East Region South Division Thread 2014-2015

Burnie_man

Was asked to post this for Geoff jones Dunbar united manager...

Under normal circumstances I would not respond to comments made on a public forum, but in light of the recent topic of discussion on this thread I feel it is now right to set the record straight.

Firstly, I have known Davie Lees for over 20 years and only last night enjoyed a cup of tea and chat with him on various topics. He attended my wedding day, was one of the first people to visit me and the family following the birth of my children - he was even my wingman and protector on my stag do which was littered with reprobates intent on carrying out the usual stag pranks. On the footballing side he was my manager for 5 years at Dunbar United where I successfully played as his captain for all but one year of his spell at the club. During this time I it should be noted that nobody worked harder than Davie to help improve everything within the club, which was at a very low ebb at the time of his appointment. I did my best to support him during this period which I hope he feels was always done in his best interests. He should be held in high regard by club supporters for this effort and commitment alone. Haddington Athletic will benefit greatly from Davie's expertise next season.

My decision to leave Dunbar United as a player was for personal reasons, and I have absolutely no regrets. I spent the season watching and learning from another highly qualified coach in Stevie McLeish and made many new friends and contacts, all of which have been to the benefit of Dunbar United this season. I hope that I contributed a little to the team as well.

As has been correctly mentioned, upon accepting the managers job here at Dunbar United I inherited an excellent group of players from Davie and their commitment cannot and should not be questioned. Without these foundations my first season as a manager would have been made much harder. It is my view that the players I added to supplement last years squad have improved the quality of the playing staff. We have a new and extremely hard working committee who have succeeded in getting the club back on its feet, and they have been a pleasure to work with this season and long may it continue. The future looks very bright but there is much work to do.

However it has still been an extremely difficult baptism into football management, the various reasons for which I will not discuss on an open forum. Unfortunately things have transpired which has affected my friendship with Davie, which I can only hope is repaired over time. I have done my best to conduct myself professionally and without agenda this season and whether or not I am the right man to take Dunbar United forward will I am sure be the topic of further debate over the next year or so. Mistakes have been made but they have been made honestly, and the lessons from them have been learned and in some cases learned harshly. We have a plan to take the club forward and nobody is working harder than me and my staff to try and reach our first goal of promotion to the Premier League. Ahead of next season we have identified a small group of players who would contribute significantly to the squad already signed and I can only hope we convince them to join over the coming weeks.

Dunbar United must now start to look forward rather than back. Davies tenure here is over and I would ask that all supporters and staff now leave the past where it belongs and allow everybody to move forward with a clean slate and optimism for the 2015-2016 season.

I look forward to seeing all supporters at our last home game this weekend and hope for continued, excellent support next season.

Geoff Jones, Manager

Dunbar United FC

Enough said

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Under normal circumstances I would not respond to comments made on a public forum, but in light of the recent topic of discussion on this thread I feel it is now right to set the record straight.

Firstly, I have known Davie Lees for over 20 years and only last night enjoyed a cup of tea and chat with him on various topics. He attended my wedding day, was one of the first people to visit me and the family following the birth of my children - he was even my wingman and protector on my stag do which was littered with reprobates intent on carrying out the usual stag pranks. On the footballing side he was my manager for 5 years at Dunbar United where I successfully played as his captain for all but one year of his spell at the club. During this time I it should be noted that nobody worked harder than Davie to help improve everything within the club, which was at a very low ebb at the time of his appointment. I did my best to support him during this period which I hope he feels was always done in his best interests. He should be held in high regard by club supporters for this effort and commitment alone. Haddington Athletic will benefit greatly from Davie's expertise next season.

My decision to leave Dunbar United as a player was for personal reasons, and I have absolutely no regrets. I spent the season watching and learning from another highly qualified coach in Stevie McLeish and made many new friends and contacts, all of which have been to the benefit of Dunbar United this season. I hope that I contributed a little to the team as well.

As has been correctly mentioned, upon accepting the managers job here at Dunbar United I inherited an excellent group of players from Davie and their commitment cannot and should not be questioned. Without these foundations my first season as a manager would have been made much harder. It is my view that the players I added to supplement last years squad have improved the quality of the playing staff. We have a new and extremely hard working committee who have succeeded in getting the club back on its feet, and they have been a pleasure to work with this season and long may it continue. The future looks very bright but there is much work to do.

However it has still been an extremely difficult baptism into football management, the various reasons for which I will not discuss on an open forum. Unfortunately things have transpired which has affected my friendship with Davie, which I can only hope is repaired over time. I have done my best to conduct myself professionally and without agenda this season and whether or not I am the right man to take Dunbar United forward will I am sure be the topic of further debate over the next year or so. Mistakes have been made but they have been made honestly, and the lessons from them have been learned and in some cases learned harshly. We have a plan to take the club forward and nobody is working harder than me and my staff to try and reach our first goal of promotion to the Premier League. Ahead of next season we have identified a small group of players who would contribute significantly to the squad already signed and I can only hope we convince them to join over the coming weeks.

Dunbar United must now start to look forward rather than back. Davies tenure here is over and I would ask that all supporters and staff now leave the past where it belongs and allow everybody to move forward with a clean slate and optimism for the 2015-2016 season.

I look forward to seeing all supporters at our last home game this weekend and hope for continued, excellent support next season.

Geoff Jones, Manager

Dunbar United FC

Well said!

Geoff Jones, Manager

Dunbar United FC

Well done. Let's hope the rest take note of this and follow your lead. NO MORE PERSONAL ATTACKS.

Geoff Jones, Manager

Dunbar United FC

Well said Geoff. Lets talk about football now!!

Ditto. Got caught up in tit for tat, forgot about why we are here.

I agree wholeheartedly and am as guilty as the next man. I would like to apologise to all that I have offended and had a go at, in my time on P@B, especially the Dunbar manager's past and present. I suppose you don't realise what offence it may cause some people, when we think we have the right to vent our frustrations just because we think we can say what we want on a forum like this. It will not happen again.

The Biggest signing Tranent ever made was John Clark. I believe his shorts are still being used as a marquee at the Queen's Garden Party each year. The depression left in the Grammar School Pitch at Dunbar where Andy Hogg dumped him on his bahoochy during one game is still roped off in case the kids fall into it. :lol:

Stoneyburn 2-1 Dunbar

Sam Young

Pistol!

It's been a pleasure this year debating on this forum. See you and Dunbar next year In the division above!

That's if Falkirk don't get promoted to the super next season ???? haha

So, with the South Division finishing up yesterday, a final statto post for the season

6_zpswfcglqc0.jpg

Obviously, I'm proud as Punch that we've finally achieved promotion - and a bit of icing on the cake claiming the title as well. Again, well done to Falkirk for that incredible 20 game unbeaten run - W18 D2 L0 - which took them to second spot. Commiserations to Rosyth and Whitburn who fell just shy. 56 pts still stands as the marker for 2nd place, though I was confident that that would be breached this season

The top 4 all finished with over 2pts a game, which I think is only the second occurrence since the South Division started. Unfortunately, Haddington's defeat in their last game at Livingston put paid to any record points haul; both for the club overall and the South Division since inception. Nitten still hold the record with 2.43 - 68 from 28 back in the South's first season 06/07. Fauldhouse gathered 2.39 in 12/13 - 67 from 28.

Avg pts per game:

Haddington 2.38, Falkirk 2.27, Rosyth 2.12, Whitburn 2.08

Hot-shots (avg goals for/game):

Haddington 3.42, Rosyth 3.27, Whitburn 2.92, Falkirk & Dunbar 2.85

Meanies (avg goals against/game):

Falkirk 1.12, Rosyth 1.35, Blackburn & West Calder 1.38, Haddington 1.54

Finishing form - last 6 games:

W5 D1 L0 Falkirk

W5 D0 L1 Haddington

W4 D2 L0 Whitburn

W4 D1 L1 Rosyth, Blackburn

W4 D0 L2 Lochgelly

One other set of numbers stands out - Lochgelly with 9 draws and West Calder with 11. Only those at the games can tell whether it's strikers or defenders each need (although with West Calder listed in the top 5 meanies, it's perhaps clearer)

Archived