speak of apart from the millions of ordinary people who gave their lives. Businesses, football teams, forum people looking to point score over it are just the most ignorant people going. Let it go, it happened, move on.

You're a cold hearted c**t. Who is trying to "point score" like

• 1 month later...

This was re-posted on Kickback earlier today, a good night for a great cause. Plenty tickets left:

McCrae’s Battalion Centenary 1914-2014

One hundred years to the night...

Supporting Help for Heroes and Poppy Scotland

Usher Hall, Edinburgh

Friday 28 November 2014

‘Somewhere in France – with love from the trenches’

On Friday 27 November 1914 a grand public meeting was held in the Usher Hall to inaugurate Lieutenant Colonel Sir George McCrae’s new Active Service battalion of the Royal Scots. The evening remains one of the most memorable and emotional moments in Edinburgh’s long history. By midnight three hundred volunteers had stepped forward – among them thirteen players from Heart of Midlothian Football Club and fellow professionals from Raith Rovers, Falkirk, Hibernian, Dunfermline and East Fife. Sportsmen and supporters from countless other fields joined them and within five days the roll was full. Scotland’s sporting battalion went on to win undying fame on the killing fields of the Western Front, carrying Edinburgh’s name with pride and distinction, but at a terrible cost. More than a thousand officers and other ranks perished in the war. Many of them – including most of the Hearts players – have no known grave.

On Friday 28 November 2014 Edinburgh will remember McCrae’s Battalion with an evening of music, drama, song and previously unseen contemporary images from the McCrae's Battalion Collection. The script and songs are written by Jack Alexander and tell the poignant story of local footballer Harry Smith and his young wife Annie. Distinguished actor Ken Stott will act as narrator.

All profits will be divided equally between the military charities, Help for Heroes and Poppy Scotland. In effect, the lads of 1914 will be helping their counterparts in today’s armed forces cope with the injuries sustained on active service in Afghanistan and other theatres. The same dreadful injuries as those sustained on the Western Front – and at the same age. The life of a soldier has not changed much these past hundred years. McCrae’s legacy lies not in the history books, but in a living and breathing form of Remembrance with which everyone can engage.

We hope you’ll come along for a very special evening ... one hundred years to the night.

Doors open 19.00
Audience seated for 19.30
Tickets available online and in person from the Usher Hall

Full price adult £19.14
Concession £15.00
Child £10.00
Adult and Child combination ticket £25.00

Tickets: http://www.usherhall... battalion/info

Archived