What Was The Last Game You Played?

19QOS19

Just rediscovered Into the Breach, the 16-bit styled turn-based strategy game from the FTL lads. It's more fun than I remember. Travel through time to prevent giant monsters destroying future Earth in multiple timelines. Like FTL, you can burn through a game in an hour or two, but there's a ton of replayability as you use different Pacific Rim-like robots to kick kaiju butt, transfer soldiers between timelines, and unlock new machines to smack the bad guys around with.
Not quite as repeatable as FTL, but that's a high bar. Still remarkably addictive fun.

I know tons of people who are really into this. Tempted to pick it up on the Switch next time it goes on sale.

I know tons of people who are really into this. Tempted to pick it up on the Switch next time it goes on sale.
Looks like it's about £11 normally? I think I maybe paid £6 or £7 on PC and it feels like I got a good deal, so £11 is probably fair.

You used to get a free copy of FTL with it on PC - if it comes with that on Switch, £11 would be a bargain!

Borderlands 3,about 25 hours in and absolutely loving it so far. Not a huge amount has changed since the 2nd game but that's not a bad thing by any means.
Just finished the story mode on that. Mayhem mode is bonkers.
Try and find as many of the Easter egg nods as you can

Baldur's Gate: Seige of Dragonspear.

Played the original and the sequel to death but never bought the expansions. Now the Enhanced Editions are kicking about thought I might as well make a point of finishing them.

Gone back to Sunless Sea. You sail a wee boat around and avoid Lovecraftian monsters and assorted weirdos. Inevitably your crew shit themselves and murder you. You then have to play another twenty hours to get back to where you were.

I am so shit at this game, but it's oddly compelling. I've never even managed to save enough money to buy a new boat. I'm probably dead again by the time you've read this.

Gone back to Sunless Sea. You sail a wee boat around and avoid Lovecraftian monsters and assorted weirdos. Inevitably your crew shit themselves and murder you. You then have to play another twenty hours to get back to where you were.
I am so shit at this game, but it's oddly compelling. I've never even managed to save enough money to buy a new boat. I'm probably dead again by the time you've read this.

I’ve bought this for Switch but haven’t played yet. Glad to hear it’s compelling, I read the collected works of Lovecraft early last year and I have a soft spot for the daft racist weirdo.

7 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I’ve bought this for Switch but haven’t played yet. Glad to hear it’s compelling, I read the collected works of Lovecraft early last year and I have a soft spot for the daft racist weirdo.

Yeah, it's more of a narrative experience than an action one. Most of the time you'll want to avoid combat, at least to start with. It's a very odd world, with a style of writing that doesn't explain much and leaves you to fill in the blanks yourself - quite effective, once you get used to it. It's a little bit grindy, as you'll need to work out routes to trade items and build your money up if you want to upgrade your ship and progress, but it's not too bad.

I'd very much recommend playing the easier mode to start with, which allows you to save your game. You will die in this, a lot, and things can spiral down quickly, when you thought you were doing OK. There are ways to provide your next captain with a head start, but it involved putting aside objects you'll want to use to progress in the early game, so it's more something you'd want to do later on. The option to save while you're learning the ropes will prevent you ragequitting when faced with going back through the early hours again. I didn't do that, and I really wish I had now.

I haven't died yet, BTW. I'm on about my tenth captain, with the last one being such a disaster that I lost absolutely everything and had to start again from scratch. Within touching distance of upgrading to a new ship, but I've been here before. I've probably played enough that I can offer a few tips if you have questions.

Final Fantasy VII Remake. I didn't play the first one but I'm pretty sure Sephiroth didn't show up this early to taunt Cloud. I've read a bit about them fucking with the chronology of events and saw a couple of theories about what some of the peripheral characters and monsters might be getting up to and honestly? Best game I'll have played in years if it's the case.

Finally got round to working my way through Fallen Order again after not playing it for a while.

Also trying to get 100% on Witcher 3 with the girlfriend, that's proving very time consuming to say the least!

18 minutes ago, Widge said:

Finally got round to working my way through Fallen Order again after not playing it for a while.

Also trying to get 100% on Witcher 3 with the girlfriend, that's proving very time consuming to say the least!

Are you going with Kera, Yennifer or Triss? 

8 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Are you going with Kera, Yennifer or Triss? 

Played it through with Yennifer this time, not that I had any say in that outcome. 😂

Wanted something less rage inducing than FIFA, and something less anger inducing than Football Manager, so downloaded Cities:Skyline as one of this months free games.

I'm hooked. 

Decided to read a beginner's guide after I'd stuck hours into it, to find ive made pretty much every mistake possible. Great fun though, half my time is spent dropping toll booths everywhere

18 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wanted something less rage inducing than FIFA, and something less anger inducing than Football Manager, so downloaded Cities:Skyline as one of this months free games.

I'm hooked. 

Decided to read a beginner's guide after I'd stuck hours into it, to find ive made pretty much every mistake possible. Great fun though, half my time is spent dropping toll booths everywhere

Can you post a link to the guide? Might give the game a try.

1 minute ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Can you post a link to the guide? Might give the game a try.

https://www.lovecitiesskylines.com/getting-started-guide-cities-skylines-tips-tricks/

That whole site is pretty decent for wee tips and that though.

Been playing Hitman 2016 over the last week or so. It's weird how it almost crosses genre between a stealth (naturally), open world (with its exploration) and a puzzle/strategy game (due to the thought that goes into dragging certain NPCs different places and what effect your actions will have on proceedings). I'd played through loads of Paris and Sapienza before as well as a chunk of Marrakesh and a tiny bit of Bangkok, so this playthrough has mostly been having fun with Paris and Sapienza while going through all the challenges in the other two (I've had the game for three years and still haven't done any of the final two locations). 

I think I've said this before, but putting the two best maps first made sense due to how they released the game, but playing it through as a package just makes it feel disappointing after Sapienza. Bangkok's fun, but it feels like a lesser version of Paris (although almost splitting the hotel in half makes for some fun sniping stuff), and Marrakesh feels really empty and boring due to the targets both being away from the masses of relatively useless NPCs. 

4 hours ago, Gerald Elbowdent said:

Bought MLB The Show 17 last night, heard good thingss.

Played it this morning, and it seems meh. INcredibly shallow gameplay. Started a career as a pitcher, and... that's all you do. Just pitch. For 9 innings a game. Nothing else happens. I wanted to bat as well, but I don't seem to be allowed to.

I have one of the years of this game. I found batting pretty easy. game was pretty boring in general.