The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2014-2015

glensmad

I think we would be doing very well to win those games in hand. You by the looks of it are more of the finished article than we are. Hopefully when we do play you we can make a game of it.

Seems we'll find out pretty soon!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A full set of fixtures for the first time for a few weeks.

Ardeer v Shettleston - 8th v 3rd, but only four points separating them and Ardeer with a game in hand. I watched the cup tie between these two earlier in the season, and Ardeer were the better side until Shettleston had a man sent off, and then the whole game changed in favour of the 10 men. I expect a close game here.

Cumbernauld v Greenock - 9th v 7th, but I now expect Cumbernauld to push on with the cup distraction out of the way and the boost of having already won silverware. Home advantage could be the key in this one.

Irvine Vics v Glencairn - 12th v 6th. We're hoping to get back on track after a sticky few weeks in the cups. Hopefully the addition of Ross McNeil to the squad and the return to fitness of Denis McLaughlin and Jamie Gilmartin will give us a spark. I've never been to Victoria Park before, so I'm looking forward to this one. Vics will be desperate to get their first win and will fancy their chances at home, will be a close game.

Largs v Neilston - 13th v 11th. Two teams that really haven't got started yet, and Largs fans will really start to get worried if they don't get going soon. Home advantage could be important, Neilston are conceding a lot of goals but scoring a few of their own.

Maybole v Rob Roy - 2nd v 4th, game of the day for me. A wee draw would be lovely as far as my team is concerned. 8) Maybole are scoring a lot and conceding a lot, whereas Rob Roy have been quite tight defensively, so it could be an interesting clash of styles.

Pollok v Yoker - 1st v 5th, and Pollok look like they are full of confidence at the moment. Yoker, however, are always a tough nut to crack and will not roll over against anybody, but I expect the league leaders to take the points.

Thorniewood v Kilsyth - 14th x 10th. Kilsyth have made a good recovery in recent weeks and they have a chance to extend that and pull themselves up to mid table after a pretty disastrous start. Thorniewood will be hoping home advantage will get them their first win of the season, it's always a tricky venue to win at for an away side.

League fixtures for the 22nd November are up now (Scottish cup week)

Ardeer vs Greenock

Maybole vs Irvine Vics

Rutherglen vs Cumbernauld

These fixtures have been up since Tuesday evening. Interesting to see almost half of the league out of the Scottish Junior Cup already, that should help get fixtures played as the season goes on.

Just had a look at the league table . Makes for interesting reading . We currently have the best defensive record in the league , ( next week that will come under threat as we play pollok ) . Largs only having scored 5 goals got my attention , at the other end pollok with a very impressive 25 goals from 9 games.

Twood looking like they are struggling a bit without a win in 8 , very close just above them . Good result for kilsyth today whos form has picked up .

Our own game today was a war of attrition so to speak. Tough conditions on a heavy park. Maybole looked decent going forward so good attacking players who make a nuisance of themselves. Look vulnerable at the back and their league stats back that up.

My own team point of view , pleased with it. Fought hard , created lots of chances . Finnegan again solid and played well as did the impressive brogan. Upton busy as ever , putting himself about excellent goal from him. Duff played well but came in for some rough treatment . Young guy Aitken up front is slowly getting used to the junior game , his hold up play , lay off's , work rate were all very good and nicely taken goal to put us level after falling behind.

Maybole will stay up this season ( thought i read someone said they would struggle ? ayr victoria ? ) , don't think they will get top two because of their defensive record will no doubt be pushing for a top 3 place with a host of other clubs.

Excellent away support from the Roy today, got behind the guys well.

Pollok v Yoker was similar, but more a war of attrition (rather than the war of nutrition at Maybole ).

Second half once we finally got the break through (after goal chopped off and a strong pen claim) we controlled the game. Yoker are a good side and probably the best to come to Newlandsfield this season.

Every week we seem to play a top 4 side and next week same again. A draw would be a good result next week against KRR.

Now 9 games in to the season and while we have started very well I think every team we have played at home has shown enough that we know going away to these sides is going to be very hard.

Come on the way you are playing and scoring a draw would not be a very good result. Fair result maybe but not very good, we have struggled for some season at home all season. A draw for us next Saturday would be a very good result!!

Four points separate 4th place and 10th place, i.e. the place below the promotion play-off spot and the place above the relegation zone.

It's just the usual mad competitive league.

Despite two of the bottom four getting their first wins of the season, a wee gap has now opened up between the relegation zone and the teams above. So they could all win next week and they will still all be in the relegation zone.

I was happy that we didn't slip down any places today and stay in 6th after our defeat. We are only one point above 10th, but we're only 3 points behind 4th with two games in hand.

Today's game was frustrating. We defended really poorly, and Irvine Vics took their chances well while we seemed to be battering against a brick wall for long spells of the match. We took an early lead and I thought we were going to go on and build on that, but it just didn't work out that way. We have two home games coming up now, so hopefully we can sort out our defence, as I'm confident we will score goals with the likes of McNeil, McLaughlin and Kilmartin about.

Come on the way you are playing and scoring a draw would not be a very good result. Fair result maybe but not very good, we have struggled for some season at home all season. A draw for us next Saturday would be a very good result!!

KRR finished above us last year and only went down via the play offs, we went straight down. So to be playing a team who finished above us last year, who have only dropped 5 points, lost around a goal a game, playing you at your home ground, yes a draw would be a good result.

We are playing well, but have had a long run of home games. Away we have lost 7 goals in 4 games, so not been as strong as we have been at Home.

Playing IMO the joint league favourites.

Very hard 3pts earned at Thorniewood yesterday,wood are no where near as bad a side as there league position suggests,we could have been goals down at half time in testing conditions,managed to score before half time,thought we were the better team in 2nd half but still a battle ,wood got a soft penalty and a harsh red for Chris Reid,but wee dug in an scored a stoppage time winner ! Thorniewood had several good players,wee mullen still a threat,big hammy(×-pollok)still a class act,and 5 at the back mc bride ? good steady player.

Four points separate 4th place and 10th place, i.e. the place below the promotion play-off spot and the place above the relegation zone.

It's just the usual mad competitive league.

Despite two of the bottom four getting their first wins of the season, a wee gap has now opened up between the relegation zone and the teams above. So they could all win next week and they will still all be in the relegation zone.

I was happy that we didn't slip down any places today and stay in 6th after our defeat. We are only one point above 10th, but we're only 3 points behind 4th with two games in hand.

Today's game was frustrating. We defended really poorly, and Irvine Vics took their chances well while we seemed to be battering against a brick wall for long spells of the match. We took an early lead and I thought we were going to go on and build on that, but it just didn't work out that way. We have two home games coming up now, so hopefully we can sort out our defence, as I'm confident we will score goals with the likes of McNeil, McLaughlin and Kilmartin about.

Ridiculous defending cost us three goals yesterday.

Andy Neil really needs to move in to play centre half beside Bishop until Russell is fit enough to come back.

Andy Neil is a natural centre back and always sticks out as an excellent performer in there. He has the pace to play there too, so I would agree with moving him in there till Marc is fit again.

Ridiculous defending cost us three goals yesterday.

Andy Neil really needs to move in to play centre half beside Bishop until Russell is fit enough to come back.

Agreed andy neil would do a good job at centre back but then it leaves the question who would u put at left back as andy is the only recognised left back fit at the moment.

Agreed andy neil would do a good job at centre back but then it leaves the question who would u put at left back as andy is the only recognised left back fit at the moment.

The ever reliable Ross Ballantyne did fine at left back for a few games at the start of the season.

Ross Ballantyne at left back isn't the ideal solution, but until there is an alternative then it is certainly an option we could consider. What is obvious, though, is that the back four of the past few weeks isn't working, and we need to look at changing it to stop us leaking goals, which we weren't doing at the start of the season with Dalzell and Russell in the back four.

Archived