What Was The Last Game You Played?

19QOS19

Just completed the main story of Dragon Quest 11 on pc last night. Not sure whether to do all the post game stuff now or start Halo 3 which just came out for PC a couple of days ago

I’ve played about half an hour of DQ XI but it didn’t click for some reason. I have got on a massive JRPG kick ever since I finished FFVIIR tho so maybe it’s worth dipping back in. That said, I just started Persona 5 Royal and conservative estimates at completing that are clocking in at about 110 hours lol.

55 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I’ve played about half an hour of DQ XI but it didn’t click for some reason. I have got on a massive JRPG kick ever since I finished FFVIIR tho so maybe it’s worth dipping back in. That said, I just started Persona 5 Royal and conservative estimates at completing that are clocking in at about 110 hours lol.

I'm about 20 hours into Persona 5 Royal.

I have to confess that I spent the first 10 hours not having a clue what to do but now I've gotten to grips with it it's amazing.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I'd rate it a 7/10, took me just over 60 hours to finish the main story and that was with fully exploring most areas for materials and talking to NPC's, doing some side quests etc. It's my understanding that the post game is just even more side quests and a couple of plot events that you can do to see the true ending.

Think my favourite DQ game is still 8 on the PS2, I'm tempted to dig it out and start a new game on that for the nostalgia now 

20 hours ago, Ocular Patdown Required said:

I'd rate it a 7/10, took me just over 60 hours to finish the main story and that was with fully exploring most areas for materials and talking to NPC's, doing some side quests etc. It's my understanding that the post game is just even more side quests and a couple of plot events that you can do to see the true ending.

Think my favourite DQ game is still 8 on the PS2, I'm tempted to dig it out and start a new game on that for the nostalgia now 

I don't know if the art design and stuff didn't click w me but everything else about it is right up my street so I'll inevitably pick it up although maybe not given Nintendo's refusal to cut the price on anything.

21 hours ago, Gaz said:

I'm about 20 hours into Persona 5 Royal.

I have to confess that I spent the first 10 hours not having a clue what to do but now I've gotten to grips with it it's amazing.

Think this is where I'm at with it. Really love the design and how weird it all is but I haven't the foggiest what I'm doing. Can't wait to kick Kamoshida's c**t in though.

Trying to get through some games on my Steam that I've not played in years or have never finished.

Right now I'm on what would be Disc 2 of FFIX, really dig the class system in this, gives you more to think about than VII and VIII's "everyone is the same but with slightly different stats".

28 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Trying to get through some games on my Steam that I've not played in years or have never finished.

Right now I'm on what would be Disc 2 of FFIX, really dig the class system in this, gives you more to think about than VII and VIII's "everyone is the same but with slightly different stats".

Contrary to what everyone usually says about these games I really don't think I like when the game shifts over to letting you travel where you want. I think I've got to the end of disc 3/ start of disc 4 maybe 3 or 4 times and find the momentum just shudders to a halt. Same with FFVII right after I left Midgar. Definitely think IX is one of my favourites even if I haven't ever completed it.

Just now, NotThePars said:

Contrary to what everyone usually says about these games I really don't think I like when the game shifts over to letting you travel where you want. I think I've got to the end of disc 3/ start of disc 4 maybe 3 or 4 times and find the momentum just shudders to a halt. Same with FFVII right after I left Midgar. Definitely think IX is one of my favourites even if I haven't ever completed it.

I loved FFVII and FFVIII when they first came out and FFIX didn't do much for me at first. As I've gotten older I like VII a little less, VIII a lot less and IX a lot more. Really enjoying this currently playthrough. It doesn't seemed to have aged anywhere near as badly as the previous two games.

The open world bit in XIII killed me, I can never finish the game as I just get bored- that and it runs like ass on a PC.

FFVIII is the daddy of FF for me. FFX being a closed second.

Loved FFVII, but have no interest in the remake. Felt the same way about the Resident Evil Remakes (Except the original remake).

Never got around to playing IX will need to give it a go.

FF was ruined for me when they overhauled the battle system in XII and they've never really looked back.

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

I loved FFVII and FFVIII when they first came out and FFIX didn't do much for me at first. As I've gotten older I like VII a little less, VIII a lot less and IX a lot more. Really enjoying this currently playthrough. It doesn't seemed to have aged anywhere near as badly as the previous two games.

The open world bit in XIII killed me, I can never finish the game as I just get bored- that and it runs like ass on a PC.

I'm playing XIII atm and tbh I kinda enjoy the combat or at least I get where they're trying to go with it. Nowhere near the open world bit so we'll see how it pans out. The voice acting in this is genuinely abysmal though. Anyone that enjoys Vanille is having the nonce police phoned on them.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Loved FFVII, but have no interest in the remake. Felt the same way about the Resident Evil Remakes (Except the original remake).

FF was ruined for me when they overhauled the battle system in XII and they've never really looked back.

The remake will be my game of the year. Loved it tbh. X was my fave and after 20 years I've finally got to a point on the Switch version where I can defeat the dark aeons haha.

Edited by NotThePars

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (1997 - 2015 remaster)

Fun fast paced late 90's FPS that was groundbreaking when it was released with it's large open levels & for it's time high graphical quality. Gunplay & movement are both smooth & fluid overall although some may find the platforming annoying due to the protaganists fast movement speed. My major complaint with the game is it's lack of standard save/quicksave instead using a lives system & only being able to save at pedastals throughout the levels. Strange move considering the game was released in 1997, four years after the fps grandaddy Doom & one year after Quake.

The N64 version is well regarded if & played a major part in pushing forward the console fps albeit overshadowed by some game called Goldeneye at the time which came out a few months later in part due to Turok lacking multiplayer. The 2015 remaster of the PC version is on steam, xbone & switch.

On 19/07/2020 at 15:55, Ludo*1 said:

VII > CT > X > VI > IV > IX > VIII > XII > XV > XIII > V > I > III > II

• 3 weeks later...

Deus Ex (2000, PC)

proxy-image?piurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.themis-media.com%2Fmedia%2Fglobal%2Fimages%2Flibrary%2Fderiv%2F946%2F946874.jpg&sp=1596809100Tea827b39681899bab0d441497bf41849c56ac720bc1d5fd33ad11e5e6a70b237

The game is lauded as a masterpiece & one of the best games of all the times & rightfully so imo. An excellent well written story immersed in conspiracy theory galore with engaging characters. A cyberpunk inspired dystopian setting taking in the USA, Hong Kong & Paris. Player agency providing multiple methods & avenues for goals to be completed. Agency also extends to your actions having a direct impact on how some story aspects pan out. A wide array of tools at your disposal to use how you see fit.
Map design that rewards exploration with alternate paths & hidden areas plus gameworld lore galore to be discovered. The graphics are a weakpoint & were below par even on release but it's not bad enough to ruin the experience. The voice acting also isn't exactly classic but it has a certain charm in a cheesy kind of way. Big fan of the protagonist JC Denton's deapan, dry & straight to the point delivery which is hilarious & part of the games charm & has contributed to the meme culture surrounding the series.

TL;dr. Good game go play this game.

Yasss! One of my favourite games ever. I've completed this numerous times trying out new ways to do shit and it's so rewarding. OK, the ending not so much but I love this universe.
The sheer depth and length of it is something but the story is terrific, the characters are strong and I love how you can have multiple ways of shit happening. The fact that if you leave the Ton Hotel (during the shoot out) either through the window or via the front door changed what happens to... Someone... Was brilliant at that time. Still is.

The game play is charming. The graphics are laughable now but again it's charming and the game is engrossing enough to just jump in.

There are so, so many hidden locations and secrets in this. It's worth exploring everywhere.

I fucking love the blue blade you eventually get in Hong Kong, it's brutal!

Deus Ex (2000, PC)

946874.jpg%26sp=1596809100Tea827b39681899bab0d441497bf41849c56ac720bc1d5fd33ad11e5e6a70b237&key=7867b7baaf9faa0ef5a69797f063b7323882552b871c335c5a70021f9883ba86

The game is lauded as a masterpiece & one of the best games of all the times & rightfully so imo. An excellent well written story immersed in conspiracy theory galore with engaging characters. A cyberpunk inspired dystopian setting taking in the USA, Hong Kong & Paris. Player agency providing multiple methods & avenues for goals to be completed. Agency also extends to your actions having a direct impact on how some story aspects pan out. A wide array of tools at your disposal to use how you see fit.
Map design that rewards exploration with alternate paths & hidden areas plus gameworld lore galore to be discovered. The graphics are a weakpoint & were below par even on release but it's not bad enough to ruin the experience. The voice acting also isn't exactly classic but it has a certain charm in a cheesy kind of way. Big fan of the protagonist JC Denton's deapan, dry & straight to the point delivery which is hilarious & part of the games charm & has contributed to the meme culture surrounding the series.

TL;dr. Good game go play this game.
My favourite game of all time, I even have a tattoo of the front cover on my arm. One of the only games I have played from start to finish numerous times, the minute the opening theme music kicks in, goosebumps.

I've tried playing Deus Ex multiple times, going back to when it was new out, and I've never been able to get in to it. The game mechanics seem broken to me; sneaking about just doesn't seem to work, as you get spotted way too easily, and I remember there being some kind of tranquilliser gun that only results in your target running about screaming for a while and alerting every c**t.

It must get better or there wouldn't be so many people who love it, but I always lose interest before that happens. The odd thing is that its sister game, System Shock 2, is one of my all-time favourites. I had trouble getting into that as well, initially. Happy to take suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong, as I'd love to have the experience that so many folk seem to have got out of it.