Heart of Midlothian 2014-

On 18/03/2020 at 20:19, Pet Jeden said:

Oh, they will have a choice. There may be moral pressure to to help the club, but legally they can sit tight and ask for their contracts to be honoured. However, along with big chunks of the economy, there will be no significant income for football clubs for the next 4-5 months. Almost every Scottish club is going to need to do similar. At this stage of the season, I'll be surprised if any club can survive to August+ without season ticket sales or major shareholder input or huge bank overdrafts or brutal cuts. Hearts may be slightly ahead of the pack thanks to an inflated squad and hospitality being in-house, but this  may just be Budge being first to bite the bullet. 

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Usually there's a credit line backed by imminent season ticket sales available. They can't sell season tickets for an unknowable arrangement. 

We are all in this boat to some extent. 

When did clubs start selling season tickets so far in advance?

In England teams start advertising in January which indicates to me they are using next seasons ticket money to finance the current season.

Hearts issue may be if they were about to put tickets on sale this has now happened at a time when people just wont commit.  If it had started in May i guess the early bird teams would have had some cash and the rest of us would be hit.

2 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

So Stendal is working for free during the shutdown as support for Budgies wage cuts

Fair F***s to the guy ......

Amazing, if true.

You can never really know what's going on for sure, but Stendel always seems to be grafting.

I could be wrong, of course, but I'll say it again - for the state we're in, I blame snowflake players, and those that sanctioned their signings.

I already liked Stendel, but, if he's currently grafting for no pay, then he's gone up my estimations, and he's deserved better from those around him. 

10 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Suspended or abandoned? Could it be that clubs losing players in the summer can be guaranteed them until the season is 'over' under this agreement?

As far as I know, which isn't much I admit, this could get tricky as it's both contract law and employment law. I don't know if players are contractors or employees, and again that gets a bit mucky depending on how long they've been doing the job. I expect that it's mostly the former, i.e. they are freelancers. If a freelancer's contract is suspended then they don't get paid and that's that. 

Would imagine non-playing staff will be employees with different rights and conditions. 

As a freelancer I've never had a contract suspended, so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but if I'm contracted to do a job I get paid as long as I fulfil the conditions ... I suspect that players may be goosed by this clause, although they may have insurance.

I suspect we're entering a different market for players. The clubs with the deepest cash reserves will be in a stronger position to hoover up talent and we'll almost certainly see wage depression. As a player I'd have to be pretty convinced that any club I was signing for was going to last the distance financially. If the club goes bust I'd imagine the administrators wouldn't be prioritising freelancer's fees. 

edit: I mean clubs in the most sustainable position, not necessarily the biggest cash reserves, different things. Also thinking that fixed-term contracts confer the same rights as employees, and player contracts may be these rather than freelance. In which case I don't think that you can simply suspend a contract of employment (or at least you can't suspend pay and conditions). 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

7 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Amazing, if true.

You can never really know what's going on for sure, but Stendel always seems to be grafting.

I could be wrong, of course, but I'll say it again - for the state we're in, I blame snowflake players, and those that sanctioned their signings.

I already liked Stendel, but, if he's currently grafting for no pay, then he's gone up my estimations, and he's deserved better from those around him. 

He's only been employed with you for just over three months and has already had two holidays back in Germany.

Currently, like all other clubs, it is shut. He'll be at home bored like most of us.

34 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

As far as I know, which isn't much I admit, this could get tricky as it's both contract law and employment law. I don't know if players are contractors or employees, and again that gets a bit mucky depending on how long they've been doing the job. I expect that it's mostly the former, i.e. they are freelancers. If a freelancer's contract is suspended then they don't get paid and that's that. 

Would imagine non-playing staff will be employees with different rights and conditions. 

As a freelancer I've never had a contract suspended, so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but if I'm contracted to do a job I get paid as long as I fulfil the conditions ... I suspect that players may be goosed by this clause, although they may have insurance.

I suspect we're entering a different market for players. The clubs with the deepest cash reserves will be in a stronger position to hoover up talent and we'll almost certainly see wage depression. As a player I'd have to be pretty convinced that any club I was signing for was going to last the distance financially. If the club goes bust I'd imagine the administrators wouldn't be prioritising freelancer's fees. 

edit: I mean clubs in the most sustainable position, not necessarily the biggest cash reserves, different things. Also thinking that fixed-term contracts confer the same rights as employees, and player contracts may be these rather than freelance. In which case I don't think that you can simply suspend a contract of employment (or at least you can't suspend pay and conditions). 

Football players are almost certainly Employees for employment law and tax purposes. 

Most probably haven't been with their employees long enough to have rights to redundancy pay. 

22 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Football players are almost certainly Employees for employment law and tax purposes. 

Most probably haven't been with their employees long enough to have rights to redundancy pay. 

Was that not established in 2012?

12 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

So in summary

* Fans are to blame here

* Club should have factored in possibility of global pandemic to make it to end of season 

* Club should have budgeted for relegation despite having 3rd/4th highest turnover "bad model"

* All clubs should keep huge reserve of funds in the bank instead of investing money in infrastructure 

You're utterly fucking dense if you believe that's what I'm saying.

I'm saying professional football clubs should have enough money to get through the season financially, even if they lose a couple of home games.

I'm also saying Hearts shouldn't be struggling as theyve got recent history of financial problems and get huge amounts of regular income from the fans.

Obviously clubs wont have budgeted for this, but nor should Hearts, and their FOH donations and amount of season ticket holders, be in the media trying to publicly shame employees into taking 50% pay cuts after a few weeks of no football.

Edited by RandomGuy.

12 hours ago, coprolite said:

You missed 

*should have given Celtic 3 stands

Doing that for the OF games this season could save jobs at McDiarmid. 

Aberdeen on the other hand are shutting parts of their stadium to save money. I'm sure you're not naive enough to believe it's to "improve the atmosphere and create demand", but I feel like you might be.

1 hour ago, Lofarl said:

Grafting.  He’s a football manager with no football to train for.  He’s hardly slugging a pick against a coal face.

Hearts fans are going full Celtic over this.

Everything the club does is to be defended, and everything done by their staff is to be lauded as bravery.

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Doing that for the OF games this season could save jobs at McDiarmid. 

Aberdeen on the other hand are shutting parts of their stadium to save money. I'm sure you're not naive enough to believe it's to "improve the atmosphere and create demand", but I feel like you might be.

Aberdonians saving money? 

Seems unlikely 

Aaron Hickey isn’t affected by a 50 per cent pay cut demand because his salary is already very low...

Weegie rag

Surprised the headline wasn't along the lines of:

"Glasgow giants ready to battle it out in race to save top scottish talent from below living wage nightmare in Gorgie slums"

or something...🤮

Papers claiming Dikamona is walking away and refusing the pay cut.  Dikamona responds by saying he's going to France to be with his family because his contract is up in May, he's taken a 100% pay cut and happy to come back if we want him when it's over.

Papers are scum, trying to sensationalise everything and make it look like he's spitting the dummy when the guy is trying to do everything he can for the club.

14 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Suspended or abandoned? Could it be that clubs losing players in the summer can be guaranteed them until the season is 'over' under this agreement?

I'd reckon the answer is no, but I've been wrong before

Presumably one of the questions that the clubs, players and the SFA need a firm answer to from someone more authoritative than me

You can't unilaterally extend contracts. Players might well be willing to do so, but I'd guess they'd be wanting some hefty reassurances in case of injury picked up during the extra month or two they'd be playing.

I'd reckon the answer is no, but I've been wrong before
Presumably one of the questions that the clubs, players and the SFA need a firm answer to from someone more authoritative than me

11 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Grafting.  He’s a football manager with no football to train for.  He’s hardly slugging a pick against a coal face.

In comparison to our previous coach, Stendell is a grafter. 

He also appears to be taking no cash from us at the moment. 

Edited by paranoid android