Neil Lennon gone / Next Celtic manager

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not?

Celtic can only play the champions of another country in qualifying.

Dnipro

Zenit

Besiktas

Liege

Aalborg

Salzburg

Steau Bucharest

Leiga Warsaw

Zagreb

Red Star

That's me taken out the one's I know didn't win their league. I don't know anything about those other league's but no doubt some of those remaining failed to win their league as well which would rule them out too.

The likes of Arsenal and Napoli are in the play-off round. If Celtic got through the first 2 rounds they could surely face them or have I got this wrong?

You've got it wrong. As I said, they'd play champions of a league.

Sorry for popping my head into the big bhoys thread, however....the board looking everywhere, that their job.

Celtic have been very good over the past few years finding players and selling them for good profit, buy cheap sell on for profit, all Scottish clubs are trying to do this apart from 1. What's wrong with trying with the manager side? I welcome nobodies to Scottish football, as long as they are good and on the way up....it's like all our working dreams, step by step.

agreed .the next manager of Celtic has a free pass next season tbh..so it be the ideal time for a young manager...whats he got to worry about ?

Celtic can only play the champions of another country in qualifying.

That's me taken out the one's I know didn't win their league. I don't know anything about those other league's but no doubt some of those remaining failed to win their league as well which would rule them out too.

Ah OK

So still

Sparta Prague

Red Star

Bucharest

Bratislava

Salzburg

Warsaw

Zagreb

Ah OK

So still

Sparta Prague

Red Star

Bucharest

Bratislava

Salzburg

Warsaw

Zagreb

Celtic will be/ are usually one of the highest seeded teams in the Champions route as well i think.

Ah OK

So still

Sparta Prague

Red Star

Bucharest

Bratislava

Salzburg

Warsaw

Zagreb

Yes, I can't claim to know a thing about any of those sides but you'd have to legislate for at least a couple of their potential opponents being good sides.

I thought the Elfsborg side they faced last season were a most decent standard. Bagura being by far the pick of their players but I feel pride stopped Celtic from using him when he returned.

Ah OK

So still

Sparta Prague

Red Star

Bucharest

Bratislava

Salzburg

Warsaw

Zagreb

It's not possible for them to play Red Bull Salzburg or Steaua Bucharest either, since both of those are guaranteed to be seeded along with Celtic if they make it through.

Assuming everything goes to seeding in the first three rounds, their opponents in the final round will be one of the following:

Sparta Prague

Dinamo Zagreb

Ludogorets Razgrad

Maccabi Tel-Aviv

Sheriff Tiraspol

As I said, none of those sides are a great deal better than your average Premiership side. Look at the three sides they faced last season - none of them would have finished in the top 3 in the Premiership IMO.

Never heard of the guy.

Which puts him on a level of Dr Jo when he came to Celtic and he was one of the best managers they had in my lifetime.

Can't they just promise keane more money?

To be fair, no one really asked you if you had heard of the guy.

I can see why Celtic are interested, he has a proven track record in Europe so qualifying for the champions league should be straightforward, he's used to managing a big club in a big league, got a proven track record of signing quality players when trusted with a decent amount of cash and has had an illustrious playing career.

Aw that's cute, still taking as much of an interest in the new Celtic manager as the Celtic fans are. :)

Said from the start I would like Clarke or Mackay, but if we are really widening the net and willing to take on someone a bit different then I dare say it's a positive move.

"we need one of oor ain men in" reporting scotland at its finest

That mentality a section of our support has, well, it really does my tits in. It should be the best man for the job regardless.

I'm disappointed it isn't Keane for obviously lol reasons but in all seriousness it would be good to see Celtic appoint someone out with the expected candidates.

The guy has an excellent CV, is young and highly though of so why not?

Well I certainly wouldn't have a problem with bringing in a manager with no connection to the Club, and whilst I admit I don't know very much about the guy, apart from what I have read after his name came forward, he could turn out to be a good choice.

Pish.

Napoli

Bilbao

Leverkusen

Aresenal

Porto

Lille

Dnipro

Zenit

Feyenoord

Besiktas

Liege

Panathanikos

Aalborg

Salzburg

Steau Bucharest

Leiga Warsaw

Zagreb

Red Star

All about on par with St. Johnstone or ICT I would say.

Which ones can be drawn with Celtic?

Cue absolutely anyone with any sort of interest in this looking at each other uneasily. No idea what this guy has done to get a team from struggling to league winning in five years, but it's probably worth looking at.

Having supported Godset for the last 4 years since moving to Oslo, I'm pretty confident he'd be a revelation, however I'd be delighted if he stayed for another season or two.

He's one of the best man managers I've seen in a long long time, is also keen on playing very attractive football and have done an excellent job at bringingg through players from the youth system.

Archived