What Was The Last Game You Played?

19QOS19

6 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I far prefer the dumb but fun riff on 90s action movies

I know Miguel mentioned the "The Rock" style mission in this, but I would absolutely fucking love a full game based on that movie. There are probably a few others that could be adapted brilliantly too (I'm looking at you, Con Air).

Two of the games on my list were pretty faithful movie adaptations, so I would definitely consider myself a fan of that type of thing, when done well obviously.

ETA: I clearly mean my top 10 list for the other thread, which I definitely didn't think I was reading while I was typing this post, m'lud

Edited by Mark Connolly

10 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I know Miguel mentioned the "The Rock" style mission in this, but I would absolutely fucking love a full game based on that movie. There are probably a few others that could be adapted brilliantly too (I'm looking at you, Con Air).

Two of the games on my list were pretty faithful movie adaptations, so I would definitely consider myself a fan of that type of thing, when done well obviously.

ETA: I clearly mean my top 10 list for the other thread, which I definitely didn't think I was reading while I was typing this post, m'lud

Call of Duty is probably at its best when it's doing its own off-brand attempt at these things so they should just start incorporating things like a Con-Air level or something. I really enjoyed Infinite Warfare's "what if the DoD directed The Expanse" campaign.

Why have I never bothered loading Cities Skylines? Fucking hell, just watched some random on YouTube do a let's play a few days ago, and now I know how to start off a city I'm totally hooked. Even great fun playing with the boys watching and getting them to name the streets etc. 

Got what seems to be the better dlcs off CD-keys this morning, and will be firing through a few cities over the weekend. Just need to get beyond building some starting areas, watching them for a minute, and then starting again. 

Would recommend (although I imagine anyone tickled by it has probably played it to death)

2 hours ago, madwullie said:

Why have I never bothered loading Cities Skylines? Fucking hell, just watched some random on YouTube do a let's play a few days ago, and now I know how to start off a city I'm totally hooked. Even great fun playing with the boys watching and getting them to name the streets etc. 

Got what seems to be the better dlcs off CD-keys this morning, and will be firing through a few cities over the weekend. Just need to get beyond building some starting areas, watching them for a minute, and then starting again. 

Would recommend (although I imagine anyone tickled by it has probably played it to death)

I've played it a fair bit recently, I'm probably quite shite at it though, it's such an addictive game when you first get into the swing of things, you feel like a god, then the traffic flow complaints, then the worker complaints, then next thing you know you've not got enough cemeteries, bodies are stacking up, buildings are on fire, everyone is moaning about their taxes and nobody stops to say thanks for the thoughtful placement of the small park!

Fun game though. Unlimited money is the way to go. 

On 24/04/2021 at 08:32, madwullie said:

I got the PS4 version for free via PS Plus a while ago, but have never bothered to load it up. 

Sounds like it might be worth a go, have always assumed that console versions of these games are always watered down shite compared to PC.

Been playing Disco Elysium on the PS4 the last few nights - it's really good but my old PS4 is struggling to even keep up with this, the loading times are ridiculous and the framerate is unsteady. Also I seem to have hit a bit of a lull in day 4, I have no idea what to do next other than to wait for some white checks to reopen but that is really tedious.

Edited by Steve_Wilkos

Had a hankering to play through Quake again for a while, but just realised that I never played the mission packs. I intend to rectify that this weekend.

Worryingly, Steam says that I've played them for about 20 hours combined, which means that I've put them on, probably multiple times, and left them running in the background all day while I did exciting work [emoji849]

Are you playing on pc? If so, have you checked out the mods? There are some really good ones out there.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:
On 24/04/2021 at 08:32, madwullie said:

Are you playing on pc? If so, have you checked out the mods? There are some really good ones out there.

Aye mate, just getting dug in just now. 

I've been quite enjoying it playing without infinite cash. Any time I've used it I've just gone mental with roads rather than carefully crafting something and it's ended up looking like shit. Can see the allure though 

Edited by madwullie

12 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Started horizon zero dawn as its free on the ps store (need to search it), it seems decent enough but is it worth putting the time into it? 

I liked it. People seem downer on it than they were 3-4 years ago but I thought the central premise was decent, story was good and gameplay was very smooth. World is stunning as well. Sequel should be class.

7 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I liked it. People seem downer on it than they were 3-4 years ago but I thought the central premise was decent, story was good and gameplay was very smooth. World is stunning as well. Sequel should be class.

I'll admit in not long into it at all (aloy is litterally just became an adult or whatever age she is) but the premise reminds me of the tomb raider games, having to forage for stuff etc

I liked RotTR as it had decent action, didnt like SotTR as it was more puzzel orientated instead of balanced with action, hoping this is more like Rise instead of Shadow

6 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

I'll admit in not long into it at all (aloy is litterally just became an adult or whatever age she is) but the premise reminds me of the tomb raider games, having to forage for stuff etc

I liked RotTR as it had decent action, didnt like SotTR as it was more puzzel orientated instead of balanced with action, hoping this is more like Rise instead of Shadow

I haven't played them at all although I really should. I can't mind why I bounced off the original reboot of Tomb Raider.

If you're in the mood for an open world checklist game then it's a good one of them definitely. They also have one of the best voice actors in the game, Lance Riddick, as a mystery man that crops up later in the game.

11 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I haven't played them at all although I really should. I can't mind why I bounced off the original reboot of Tomb Raider.

I played it last month and I'm not writing a review of it because I have nothing to say. That might give you a hint.

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I played it last month and I'm not writing a review of it because I have nothing to say. That might give you a hint.

I've seen someone somewhere else say it's better than Uncharted which tbf might still track with your tastes.

I really don't think I care for the genre!

6 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I've seen someone somewhere else say it's better than Uncharted which tbf might still track with your tastes.

I really don't think I care for the genre!

The gameplay is marginally more satisfying. It's obviously better than the Uncharteds in that it doesn't have Nathan Drake in it, but that's the problem. There's nothing. There's a posh English woman saying Lara Croft a few times. That's it.