Heart of Midlothian 2014-

If what Whelan's saying about not being ignored is true then, let's be honest, together with the Berra stuff, it's a bit odd. It's also not the kind of press attention we need at the moment while we're trying to attract players.

I'm not having the rest of what he's saying about being unfairly targeted, though. He trained part-time, ducked media duties and put in half-arsed performances after his first few games. Stendel could obviously tell very quickly that he was at it.

At least we haven't paid him off.

1 hour ago, HibsFan said:

Players queuing up to stick the boot into Herr Stendel. 336597778_JackLaugh.png.8c750a18e42b5705349ab8a2cb27ca60.png

All the signs of a club in crisis.

I believe over his last 2 managerial jobs, Stendel is now 15 games without a win.

Not saying I agree with how he’s treated 2 experienced players, but with an appalling record like that I can see why he is trying this approach. He’ll be desperate to get a win soon.

Did hope Berra might have been moved/offered a role behind the scenes, but let’s not kid ourselves on that what is being done now by Stendel has been needed for a while.

With nothing being done, we were 100 % fucked, so at least the man is trying to change things. Drastic times need shit doing that isn’t always popular.

2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Simple question from a Saints fan

At 137k average pay per annum per player 3 times Saints and Accies - Why are you so crap ?

Because we're not allowed to play St. Mirren every week.

Simple answer - read this thread.

2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Simple question from a Saints fan

At 137k average pay per annum per player 3 times Saints and Accies - Why are you so crap ?

Because someone on more than £137k per annum got to treat us like his own play thing for the last tribus annum.

7 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Because someone on more than £137k per annum got to treat us like his own play thing for the last tribus annum.

Thank you, finally a grown up answer-

Considering as your are about to be Fans Owned, you have just paid 22m for a stand, and you have no contingency plan for relegation, I would suggest that figure is frightening...

10 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

Because we're not allowed to play St. Mirren every week.

Simple answer - read this thread.

That's true, you would have 9 points without playing us...……….. does that make it all ok for you now ?  28 points since Jan 1st 2019 ………. hmmmm :lol:…. and your a BIG club 

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Correct,his treatment of Vanacek whom he signed was shocking.

Hopefully the next announcement is that Mulraney is cleaning the bogs with his own toothbrush.

ftfy m9

If I was a Hearts fan I'd be very very worried. Managers who come in and alienate the senior players rarely do well. 

When Jack Ross changed our squad around three years ago, he let ten players go, brought ten in, changed the captain by installing one of the new players as captain, but his man management was such that nobody ran to the papers moaning, indeed he galvanized the club and got everyone pulling in the same direction.

Looks like Hearts went for the wrong man. Again.

7 minutes ago, Hendo said:

If I was a Hearts fan I'd be very very worried. Managers who come in and alienate the senior players rarely do well. 

When Jack Ross changed our squad around three years ago, he let ten players go, brought ten in, changed the captain by installing one of the new players as captain, but his man management was such that nobody ran to the papers moaning, indeed he galvanized the club and got everyone pulling in the same direction.

Looks like Hearts went for the wrong man. Again.

I get the point you're making, but we never alienated Whelan, we got rid of him.  He can moan all he wants, it doesn't affect the remaining group, I'd suggest there's a part of that at play with Berra going to the reserves as well.  

Equally, we've been far too cosy and far too accommodating for our players for too long.  It's what has led to us having a bloated squad and a general malaise.  Leaving everyone to continue in that manner would be disastrous for Stendel, he needs to light a fire and work with players who buy into it.  If they don't, they'll be gone.  He'll live or die by his choices, but letting it continue as is would end him and relegate us.

One of these three is pretty much inevitable. Which, in your opinion, is going to happen?

1. Some team is willing to pay the hefty going rate for a 33-year old SPFL Premiership captain, for someone who obviously can't cut it anymore
  2. Berra is willing to take a pay cut
  3. Hearts are going to somehow subsidize Berra's exit, one way or another, either paying him off or paying his new team somehow (loan deal where they pay a portion of his wages, or whatever)
Without knowing the details of Berra's contract that seems to be about right but a gross simplification.

"Option three" seems to be the most obvious outcome.

but that means the real question is how much of the hit Hearts would still have to take so it's actually a whole array of options.

Aside from that

A few points that haven't been touched on yet

Firstly: he signed a one year extension last January.  It's reasonable to assume* that whatever annual rate his agent got for 2020/21 (The season that he turns 36) would be less than the rate he negotiated in 2017 for a 32 year old fresh from the English Championship. This would mean that the cost of writing off that last season will be proportionately less.

Secondly: He's already played 25 games this season.  If we end up paying him in full for four seasons we'll have got an average of 26 games per season over those four.   Which isn't a great return but far from the worst average for a Hearts player in recent years.

Thirdly: Getting older and your body not doing what it used to be able to do is shit for the rest of us. Having to face up to that fact in public when it's been your profession since you were a teenager must be really shite.

* Were this assumption to be wrong then there would be some serious questions to be asked

Hearts were probably right to move on high earners like Whelan and Berra but they seem like an absolute clown car outfit at the moment. I did mention months ago that I'd heard from someone at the club that the atmosphere was toxic and I'm guessing things haven't improved much.

That being said, if Stendel starts picking up wins then the fans won't care about who he pisses off.