McCrae's Battalion

I'm just back from a battlefields trip in France and Belgium. We visited this and got some information from the tourguide. Hearts were top of the league at the time they all signed up and they were the only team in Scotland where every player from the first team signed up to join. Hearts board members go to France quite regularly to visit this memorial.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watch "The Supreme Sacrifice" on youtube if you haven't already.

Good luck with the book!

My book of stories is called 'Strange Times 1914' and, as of 5 minutes ago, it can be downloaded from Amazon for the price of a beer. I hope any of you who buy it don't subsequently wish that you'd invested instead in a pint of Belhaven! Thanks for showing interest.

There is something fitting about the fact that the teams that contributed players to McCrae's battalion (16th Royal Scots) in the Great War are in the same division; Hearts, Hibs, Raith Rovers, and Falkirk. I reckon only is Dunfermline is missing. I am working on an e-book of 80 strange but true stories from 1914 and want to include the tale of McCrae's force. I plan to include an image of the new Raith Rovers away strip and an image of a Hearts / McCrae's banner displayed at Easter Road. I recently visited the memorial at Contalmaison on the Somme and was impressed by the wreaths displayed there featuring Raith Rovers and Hibs club crests. Can any of you tell me who placed them there and why? Do any of the fans of the clubs associated with McCrae have a story to tell?

Jeremy Paxman has a book about the Great War, which is available in Waterstones. I have yet to read it, but given that this story featured on Newsnight recently, their tale may get a mention.

You might also want to contact the Hibernian Historical Trust, because although Hearts understandably get the bulk of the media attention for this story, Hibs were also involved. Their website is:

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk

The way certain Jambos go on, I would imagine that the Hearts website would contain information that would interest you.

You might also want to contact the Hibernian Historical Trust, because although Hearts understandably get the bulk of the media attention for this story, Hibs were also involved. Their website is:

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk

As a Jambo I know we make a big play on commemorating those from our ranks that laid down their lives, but also appreciate that we were not alone and there were many young men from Hibs, Raith, Falkirk and other sporting clubs across the country who made the ultimate sacrifice. When I pay my respects each year, it is for all of those young men who had their lives needlessly cut short in a futile war. There are many clubs with a story to tell and hopefully all will be brought out in the final publication, which I will be very interested in.

• 1 month later...

On this subject there's a thread on the go on JKB to get the players of the battalion inducted into the SFA hall of fame for 2014.

People seem to be putting "McCraes Battalion" as the player they are voting for but unsure whether they'll be counted like that.

Just a heads up incase anyone wanted to vote for them.

On this subject there's a thread on the go on JKB to get the players of the battalion inducted into the SFA hall of fame for 2014.

People seem to be putting "McCraes Battalion" as the player they are voting for but unsure whether they'll be counted like that.

Just a heads up incase anyone wanted to vote for them.

If the Hall of Fame was to make do a gesture like this, then surely it would be more appropriate if it was for "Scotland's Fallen Footballers" or something like that?

Afterall - only a portion of McCrae's Battalion were footballers, and many footballers lost their lives in other battalions, regiments and services.

If the Hall of Fame was to make do a gesture like this, then surely it would be more appropriate if it was for "Scotland's Fallen Footballers" or something like that?

Afterall - only a portion of McCrae's Battalion were footballers, and many footballers lost their lives in other battalions, regiments and services.

From a quick spy at Kickback, most are of the same opinion as yourself - nobody is trying to make it a Hearts "thing" (well, I'm sure a couple of mouthbreathing cretins are, it is Kickback after all).

I'd happily vote for either idea TBH.

The McCraes battalion would IMO be for the fans who followed the footballers and the rest of the battalion as well as the players. It was also kickstarted by footballers at the behest of Sir George McCrae. It was the most significant battalion for football at a time when the game was under massive pressure.

Footballers who joined other Battalions would also have struggled to sign up for those battalions in some cases if it wasn't for the example set by the men who signed up for McCraes and the club officials that tore up their contracts to allow it. Footballs defence beforehand had been that players and clubs were contractually obliged to serve eachother. McCraes blew that out of the water.

It'd be great to see all the scottish footballers honoured.

In my opinion people who fought in wars are already remembered in their own way. Footballers should be no different or any more special than, say, butchers who went to fight.

Spectacularly missing the point of the Scottish Football Association Hall of Fame.

They'd be honoured for their services to the game as well as their country.

There's a difference between a troll and an ignorant w****r by the way. If you have nothing to add other than bollocks like this why bother posting?

Get a life. It was clearly a reply to a guy who said he hoped I died. Or was that one acceptable as it wasn't about the war? Wishing death on people = acceptable. A play on words to do with the war = arrogant w****r.

Muppet.

Archived