What Was The Last Game You Played?

19QOS19

The 3 remakes are class, 3 is a lot shorter than the rest and is kinda different in how you are supposed to play it, (more run and gun, less exploration) which i thought was good given the narrative of the story was completely different from the first two games
I'm sure I read that 3 was kind of bad (might have made that up though) and 2 was absolutely brilliant so thought I was as well playing the first one too.

The only other RE I've ever played is 7 which I thought was brilliant then OK and might have been better if it wasn't a RE evil game; if it were shorter just focused on the family then it would've been incredible.
I just bought 2 in the sale there for 18 quid
I got it for £13 for PS4.

8 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I'm sure I read that 3 was kind of bad (might have made that up though) and 2 was absolutely brilliant so thought I was as well playing the first one too.

The only other RE I've ever played is 7 which I thought was brilliant then OK and might have been better if it wasn't a RE evil game; if it were shorter just focused on the family then it would've been incredible. I got it for £13 for PS4.

I'm sure it was the Ultimate Edition or some shit but nevertheless 😡

I don't think I'm cut out for horror games though. I've only had it installed on my hard drive two days and I've already had dreams about Mr. X. My playing history of Alien Isolation generally went: install on hard drive, play for 40 minutes, see the Alien once, delete for six months and have dreams about the Alien for a week. f**k that.

I got it for £13 for PS4.
The first RE remake is decent apart from the door animation still being in it.

Thought the Resident Evil 2 remake was brilliant. Its a fairly faithful remake and still has the Hunk and Tofu mode as well as some extra DLC.

3 remake should have just been further DLC for 2. You can complete it in about 3 hours. I was around 6 hours first time and that was taken my time to explore all areas. The Nemesis boss fights are tedious and it cuts out sections of the original. I still enjoyed it and would recommend if you can pick it up cheaply.

The first RE remake is decent apart from the door animation still being in it.

Thought the Resident Evil 2 remake was brilliant. Its a fairly faithful remake and still has the Hunk and Tofu mode as well as some extra DLC.

3 remake should have just been further DLC for 2. You can complete it in about 3 hours. I was around 6 hours first time and that was taken my time to explore all areas. The Nemesis boss fights are tedious and it cuts out sections of the original. I still enjoyed it and would recommend if you can pick it up cheaply.

The door animation is one of the best suspense tricks used in these early games, I'd be angry if they'd changed it in the remaster!

LgL8Gnw.jpg

Star Wars Battlefront II (PS4, 2017)

Before I start this write-up I'd like to offer two caveats:

- I have seen two of the new Star Wars films; The Force Awakens and Rogue One. I didn't see the point. The Force Awakens felt like badly written fan-fiction with a budget. Imagine the idea: "Let's make a new Star Wars film! It'll have a hero who thinks they're a nobody until they realise they're magic. There'll be a big evil group of people with a chief baddie in a black cloak and a mask. There'll be some sort of resistance group fighting against them. The baddies will have a big planet-shaped weapon. It'll have all the big stars from the original film for... reasons." Thrilling. My problem with new Star Wars is broadly the same as the expanded universe stuff that existed before it. I just don't care. When the films are done, the story is too. I don't care if someone tells me Darth Maul was still alive after being cut in half and falling several hundred feet down a hole. I really don't care if someone tells me the Emperor is still a thing after falling several hundred feet down a hole and exploding. 

- I started playing this game in June 2020. The game I played was not representative of the lootbox-ridden shitshow that it was at launch. From what I remember of the reaction to Battlefront II at the time, it was a disgrace. 

Battlefront II has a single player campaign. You are Iden Versio, the usual non-entity in the Empire somewhere who loves being evil. The second Death Star explodes and she's gutted. She goes to see her dad who's an Admiral on a Star Destroyer to find out what the plan is. "We are going to destroy our home world! Blow it up like Alderaan!" "Er, the whole planet is loyal to the Empire. This plan is stupid." "Nobody will cross the Empire when they see how serious we are!" Bang, double cross. This paragraph is the same amount of character development the game gives you, I'm not exaggerating. 

The campaign has 13 missions. If you thought my assessment of Iden's character was glib, there's a mission each where you play as Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Lando Calrissian and Kylo Ren. The game seems desperate to have you playing as classic characters in classic locations, rather than try and make a new, interesting character or story. Lando's chapter is particularly embarrassing since Billy Dee Williams actually does the voice acting. He's about 50 years older than Lando is. He sounds so old I actually found it a bit uncomfortable. 

I don't have much else to say about the single player. I played through it twice and I never really knew what was going on, that's how uninteresting it was. I'd watch a cutscene setting up the next chapter, the chapter would start and I'd be shooting something, or in a ship shooting at things and... what? I didn't know, I had no reason to care. Even the gameplay feels half-hearted. When you play as Iden you can do stealth takedowns, but it's virtually impossible to kill more than one or two Stormtroopers before you're spotted.

Despite not having played it in what must be over twelve years, I can still remember the original Battlefront II. In a time before online play it was something I would sit at for hours, playing stand-alone matches or going into Galactic Conquest and gradually taking over the galaxy. I remember space battles where I'd load up a transport and infiltrate the enemy's base. I think everyone who played that game would have fond memories of it. The online in the new Battlefront II doesn't compare at all. 

Let's take Starfighter Assault first. You're in space and you're either defending or attacking an objective. Fine. The attacking team always has far too many spawns, starting off with 150 and getting an extra 100 for every stage of the battle. So if you're defending you have the added bonus of always being very unlikely to win, to go along with the general tedium of having nothing to do but shoot down enemy ships. It takes some effort to make a game mode based on one of Star Wars' most exciting features this boring, but they've managed it. 

I'm going to be honest and say that I didn't spend much time in the other game modes. Ewok Hunt seemed fun, a hide and seek mode where you're on Endor as either a Stormtrooper or an Ewok. It's night, and if you're a Stormtrooper you need to survive until morning. You can't see in the dark, the Ewoks can. The sheer novelty of this was amusing, and is probably the only thing I'm going to remember of this game in a few months despite only playing one match of it. The other online game modes were just an exercise in frustration as more experienced players knew all the sightlines and choke points and made the game impossible to play never mind learn.

Thankfully there's a co-op mode which is more like old Battlefront. You and up to three others are paired up online and you have a set amount of time to either capture or defend some objectives against AI opponents. This is fine, and it's where I spent the majority of my time. Some maps are terrible, with final objectives that can't be captured because there's another level underground that covers the catchment area, and you can't clear out both of them at once. There's a good range of playable characters to use, from the four base units to the more advanced, faction-based characters, armour, and then the heroes. Unlocking these extra characters in-match was quick and easy enough, and when someone on your team actually knew how to use them, it generally made the fighting a bit easier. Some heroes have team-based abilities which might help in larger scale online modes, but the gameplay seems a bit too hectic for anything but passive abilities to have any meaningful effect.

Despite all of this game's controversies and despite the time I spent on it, my lasting opinion is going to be the same as that of new Star Wars that I described at the start. I don't care. During co-op matches I played I didn't care if I won or lost. I wasn't desperate to capture an objective or hold off wave after wave of enemies. The entire experience was as generic as you can imagine, and that's all I really have left to say. To have source material as popular and as interesting as Star Wars and make a game this dull could almost be considered an achievement. I might be impressed if I could focus on it for long enough to care. 

I downloaded it when it was free with PS+ so will probably play it at some point. I reckon I'll just do the campaign, though, as jumping into an online game that's been out for three years doesn't sound enjoyable. The first one was fun for an hour or so, but there were two good planets, two good game modes and one good hero or villain.

On 05/10/2020 at 13:30, accies1874 said:

I downloaded it when it was free with PS+ so will probably play it at some point. I reckon I'll just do the campaign, though, as jumping into an online game that's been out for three years doesn't sound enjoyable. The first one was fun for an hour or so, but there were two good planets, two good game modes and one good hero or villain.

Co-op matches are standard capture/defend a series of objectives, with four randomly matched players against the AI.

On 05/10/2020 at 13:30, accies1874 said:

The player base is a bit busier than I expected it to be and this was on Xbox which didn't have a free giveaway recently and the standard of player isn't elite dedicated psychos you'd normally expect from an older game.

Finished the first RE yesterday. Took me 18 hours which is apparently quite a bit longer than the average playtime, confirming my status of a massive wuss.

It's great fun, scary and ridiculous with pretty much the sole objective of getting the f**k out, although that obvs got diluted once more locations start getting introduced. However, that did result in the horrible apprehension of going back to the house for the "Mansion 2" section. Nothing else beats the mansion parts: it has the puzzliest puzzles, worst scares, and makes you get comfy with a location and routes before deciding to chuck random enemies in there which is just great. A rare example of backtracking being great.

You don't go back and forth in later parts of the game which I felt reduced the lasting/lingering fear while still retaining a lot of the shocks.

Apparently this is quite a common/boring complaint but I did hate the controls, although the stationary "camera" angles definitely added to the fear. The shooting was really, really awkward to begin with but I did get used to it somewhat. This has also made me realise that manual save points with extremely limited autosaves should be mandatory in horror games and content management, while, imo, shite in open world games, works perfectly.

Onto 2 now.

Finished the first RE yesterday. Took me 18 hours which is apparently quite a bit longer than the average playtime, confirming my status of a massive wuss.

It's great fun, scary and ridiculous with pretty much the sole objective of getting the f**k out, although that obvs got diluted once more locations start getting introduced. However, that did result in the horrible apprehension of going back to the house for the "Mansion 2" section. Nothing else beats the mansion parts: it has the puzzliest puzzles, worst scares, and makes you get comfy with a location and routes before deciding to chuck random enemies in there which is just great. A rare example of backtracking being great.

You don't go back and forth in later parts of the game which I felt reduced the lasting/lingering fear while still retaining a lot of the shocks.

Apparently this is quite a common/boring complaint but I did hate the controls, although the stationary "camera" angles definitely added to the fear. The shooting was really, really awkward to begin with but I did get used to it somewhat. This has also made me realise that manual save points with extremely limited autosaves should be mandatory in horror games and content management, while, imo, shite in open world games, works perfectly.

Onto 2 now.
Played around 4.5 hours of 2 now. It's really good but kind of a weird experience for me as, unlike the first one which felt like an old game with slightly upgraded graphics, this legitimately feels like it could've come out this year (if you ignore the keys which feel a bit retro). So far, I'm getting real Alien Isolation (when Mr X showed up) and TLOU P2 (which it obviously came out before) vibes which makes me wonder if it's added some things from newer games or was just really influential. None of that makes it bad, it's just interesting to me.

Playing on Normal, I'm finding the game fairly easy thus far, only dying a few times from Mr X (honestly, f**k him) and there seems to be quite a bit more ammunition. It definitely feels closer to RE7 than it does the first one. The lack of ink ribbons definitely reduces the tension, although the first time I found out that enemies can get into the main hall, a save point, was fucking terrifying and the better graphics (esp the better lighting and enemy models) and sound probably make the whole thing scarier.

Assassin's Creed: Unity. Amazing experience, especially while waiting for the release of Valhalla

I’m looking for a new game to play but I’ve never played any of the Assassins Creed games. Could I just jump in without knowing any of the story?

A lot of folk like the running story but you can play any of them really. If you don't play any of the early games, you are playing as an avatar. That is why it says "desynchronized" if you die.

20 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I’m looking for a new game to play but I’ve never played any of the Assassins Creed games. Could I just jump in without knowing any of the story?

I've completed Unity twice and I still can't tell you much of what happens, it's the definition of forgettable.

Played around 4.5 hours of 2 now. It's really good but kind of a weird experience for me as, unlike the first one which felt like an old game with slightly upgraded graphics, this legitimately feels like it could've come out this year (if you ignore the keys which feel a bit retro). So far, I'm getting real Alien Isolation (when Mr X showed up) and TLOU P2 (which it obviously came out before) vibes which makes me wonder if it's added some things from newer games or was just really influential. None of that makes it bad, it's just interesting to me.

Playing on Normal, I'm finding the game fairly easy thus far, only dying a few times from Mr X (honestly, f**k him) and there seems to be quite a bit more ammunition. It definitely feels closer to RE7 than it does the first one. The lack of ink ribbons definitely reduces the tension, although the first time I found out that enemies can get into the main hall, a save point, was fucking terrifying and the better graphics (esp the better lighting and enemy models) and sound probably make the whole thing scarier.
You need to play it on hard to get the true experience. I can't remember if it automatically makes saving by ink ribbon mandatory on hard or if you need to toggle it on.

On hard you don't regenerate health, don't have is much inventory space or ammo and the zombies do more damage. That and the ink ribbons makes it much more like the original.