Are You Anti-Semitic?

TBF, people mix up Jews, Zionists, Israeli's and Semites. Israeli spokesman and lobbyists exploit this to the fullest, by labeling people who criticize Israel. Even Jews themselves confuse these terms. For example if your criticizing Israel you're not anti-Semitic. You're actually being anti Zionist, which is no different from being anti-American, anti-British or anti-German. Even then the people who use the anti-Semitic argument are in the wrong, because Israeli's aren't Semites; unlike their Palestinian counterparts. They are actually Ashkenazi, which are largely Eastern Europeans. It's a desperately low attempt at defending what are clearly indefeasible actions in the Gaza strip. However, it works because ordinary Jews associate anti-Semitism with being anti-Jewish, and when they make that connection. They'll inevitably fall into a pact mentality of thinking an attack on someone else is an attack on them.

Nobody really gives a f**k.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty ignorant towards it all but Judaism is just another god-bothering, sky-fairy cult.

Fair enough everyone should be free to believe whatever nonsense they want but the whole "chosen people" thing makes me naturally suspicious of the importance placed on the status Jewish ethnicity. Perhaps someone could explain better.

A relative graduated with a Jewish guy and my family were invited to stay with them for a week.

Don't want to stereotype but they were absolutely minted, owned a property business and one was American.

:lol:

Really nice people, I was really young so can't remember much apart from swimming in their pool.

The only thing I'm not comfortable with is international double standards in the way Israel is treated by America. Far too much power in the states.

I'm pretty ignorant towards it all but Judaism is just another god-bothering, sky-fairy cult.

Fair enough everyone should be free to believe whatever nonsense they want but the whole "chosen people" thing makes me naturally suspicious of the importance placed on the status Jewish ethnicity. Perhaps someone could explain better.

Everyone thinks they're the chosen people. Just listen to Alex Salmond. For some reason when people read a 2000 year old jotter they call people living now arrogant because of it.

Even then the people who use the anti-Semitic argument are in the wrong, because Israeli's aren't Semites; unlike their Palestinian counterparts. They are actually Ashkenazi, which are largely Eastern Europeans. It's a desperately low attempt at defending what are clearly indefeasible actions in the Gaza strip.

Are Sephardic Jews not the majority now amongst the Jewish population in Israel? What George Galloway types always neglect to mention is that they are totally indigenous to the Middle East and have no right of return to the Arab lands they had to flee.

1. As others have said, Semite and Jew are not the same thing.

2. Describing someone as a Jew is describing them by their religious belief nothing else. Any one of us could 'convert' to

Judaism.

3. I am oppossed to people with strong, bigotted religious beliefs having a strong influence in our society. Whether they be Christians, Jews, Muslims or whatever.

Middle aged to elderly white men run most things. I suggest for the sake of society we be banished to an island, along with the most depraved of our planet's women. Perhaps Hawaii?

2. Describing someone as a Jew is describing them by their religious belief nothing else. Any one of us could 'convert' to

Judaism.

No it isn't. Jews are an ethnic group - not all Jews are followers of Judaism. It's also pretty difficult to convert to most denominations of Judaism. While it's possible there isn't a Jewish version of the Alpha course.

No it isn't. Jews are an ethnic group - not all Jews are followers of Judaism. It's also pretty difficult to convert to most denominations of Judaism. While it's possible there isn't a Jewish version of the Alpha course.

Who decided Jews are a ethnic group? Are Muslims an ethnic group?

Some proof of your claims would be useful.

Also, proof that it is difficult to 'convert' to Judaism. I'm not saying you just turn up at a synagogue and hey presto but if someone really wanted to 'convert' I'd be surprised if they were turned away.

BTW do ethnic groups have denominations?

Who decided Jews are a ethnic group? Are Muslims an ethnic group?

Some proof of your claims would be useful.

Also, proof that it is difficult to 'convert' to Judaism. I'm not saying you just turn up at a synagogue and hey presto chop chop but if someone really wanted to 'convert' I'd be surprised if they were turned away.

BTW do ethnic groups have denominations?

When you say ethnic, do you mean genetic? If so that's very dubious. I'd lay a bet that there's a closer link to the BC inhabitants of Israel with current Palestinians than with the Jewish immigrants to Israel of the last half century.

I suggest for the sake of society we be banished to an island, along with the most depraved of our planet's women.

Good shout. In the context of the thread I have first dibs:

Kincardine: Jordan

Welshbairn: Gazza

Archived