Big welcome to the Hibs, Hearts & Rangers to the Championship

Welcome to Sevco, the Gorgie debt dodgers and Hibernian (no insult required).

Thanks...

The matches against Hearts and Hibs will be exciting... and I like Livingston and Dumbarton so those games will be good too...

...but a lot of Rangers fans will be anticipating the games against Raith!. Sure, the Ramsdens is a fake tournament, but still. Hopefully a repeat of revenge against Forfar where they were demolished 6-1. :)

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the averages:

St Mirren... 4,511

Kilmarnock... 4,250

St Johnstone... 3,806

Falkirk... 3,114

That's pathetic to look at.

We should hopefully break 4,000 next season. Season ticket price freezes and larger travelling supports should see to that.

My lazy guess was based on Celtic being away and Rangers being at home...which will be case obviously most weeks... the crowd slump will happen at celic, did U see the crowds at st mitten, killie, st johnstone...im sure we had the two highest Saturday crowd one week in the championship when there was 2 or 3 spl games....

There was also a midweek top 6 midweek game at st johnstone which either scrapped slightly above or below 2000....

The product up there is pish poor, I didn't most weeks know scores or league placings....snorefest top half, bottom half became interesting somehow even tho one team was really relegated with a points reduction before a ball was kicked..

Yeah well clearly if you are going to look at weeks in isolation then, if you average it out thereby factoring out the extra Premiership fixture, then the Championship may be higher every second week if Rangers gates hold up. However, that would also have been true about League One this season and Division 3 the year before. Rangers crowds are so much higher than everyone else that will always be the case. That's not the same as suggesting over the piece the Championship crowds will be higher than the Premiership ones more often than not.

I'm genuinely surprised at the closeness of the figures supplied by HJ though. I thought the difference would have been greater.

The slight problem is that we have less home games now. We have sold season tickets for 19 home games at the moment that price is £405. That works out at £22.50 a game in the championship.

Good luck Leeann Dempster sorted that out.

My guess is they'll throw in some freebies, whether it's a couple of friendlies or the Ramsdens Cup or a shop voucher and "bring a friend" or something.

Btw, on Falkirk's crowds... v Dundee + Hamilton + Morton this season they totalled 20,525 (average: 3,421).

They'll need to add 16,000 people to take their overall average above 4,000.

That would mean getting over 6,000 for all 6 games against Rangers, Hearts and Hibs*.

(*Assuming crowds against the other 6 clubs remain perfectly static. If Falkirk end-up adrift in 4th then I suppose they may fall slightly).

I'm genuinely surprised at the closeness of the figures supplied by HJ though. I thought the difference would have been greater.

Aye, it's interesting. Of course Hibs or Hearts are each like 3.something small Premiership clubs combined. Hamilton didn't even break 1,500.

Gross attendances (excluding playoffs)...

12 clubs to form Premiership... 1,954,020

all clubs played 19 games except Aberdeen, Dundee & Hamilton (all 18)

10 clubs to form Championship... 1,438,341

all clubs played 18 games except Hearts (19) and Hibs (20)

Some interesting statistics. When its all said and done, both will be closer to 8,000 with the Premiership probably slightly edging it.

One things for sure though, more fans will tune in for televised matches for the Championship than the Premiership. And the Championship clubs may dig their heels in, which I would not be surprised about, to get a better pay-cheque.

Makes sense.

^^^ Idiot found.

Hibs Sevco Hearts should start their own tv channel. This would be the ultimate 'get it up you' to the evil premiership clubs that have done them wrong. Hibs went down simply by being crap however both Rangers/Hearts were really badly treated,for small errors of accounting which was no fault of their own because the global economy collapsed.

How big a warchest will sally need now?

Oh, somewhere around £30 millions would just about do it.

But they need The glib and shameless liar to pony up that sort of dosh.

They're in deep doo doo, IMO.

Justice done. Hamilton dominated both matches. I am surprised with Butcher. I thought he was a better manager than that.

He thought they were safe when he went there and told the players half of them would be released come the season's end - backfired spectacularly when morale plummeted as fast as their league position....

Great management style - Mr Motivator he's known as.

Nothing against Hibs or Hearts (not sure about these new johnny-come-lately The Rangers though) but looking forward to seeing them going to QoS and Dumbarton and Cowdenbeath full of confidence, expecting an easy 3-points, then getting their arses handed to them on a plate - and it will happen, oh yes it will...

Folk who think Heart of Midlothian will find life tough = :lol:

Team of kids, untested manager... aye you'll walk the league right enough. To be honest I doubt you'll struggle too much but I would hardly be stunned if you came 4th or something.

Team of kids, untested manager... aye you'll walk the league right enough. To be honest I doubt you'll struggle too much but I would hardly be stunned if you came 4th or something.

Jamie Walker and David Smith picked up good experience with us and will be better players now. The only question mark I have over Hearts is their management team.

Not the first time I've seen that claimed but I just can't see it, even factoring back for the lesser number of games this division has.

Celtic Park has a bigger capacity than Ibrox and whilst neither club is especially likely to actually publish real bums on seats attendances there's no real reason to expect Rangers to significantly out-attend Celtic in matches.

Hibs and Hearts are big teams but Aberdeen's support would probably beat either of them, whilst a combination of Dundee United, Dundee, Motherwell, etc would outweigh the other.

Thereafter where are we getting the bigger crowds? Falkirk have a decent support but not enough to outweigh Kilmarnock and St Mirren. QoS, Livingston and Raith have average supports well under 2,000 usually and the part time clubs are all much smaller than anyone in the Premiership.

Apart from anything else, even if you accept the premise that there will be massive travelling supports from Rangers, Hearts and Hibs (which is by no means certain), the sheer size constraints of most of the grounds down here means they won't beat the Premiership attendances. Doesn't matter how many tens of thousands might want to see Dumbarton v Rangers, the stadium can only hold a couple of thousand (or whatever capacity is).

I expect next season will see the narrowest gap between the top two division ever in terms of average attendance but I would still expect the Premiership to be comfortably ahead.

Dundee's crowd is already guaranteed to be a lot higher - season ticket sales are already 150% up on last season.

This section of the forum really is going to be unbearable next season. It was good of morton to get relegated so we dont need to suffer it.

It would have been even worse if Morten were here - Verity would make it even more unbearable.

Aberdeens season ticket sales are up aswell. I'd be surprised if ours didn't rise, although you never know with our support

A team of "kids" who now have a whole season of experience in the top flight under their belts. Indeed, they proved they were good enough to stay in the division minus the points deduction. We will also be adding about half a dozen players.

We will get at least 80 points next season and will probably win the league if things do indeed implode at Ibrox again. However, if Sevco get their shit together I'd expect us to finish a close second, eventually going up via the play-offs.

I would agree with this to a certain extent, yes the kids have had an invaluable experience in the premier which I believe might win you the league with some luck.

I would also like to warn you of Falkirk, they are a team that will push anyone next season, they know the league and won't be scared of any Billy big balls . If they add they will be a right good footballing side.

Hibs? Butcher has already got rid of the deadwood and will undoubtably have a plan in place, he's been here before and knows the course.

The Rangers? New team with crippling financial issues which will be in Admin by xmas, and with a shite over paid manager.

Dumbarton, Raith and QOTS will push The Rangers for fourth IMO

Archived