Heart of Midlothian 2014-

4 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

What I can't understand is that Levein and McPhee are still there, drawing a wage. According to the Evening News they agreed to pay cuts in March, which implies they weren't furloughed. Why not?  What an extraordinary waste of money if that's the case.

Levein has his name on that new stand plaque they picked up from Timpsons the key makers so he's in for the long haul like Sir Alex Ferguson.   Likely in recognition of his career honours including, but limited to, the Tennents Sixes.

What I can't understand is that Levein and McPhee are still there, drawing a wage. According to the Evening News they agreed to pay cuts in March, which implies they weren't furloughed. Why not?  What an extraordinary waste of money if that's the case.

If you’re managing or playing regularly for a medium sized top flight Scottish club then you’re probably making significantly over £40k pa. before tax so the furlough isn’t going to cover anywhere near 80% which is why these things needed to be agreed on an individual basis

Hamilton could rely on the government to pick up most of their wage bill, on the other hand, for Celtic £2,500 per month per player subsidy is hardly worth applying for.

41 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If you’re managing or playing regularly for a medium sized top flight Scottish club then you’re probably making significantly over £40k pa. before tax so the furlough isn’t going to cover anywhere near 80% which is why these things needed to be agreed on an individual basis

So what, though? Surely Levein and McPhee aren't doing anything? They'd be ripe for redundancy in this environment, or at least furloughing so they're off the wage bill.  There's nothing to be agreed. Why Hearts are asking players to take wage cuts while still paying those two doesn't make any sense to me.

3 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

So what, though? Surely Levein and McPhee aren't doing anything? They'd be ripe for redundancy in this environment, or at least furloughing so they're off the wage bill.  There's nothing to be agreed. Why Hearts are asking players to take wage cuts while still paying those two doesn't make any sense to me.

Levein and MacPhee were under contract till the end of this month.

So not paying Levein and MacPhee  for this or the last few months would be breach of contract.

I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand about this.

And the idea of just tearing up contracts arbitrarily seems a bit radical given the moral outrage that raged on this thread when Ann Budge first proposed wage cuts and only abated when everybody else started doing it as well.

There's a valid, though not overwhelming, argument that Hearts should have bitten the bullet and paid the last 6 months of their contracts in December just to get them out of the place.

17 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Levein and MacPhee were under contract till the end of this month.

So not paying Levein and MacPhee  for this or the last few months would be breach of contract.

I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand about this.

Just find it unusual because my own club managed to furlough almost all its contracted staff.  So did St Mirren, and Kilmarnock, and Motherwell.  And Hearts were pretty quick to threaten to cancel players' contracts. Yet those two are still hanging around Tynecastle, doing whatever they do.

I admit I don't know the detail, and Hearts can waste money on whatever they want. Just struck me as odd.

1 minute ago, Mr Heliums said:

Just find it unusual because my own club managed to furlough almost all its contracted staff.  So did St Mirren, and Kilmarnock, and Motherwell.  And Hearts were pretty quick to threaten to cancel players' contracts. Yet those two are still hanging around Tynecastle, doing whatever they do.

I admit I don't know the detail, and Hearts can waste money on whatever they want. Just struck me as odd.

It may well be that they are furloughed and nobody has bothered to ask. It wouldn't make a great deal of difference anyway.

For relatively small, low turnover, clubs like St Mirren, Kilmarnock and Motherwell the furlough makes a far bigger difference as explained earlier.

The standard players contract in place across the league allowed for the the contract to be suspended if football was suspended.

These two weren't players and secondly suspending their contract would presumably mean that they'd be hanging around even longer. 

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

And the idea of just tearing up contracts arbitrarily seems a bit radical given the moral outrage that raged on this thread when Ann Budge first proposed wage cuts and only abated when everybody else started doing it as well.

Care to highlight who else has come out and publicly demanded players accept wage cuts or theyll be responsible for people losing their jobs? 

15 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It may well be that they are furloughed and nobody has bothered to ask. It wouldn't make a great deal of difference anyway.

For relatively small, low turnover, clubs like St Mirren, Kilmarnock and Motherwell the furlough makes a far bigger difference as explained earlier.

The standard players contract in place across the league allowed for the the contract to be suspended if football was suspended.

These two weren't players and secondly suspending their contract would presumably mean that they'd be hanging around even longer. 

Heart too big to furlough 😆 Too wee to survive 

Why is going down such a big deal for Hearts anyway?

Most likely you'll have a pretty enjoyable season as you comfortably win the league, playing teams you don't usually play and visiting grounds many fans may not have been to in years, not to mention the different towns and pubs you'll experience, all whilst most likely winning most weeks and probably scoring a good few goals. 

You'll get a nice wee title party in front of a big crowd as well.

A wee break from the same old monotony before resuming it is hardly the worse thing in the world? You'll barely bother about it in a few years and just see it as a blip.

47 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Why is going down such a big deal for Hearts anyway?

Most likely you'll have a pretty enjoyable season as you comfortably win the league, playing teams you don't usually play and visiting grounds many fans may not have been to in years, not to mention the different towns and pubs you'll experience, all whilst most likely winning most weeks and probably scoring a good few goals. 

You'll get a nice wee title party in front of a big crowd as well.

A wee break from the same old monotony before resuming it is hardly the worse thing in the world? You'll barely bother about it in a few years and just see it as a blip.

They define themselves by beating Hibs and being the 'big' team - see Levein and his natural order pish.  Can't really be the big team in a lower league but.  

Edited by TonyFerrino

Just now, East Calder Lion said:

Good to see fans of many different clubs are on the Sunday Mail's Twitter feed condemning this disgraceful back page image.

Indeed. 2 guys making out in public during a pandemic. Disgraceful stuff. Ljsl9nQ.png