What Was The Last Game You Played?

19QOS19

I bought Midnight Suns with all the DLC for about £30 last year and finally got around to playing it a bit. Big fan of the modern XCOM games, so I figured it would be my kind of thing. It's even further down the XCOM-lite path forged by Chimera Squad (which I also enjoyed), and also throws in an RPG-lite third-person adventure mode between missions. It feels really strange to start with, and I like it, but hopefully they aren't planning on going down this route for XCOM 3 - the internet may explode about their strategy game being dumbed down.

Just a few other thoughts:

• Why did they decide to use a piss filter for all the advertising? It bears no relation to the game and put me off a bit when it was first released, as it looked awful.
  • The amount of Marvel snark is off the charts; they're going to have to cut back on this eventually, as almost all the dialogue in the game involves sarcastic humour. Everyone liked it when the films started, but not ALL the time, guys.
  • Deadpool is still pretty amusing, even when he's more Gilbert Gottfried than Ryan Reynolds. Actually lol'd a couple of times.
  • They were really going for a younger audience than the standard XCOM crowd, and it's amusing to think that there are likely older gamers fuming about "XCOM going woke" somewhere on the Internet if I really wanted to make my eyes bleed  :P
  • There's a relationship sim element to this one, which...yeah, people want to spend some time with the Marvel characters they like, so I can see this and it's fine. It probably also springs from the emergent gameplay element that came out of the XCOM remake, as people got attached to their randomly-generated squad characters, so they brought in more scripted characters for Chimera Squad and I think Firaxis will maybe get some pushback if they continue down this route.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Hogwarts the other day.

Loved it, what a great setting they gave not just the castle but Hogmeade and the massive Highland area they built. The question were good, the characters were okay but it did feel like a clothing hunt at times.

All in all, worth it and the battle system was surprisingly good once you get a knack for it. 

On 16/03/2024 at 20:47, Stellaboz said:

Finished Hogwarts the other day.

Loved it, what a great setting they gave not just the castle but Hogmeade and the massive Highland area they built. The question were good, the characters were okay but it did feel like a clothing hunt at times.

All in all, worth it and the battle system was surprisingly good once you get a knack for it. 

As ive got older and less good at gaming (specifically online game, chucked cod and fifa as i cba putting the sweat in) ive been focusing more on enjoying games, especially ones with big stories to tell etc 

Im not ashamed to say i play games at first on easy mode as i actually want to enjoy the story they are telling

Another thing i enjoy more now is game settings and locations, having good locations, good environments etc can make a story much better to enjoy

And hogwarts is one of, if not the best looking game i have ever seen in terms of immersing you in its world, hogwarts itself is unbelievable, but the fact they didn't stop there and focused a major amount on the outside world as well is just stunning 

The game has faults, but scenery, setting etc is unreal

Seen resident evil 5 and 6 were on sale so finally bought them as i had never played them before (stopped after 4 when the series went too actiony for my liking) 

Ive finished 5, was decent, the AI co-op is a good addition and was a decent enough story 

6 im struggling to get into and will likely finish all stories in it then never go back, it has the resident evil lore but none of the jump factors

Both games have fantastic settings, especially as they are ps3 games, the china location, its buildings, markets etc were done well

But its just constant running and shooting, there's no gingerly walking up to a corner for fear of something eating you alive round it, ffs infected people still shooting guns at you and acting all soldier type seems wrong 

Be interesting to see what capcom remake next after 4's success 

0RpFrAg.jpeg

Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition (PS4, 2020)

This might be difficult to believe, but I don't write up every game I play. I go into a game largely intending to, but sometimes I just don't have anything or enough to say. Sometimes I don't think it's worth talking about or recommending something. Sometimes I'm just lazy. 

Very rarely we have a game like Kentucky Route Zero where for the entire time I spend playing it I think and I wonder and I struggle with what I can say before eventually deciding that if a game is going to drown me in quite as many words as this does, I'm going to return the favour.

In the Annapurna Interactive Deluxe Collector's Edition, Kentucky Route Zero is introduced by its creators:

7CpLPdM.png

I didn't really know anything about this game before I played it. I didn't know that it was released episodically, with five 'Acts' released over a period of seven years. This immediately sets alarm bells ringing. It's easy enough for someone to play the complete version now (or with the subtitle "TV Edition" as it's called on console) but I can't imagine being really invested in something that takes seven years to reach a conclusion. It seems like there was additional content to go along with these releases - websites, phone numbers and the like, but it's still going to be, at best, a hard sell.

I'm waffling a bit here because eventually I'm going to have to start talking about the game. In the past when I've been critical of a game I post a glib summary of the plot to show how silly it is. I can't do that with Kentucky Route Zero because there's so much of it. Go and look at the Wikipedia page. If you plan on playing it and don't want spoilers, read a sentence or two here or there. Random sentences will make as much sense as the whole. The game starts with you in control of a delivery driver named Conway who's struggling to find an address. He stops at a petrol station and is told he needs to take the Zero, an apparently mysterious road which you can't just get to by driving there. He sets off in search of this road and his final destination of 5 Dogwood Drive, meeting a host of other characters and visiting even more surreal locations along the way.

It's also hard to really describe the plot because of... well, a few reasons. The first act is Conway driving around. He meets and teams up with a girl named Shannon Marquez in an abandoned mine. In Act Two they end up at the Bureau of Reclaimed Spaces, a Kafka-esque administration hub where they hope they can find directions to Conway's destination. After this they go looking for a doctor to look at the leg Conway injured in the mine. They meet a boy named Ezra who lives in the forest with his brother, a giant bird named Julien. They fly along the river and find the doctor who treats him and gives him a new, glowing skeletal leg. Then in Act Three their truck crashes and they team up with an android synth-pop duo on a motorbike. 

The point is, the plot changes around each act. It changes in a way where you can physically track your reaction and expectations changing. In Act One you want to learn about Conway and where he's going and why. In Act Two you go somewhere to get answers and you're hopeful of things going somewhere. Act Three starts with a half hour long, unskippable student-produced play you need to watch before you team up with the androids and hold on a minute. I need to sit for half an hour, watching some people in a bar talking about... trouble with the distillery? About that night's entertainment not showing up? About someone not getting a promotion at work? It was at this point the game started trying my patience. When Act Four came along and was set on a boat with a bunch of new people who weren't introduced I gave up and started resenting it. By the time Act Five came along and I was in control of a cat and some people were crying about dead horses I'd never seen I just stopped paying attention.

In terms of genre, Kentucky Route Zero seems described mostly as point and click adventure. This isn't a genre of game I have a lot of experience with, but I don't know how well this format works for the story which is told here. There's a lot of dialogue to read, there are things to interact with and choices to make when you do, but almost none of this seems to have any effect on anything. The events that take place don't change. Nothing different happens to any characters or relationships. I don't think you learn anything new. In Act Four there are options to go to one location or another. I played the game twice and chose the different ones each time, and there's very little insight to anything either way. 

The point and click format also struggles under the sheer weight of words the game has packed into it. If you read everything and if you think about your responses a first time playthrough of this game will take at least six hours. Even a second run will take about the same if you read everything again in the hope that foreknowledge might help you understand what's going on. When you factor in the attention drift that happens about halfway through the game the amount of reading really starts to drag the game down. 

I don't have a problem with video games being experimental with regards to genre and format. I don't mind walking simulators as a concept even though they're basically just films where you need to move around and press X every now and then. If the content of them is engaging, then that's fine. Kentucky Route Zero falls under the weight of its own surrealism and the sheer amount of its characters. It takes too long to attempt to reveal anything, and by the time anything happens you're so fatigued from how long it's taken to reach that point you've stopped caring anyway. As the game goes on more characters are introduced... well, more characters show up without warning and it becomes harder to keep track of everyone.

This game is very well regarded. Its Metacritic ratings for the various acts and versions are all in the high 80s and low 90s. When you look up the game online you find various subreddits extolling its virtues. It's great. It's a step forward for the Games As Art argument. It's spellbinding, it's tragic, it's well-written and one of the best games ever. Nothing has ever touched me emotionally like this. Actual reviews say similar. You read a bit further looking for an actual explanation why and nothing comes. I still don't know why this game is so well-regarded. 

Come to think of it, I don't know what this game's about. I mean About. I tried watching some (hour long-plus) videos about it on youtube before I realised, I shouldn't have to do this. I've gone through the game twice, I've read everything and it's not had any effect on me. Someone telling me it's about how evil capitalism is isn't going to be a moment of revelation, and if it did then that's not a good thing anyway. The game is so impenetrable that when actual moments which might or should be poignant and significant happen, they aren't. Something happens to Conway in the end of Act Four, but it's completely outwith your control (which is part of the point) and you know so little about his fate that it just has no impact. I think the game and its writing aspires to literature more than any other medium, but the way it's presented prevents any sense of significance or symbolism from imparting itself on the player.

I think this is partly the point. One comment I did see pop up is that the game is partly about how people aren't really in control of their lives, or the things they do. That forces more powerful and outside our control, ultimately, have more influence on what happens to us than anything we do. That there will be forces which are effectively unanswerable to their actions, and that the game focuses on people who do have to deal with them. But it's all too vague. It's not that things aren't spelled out explicitly, it's that they come and go in a dreamlike state where nothing makes sense and it's a constant uphill battle to feel any sense of grounding or empathy or relation to anything or anyone.

With this in mind, there are aspects of the game which should contribute to effectively putting its message across. The art style is nice, if lacking a bit in colour. The ambient soundtrack and world design is very distinctive and striking. The designs of the game's actual locations are imposing too, from Equus Oils right at the start with a giant horse's head in the building to the impossibly shaped Bureau to others, the locations are unique and fantastic examples of the clear imagination and creativity that went into the game. One subject of praise I have seen about the game is that it recreates a sense of place well. People who're from Kentucky and the surrounding area recognise it and identify with it. I can't speak to this specifically, but I have certainly played other games with a more dramatic and immersive sense of place.

But then even considering this, there are moments which should be emotionally resonant but which just aren't because of how difficult it is to follow the narrative. Remember in Red Dead Redemption when Jose Gonzalez plays as you go into Mexico for the first time? Or later when music plays as you go back to your family for the first time? How the music gradually comes in and plays over the usual sounds and ambient music, complementing and dominating at the same time while also defining the moment, physically and emotionally? Kentucky Route Zero has similar a few moments.

There are moments, usually at the end of the acts, which tie into the sense of place I mentioned earlier. Where a country/folky/bluesy acoustic guitar number will play, usually with a few shadowy figures in profile in the foreground of the picture, suggesting they're part of the audience along with you. The songs themselves are good, but unlike Red Dead where they make you realise how momentous what's happening actually is you just sort of wonder what and why. Why is music playing? Why is the music significantly more arresting than the events surrounding it? Arguably the most memorable part of the game is when the android musicians you team up with play their song in a bar. The roof tiles float away and the stars streak across the sky like a time-lapse photograph showing the movements of everything in the sky. The song - musically and lyrically - is absolutely haunting, and feels like a landmark moment in what's going on. You wonder who they're singing about (it's called Too Late to Love You and you can choose the lyrics).

But this is near the start of this act. You subsequently spend an hour in a cave with a computer that doesn't make any sense and the poignancy and impact of the music is long gone. I tried to like Kentucky Route Zero. I went in with goodwill (largely through ignorance, I knew virtually nothing about it) and for about the first two acts I played in curiosity and expectation. Eventually though the game just falls under the weight of the amount of strange, unresolved content which even undermines the actual memorable moments.

In a way it's hard to determine whether or not Kentucky Route Zero is a bad game. It's not broken. It's not lazy. Everything works. It's clear a lot of care and attention and detail and imagination went into the writing and the art design. Some aspects of this are more successful than others. Ultimately though a game like this only succeeds if it leaves an impact on the player, and it just didn't for me. I can still barely describe what this is about. As distinctive as the art style is, it's not going to stick with me. As much as some people on the internet think it's a transcendent masterpiece, I don't know if they could ever convince me. There might be a Message here, but I don't think it's communicated well and I don't know how well it even could be communicated in this format. The introduction to this game I posted earlier says "it's also a story, so it has an ending" and I just don't think that's accurate.

I don't know if I'm trying to not criticise this game or not, but it's just hard to decide what I think. It's hard to follow, the plot, narrative and characterisation is lacking and there are several prolonged occasions where it feels like an endurance test with the makers off to the side of the screen sniggering at you as you actually sit there taking this in. It didn't have the effect on me it seems to have had on people online. But I'm not overjoyed and glad to be rid of it, I'm just moving on. 

I bought Balatro this week and it is terrific (Luck Be A Landlord is also good but slighter). It has interrupted me playing Phantom Doctrine which I bought a few years ago and never got into but have been enjoying quite a bit recently. It's an XCOM2-like that prioritises stealth over shooting. Pretty good. I really should go back and give XCOM2 another whirl but I remember liking playing the levels but could not get into the between stages stuff.

On 27/03/2024 at 19:04, wuffster said:

I bought Balatro this week and it is terrific (Luck Be A Landlord is also good but slighter). It has interrupted me playing Phantom Doctrine which I bought a few years ago and never got into but have been enjoying quite a bit recently. It's an XCOM2-like that prioritises stealth over shooting. Pretty good. I really should go back and give XCOM2 another whirl but I remember liking playing the levels but could not get into the between stages stuff.

I've had Phantom Doctrine installed for years, but gave up on it after it took about an hour to reach the extraction conditions after completing the objectives on my first mission. Just felt really long-winded and a bit of a chore. Is it worth persisting with?

Mate you defo need to persist with xcom 2, once you get the hang of researching, opening up new communications stuff etc it really expands the game 

By the end when your team are kitted out in alien gear and stacked with a f**k ton of advanced weaponry, the levels are even better to play

XCOM dissent shall not be tolerated. Mods!

War of the Chosen is probably one of the greatest DLCs of all time. Maybe play the base game through on a low difficulty to get the hang of the base-building and stuff, then play it on increasingly harder difficulties until your mind breaks. Then play WotC and keep playing, forever.

Chimera Squad is a budget story-based XCOM lite with scripted characters; a more laidback diversion. It's also good, and you might like it more if the base-building/research stuff of XCOM 2 seems like too much of an arseache. There's also Midnight Suns, your enjoyment of which will depend on how much you enjoy the Marvel films/characters, and if you fancy almost-but-not-quite romancing them and having them tell you you're just swell. I've enjoyed it quite a bit too, even if the superhero chat is very cringe (as I believe the young people say).

Basically, Firaxis can do no wrong and I will fight you.

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

War of the Chosen is probably one of the greatest DLCs of all time. Maybe play the base game through on a low difficulty to get the hang of the base-building and stuff, then play it on increasingly harder difficulties until your mind breaks. Then play WotC and keep playing, forever.

Chimera Squad is a budget story-based XCOM lite with scripted characters; a more laidback diversion. It's also good, and you might like it more if the base-building/research stuff of XCOM 2 seems like too much of an arseache. There's also Midnight Suns, your enjoyment of which will depend on how much you enjoy the Marvel films/characters, and if you fancy almost-but-not-quite romancing them and having them tell you you're just swell. I've enjoyed it quite a bit too, even if the superhero chat is very cringe (as I believe the young people say).

I cant fight worth a f**k but i got your back as well

War of the Chosen was a fantastic DLC, all the DLC for xcom 2 was great fun, for me it perfectly mixed the blend of base building, researching etc and the battles, you never felt you were constantly barraged with either

I tried that phoenix point but was burnt out with the turn based for a bit, well defp go back to it

Midnight suns was good how they changed up the tactical side, they could have just done a marvel copy of xcom 2 but instead they tried to change it up and i think the battles are great fun in terms of having to think about what you do, 

Just need a remake of command and conquer now (proper next gen console one would be unreal) but alas it will never happen

On 03/04/2024 at 18:00, Boo Khaki said:

I've had Phantom Doctrine installed for years, but gave up on it after it took about an hour to reach the extraction conditions after completing the objectives on my first mission. Just felt really long-winded and a bit of a chore. Is it worth persisting with?

I would give it a whirl. There is only one map I thought was a real chore to get through and it was a bit into the story. YMMV

On 04/04/2024 at 15:11, 54_and_counting said:

Mate you defo need to persist with xcom 2, once you get the hang of researching, opening up new communications stuff etc it really expands the game

On 04/04/2024 at 16:11, BFTD said:

Chimera Squad is a budget story-based XCOM lite with scripted characters; a more laidback diversion. It's also good

Thanks for the replies but the highlighted stuff is what I cannot be bothered with (and I realise it a classic etc.). Some games just pass you by.