Heart of Midlothian 2014-

The main advisor to Budge to recruit the new manager was an ex Hearts person with little career success. A fresh pair of experienced eyes should have been brought in to analyse the weaknesses and recommend a suitable new manager. Also there is little football knowledge on the board (yes I I include the vastly over-rated Levein in this comment)

Stendel - average track record and it looks a mess already.

This BBC documentary will be some viewing.

Whatever happens

Hopefully it will be great viewing as the protagonists claw themselves back from the jaws of doom but it may yet be a Greek tragedy

Either way they’re going to have a story to tell

They’ll be glad they didn’t choose to follow Aberdeen about

Any truth in the rumours you've got no money to spend unless you sell Hickey, who you've been whoring around every English side for the past year?

Wishful thinking on my part, perhaps, to believe such things.

I'm not just saying this to be wide (okay maybe a little bit), but this spend-your-way-out-of-trouble cliche is a bit of a myth, no?

I can't remember the last time a side (in Scotland or down south) spent relatively big and pulled clear of the drop.

Everyone said Falkirk would do it last season, and they didn't.

I think a few people were sure that Dundee United would sign the players to get them out of jail in 15/16, and they didn't.

If anyone has an example of it working, I'm all ears, but as far as I remember, it's not this guaranteed success people are making it out to be.

3 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

I'm not just saying this to be wide (okay maybe a little bit), but this spend-your-way-out-of-trouble cliche is a bit of a myth, no?

I can't remember the last time a side (in Scotland or down south) spent relatively big and pulled clear of the drop.

I think a few people were sure that Dundee United would sign the players to get them out of jail in 15/16, and they didn't.

If anyone has an example of it working, I'm all ears, but as far as I remember, it's not this guaranteed success people are making it out to be.

We HAVE to bring players in during the January window, even if it's just a few loan players on 6 month deals.

Budge and Levein have given us a proper shitshow.

8 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

County in 14/15? Signed 7 players in January, and surviver despite being 6 points adrift by February 1st.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

County in 14/15? Signed 7 players in January, and surviver despite being 6 points adrift by February 1st.

Stopped paying attention to the top flight that season for reasons that I don't need to get into, but cheers, there is a precedent then.

20 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Stopped paying attention to the top flight that season for reasons that I don't need to get into, but cheers, there is a precedent then.

Worth mentioning they tried it again under Coyle, and got relegated as they managed get worse after the window. Same with Dundee, who's overhaul in January made them worse.

When Michael Stewart said a few weeks ago on Sportscene ..... “ with the quality that Hearts have in their squad it is criminal that they are languishing at the bottom end of table”. My immediate reaction to that statement was - what quality?

If you analyse the squad it is packed full of mediocrity - just picking out a few stalwarts - Berra sadly done at this level, Walker couldn’t make it down south and it is plain to see why, McLean a journeyman, Clare a passenger etc etc. Young players like Cochrane, McDonald, have gone from being high potential youngsters with huge futures to players who can barely get a game in the Championship?The fundamental problem is that the squad is extremely poor and a huge clear out required. New Manager wants a high pressing game which is great in theory and you then look at the forward players and none of them are capable of playing much more than 45 minutes at normal pace far less pressing the ball hard for 90 minutes.

Gross mismanagement - the Cathro project, Levein entrusted with the rebuild

3 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

When Michael Stewart said a few weeks ago on Sportscene ..... “ with the quality that Hearts have in their squad it is criminal that they are languishing at the bottom end of table”. My immediate reaction to that statement was - what quality?

If you analyse the squad it is packed full of mediocrity - just picking out a few stalwarts - Berra sadly done at this level, Walker couldn’t make it down south and it is plain to see why, McLean a journeyman, Clare a passenger etc etc. Young players like Cochrane, McDonald, have gone from being high potential youngsters with huge futures to players who can barely get a game in the Championship?The fundamental problem is that the squad is extremely poor and a huge clear out required. New Manager wants a high pressing game which is great in theory and you then look at the forward players and none of them are capable of playing much more than 45 minutes at normal pace far less pressing the ball hard for 90 minutes.

Absolutely spot on 

5 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

You're not wrong, but it'd have been quicker to type "Michael Stewart is a fucking cretin"

Not going to be the third person to quote RJC, but he's spot on - unlike his brother MJC, who never is.

People have just decided to repeat this mantra of Hearts having a squad full of quality, when all evidence points against it.

Sure, they could be playing better than they currently are, and a lack of confidence plays a part in that, but what position do Hearts' squad really merit on paper?