Heart of Midlothian 2014-

5 hours ago, Empty It said:

Yet with better teams in the championship and a less than average squad it took us until March to get a loss.

The season before, Hearts had a streamlined squad with a team of departures after admin and then only Danny Wilson in (after that debacle re his registration), quite a few promising youngsters had their chance that season and looked promising.

Levein and Neilson come in on 12th May after a long time plotting for the end of the season and Hearts clearly had their house in order with quite a bit of early business that had then 7 or 8 additions before pre-season started more than a month later. Neilson is a very good manager at this level and moulded a very good squad together which could consistently dominate games and had goals in them - similar to his changes at United.

A big thing that fucks over relegated teams more than anything else is when they come down with the management situation up in their air and then have a squad of players on the books who consist of has-beens who are draining top 6 wages and little prep in place for how they are going to move them on (or indeed uncertainty about some important players staying) and recruit. Hearts should (and probably will) win the league very comfortably with their respective size and October is long enough away but I think there's real potential for this to go quite badly. The smaller season as well could be a particular disadvantage, not as much time to claw back a deficit after a bad start.

6 hours ago, harry94 said:

The season before, Hearts had a streamlined squad with a team of departures after admin and then only Danny Wilson in (after that debacle re his registration), quite a few promising youngsters had their chance that season and looked promising.

Levein and Neilson come in on 12th May after a long time plotting for the end of the season and Hearts clearly had their house in order with quite a bit of early business that had then 7 or 8 additions before pre-season started more than a month later. Neilson is a very good manager at this level and moulded a very good squad together which could consistently dominate games and had goals in them - similar to his changes at United.

A big thing that fucks over relegated teams more than anything else is when they come down with the management situation up in their air and then have a squad of players on the books who consist of has-beens who are draining top 6 wages and little prep in place for how they are going to move them on (or indeed uncertainty about some important players staying) and recruit. Hearts should (and probably will) win the league very comfortably with their respective size and October is long enough away but I think there's real potential for this to go quite badly. The smaller season as well could be a particular disadvantage, not as much time to claw back a deficit after a bad start.

Unfortunately a lot of this is true. There's clearly been a terrible atmosphere around the squad for ages that's unlikely to be sorted quickly. I can see us starting slowly which could be lethal in a shortened season.

The good thing (as shite as it is) about starting in October is that it gives us some time to make the right appointment (lol) and start changing the atmosphere. Regardless of how the court case goes, Budge leaving needs to be part of that change.

As far as the squad goes, I'm in the odd position of not being massively fussed about the prospect of anyone leaving and also thinking that we don't need to do a huge amount of business. The manager (and the sporting director) are far more important appointments.

14 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Get John Robertson back in and add several low cost decent signings like Inverness do. Will skoosh the league. 

Having just signed a new contract, Robbo is out of your reach.

😳

.......unless of course he does a Ray McKinnon..............

Didn't see this coming at all. Sad to see Stendel leave as I was really hoping he was going to be given a chance to bring in more of his own players and get rid of the wasters we have in the squad, maybe he didn't want to stay anyway.

Considering we want to bounce straight back up it's hard to argue with this since he's proven to be successful in the championship and work with younger players which is what I imagine we'll be doing this season. It's also hard to forget how terrible his football was once we were back in the Premiership and his inability to win the big matches. I'm hoping much of the was down to Levein's influence once we were in the Premiership and given another chance he'll not make the same mistakes (if we go straight back up). 

Nice to see confidence in our budgets regardless of the legal outcome if we're able to be dishing out compensation.