Heart of Midlothian 2014-

11 hours ago, Darren said:

As far as I can tell, the Norwegian league doesn't have a sponsor. Their TV deal is worth £5m a year more than Scotland's - but for 240 live matches per season.

So it would appear we're getting ripped off a lot more than you think.

Sorry, I actually meant the TV deal.  Cant remember the exact sums but their clubs have a lot more non-ticket money coming through central deals.

We were talking to some of their guys in the pub there and they couldnt quite believe how much we paid for football.

To put it in context, Molde has a population of less than 30000, doesnt draw amazing crowds, but a lot more than if they charged what we do, and it seemed to me there were a lot of family groups.

11 hours ago, Darren said:

As far as I can tell, the Norwegian league doesn't have a sponsor. Their TV deal is worth £5m a year more than Scotland's - but for 240 live matches per season.

So it would appear we're getting ripped off a lot more than you think.

That's a trade off though, because they play their games all over the weekend as a result.

I don't think many Scottish fans would take an extra £5m to have kick off times messed around with.

55 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

That's a trade off though, because they play their games all over the weekend as a result.

I don't think many Scottish fans would take an extra £5m to have kick off times messed around with.

No......although Belgium gets something like 2 x the Scottish deal from TV for their domestic game - and they have obviously invested it sensibly.

If we are to do anything about pricing it would have to be a concerted effort between fans of all clubs.  Right now fans are too tit for tat, "well it's shite but you charged us £xx".

As a collective we are too easily pushed around, prices continue to go up year on year and while people moan the crowds are never that significantly different.

4 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

If you check the politics forum, Pet's a Tory. I understand why he's spitting blood about someone who may be not be a white Anglo Saxon.

And if you read it properly Jamie - as opposed to dipping in and out with your trademark one line wise-cracks - you'll see that you are wrong.

btw  got any quote at all where I have said anything remotely xenophobic? Nah. Didn't think so

Edited by Pet Jeden

11 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Why is it you’re convinced he isn’t Spanish, out of interest?

1. The high % of his supposedly bad English "translation mistakes"  that would be bad Spanish too. If you were struggling to write in a foreign language you think you would suddenly "forget" to use capitals for proper names and sentence starts? No chance

2. His encyclopedic knowledge of Dumbarton, Arbroath, Stirling Albion etc.

3. The high % of mistakes that just happen to have (gratuitous) comic value.

You've been played.

2 hours ago, Green Day said:

Sorry, I actually meant the TV deal.  Cant remember the exact sums but their clubs have a lot more non-ticket money coming through central deals.

We were talking to some of their guys in the pub there and they couldnt quite believe how much we paid for football.

To put it in context, Molde has a population of less than 30000, doesnt draw amazing crowds, but a lot more than if they charged what we do, and it seemed to me there were a lot of family groups.

There's no doubt ticket prices in Scotland are a disgrace - Hearts' are abysmal, the cheapest adult ticket to watch us play Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibs or Rangers is £32 - and that we could learn a lot from other similar-sized leagues around Europe.

Unfortunately I can't see anything changing due to the reasons outlined by Tony Wonder.

If only our Spanish friend was Belgian and able to give us some insight on how things operate there.

Why is it you’re convinced he isn’t Spanish, out of interest?
I'm not convinced he's Spanish, I'm not convinced he isn't Spanish, it's the fact somebody is losing there marbles over someone's apparently bad english even when he agrees with what's being said.

1. The high % of his supposedly bad English "translation mistakes"  that would be bad Spanish too. If you were struggling to write in a foreign language you think you would suddenly "forget" to use capitals for proper names and sentence starts? No chance
2. His encyclopedic knowledge of Dumbarton, Arbroath, Stirling Albion etc.
3. The high % of mistakes that just happen to have (gratuitous) comic value.
You've been played.

I’ve no idea if the boy is Spanish or not, it really doesn’t bother me either tbh. Usually makes fine enough points anyway.
Is everything okay with you though? This isn’t a wind up post or anything of the sort but it seems to have really bothered you. Think about it, if someone is pretending to be Spanish to post on an anonymous forum, so what? Stick him on ignore would be my advice.

1 hour ago, Pet Jeden said:

Plenty of people don't bother capitalizing when writing in their native tongue. It's a 'not used to writing on a keyboard -> writing on a keyboard' thing, not a 'native language -> foreign language' thing, although the proportion of people going full ee cummings online has decreased over time, as younger folks have now grown up with the internet (and the younger folks less likely to bother with a shift key have their automatic predictive phone keyboards capitalising stuff for them).

Now the thing is, his grammatical mistakes are consistent over his post history. He frequently uses the infinitive when he should be using some other tense - " It is unlikely every year a youth pass the first team" or "we play for nothing, with a terrify lack of actitude". Tenses are tricky and foreign language speakers get them wrong, and tend to get them consistently wrong in a way that makes more sense in their language.

Missing out pronouns is common among Spanish speakers, as in his "I hope dont loose the loan players" - because Spanish doesn't use pronouns as much as English.

Also I noticed the phrase 'is absolutely other' in place of 'is absolutely different'. Not the kind of mistake a hoaxer would make, but "es absolutamente oro" is apparently a usable Spanish idiom, if Google is to be believed.

I'd guess from the style of his grammatical mistakes it's highly likely this guy is a real Spanish speaker.

Edited by Aim Here

7 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Plenty of people don't bother capitalizing when writing in their native tongue. It's a 'not used to writing on a keyboard -> writing on a keyboard' thing, not a 'native language -> foreign language' thing, although the proportion of people going full ee cummings online has decreased over time, as younger folks have now grown up with the internet (and the younger folks less likely to bother with a shift key have their automatic predictive phone keyboards capitalising stuff for them).

Now the thing is, his grammatical mistakes are consistent over his post history. He frequently uses the infinitive when he should be using some other tense - " It is unlikely every year a youth pass the first team" or "we play for nothing, with a terrify lack of actitude". Tenses are tricky and foreign language speakers get them wrong, and tend to get them consistently wrong in a way that makes more sense in their language.

Missing out pronouns is common among Spanish speakers, as in his "I hope dont loose the loan players" - because Spanish doesn't use pronouns as much as English.

Also I noticed the phrase 'is absolutely other' in place of 'is absolutely different'. Not the kind of mistake a hoaxer would make, but "es absolutamente oro" is apparently a usable Spanish idiom, if Google is to be believed.

I'd guess from the style of his grammatical mistakes it's highly likely this guy is a real Spanish speaker.

Well argued. You've shifted me from 5% doubt to 10% doubt. But still, nah.

McAimHere?

In  your own time, Ann. Can't be too careful - can't go blowing £200,000 on compo for Stendel, can we? After all, it's not as if we have been blowing £500,000 to £750,000 on contracts for the likes of Martin, Sammon, Wighton, Damour, Vancek...... And who cares about getting a measly1 point from games against Killie, Livi and Well. It's not as if every place higher in the SPFL is worth an extra £70-80K, is it?

Oh, wait a minute...

Edited by Pet Jeden